Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle's rightful place IYO
with Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Houston, Dallas, SF, DC, Boston 49 34.51%
with Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis 93 65.49%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times

Advertisements

One tier has Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Boston, Houston, Dallas, DC, SF. Another tier has Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis.

Which tier does Seattle belong in, latter or former? Use size, economy, influence, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
just a tad notch above Denver, San Diego, and Minneapolis and well on its way to the next tier.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
For size Denver, SD, MSP
Influence Denver, SD, MSP
Economy Denver, SD, MSP, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit

On the whole I would put it with Denver, SD, MSP though and maybe some others as it is far more similar on most aspects and has quite a large size and economic distance to make up on the likes of Boston, DFW, DC, Houston, Philly and SF

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
just a tad notch above Denver, San Diego, and Minneapolis and well on its way to the next tier.
I dont think its that far leading Minneapolis IMO. Minneapolis also has a large economy and just slightly smaller than Seattle.

Seattle 4.2 million is still 1 million smaller than the higher tier's smallest metro, Detroit although Seattle's economy has caught up to the likes of Miami and Detroit. IMO Seattle is still a full tier behind the 'big boys'.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
For size Denver, SD, MSP
Influence Denver, SD, MSP
Economy Denver, SD, MSP, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit

On the whole I would put it with Denver, SD, MSP though and maybe some others as it is far more similar on most aspects and has quite a large size and economic distance to make up on the likes of Boston, DFW, DC, Houston, Philly and SF
Another possibility

A tier with DC, Boston, Houston, SF, Philly, Dallas, Atlanta. Another tier with Miami, Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis. A third tier for San Diego and Denver.

Must ask however, why would you place Atlanta with Seattle?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
I think Seattle and Minneapolis-St. Paul and Denver are somewhat close on a lot of levels. Denver has an inflated regional importance due to it being the largest city for a good chunk of the Western US. Sizewise, Seattle and Minneapolis strike me as larger metros with more to offer in some ways-economically I think they might be somewhat similar. All in all, the three are sort of close in terms of comparison--and in a way they provide a triangle of hubs anchoring the Northwest to the Upper Midwest to the High Plains and Rockies--sort of the main regional centers of the West. The next ten years will really determine if Seattle is going to continue to grow in importance or if it will sort of level off in terms of economic growth.

I've always considered San Diego to be sort of a tier below those cities in some ways... Maybe I undersestimate San Diego though, but despite being a really beautiful city that's great to visit, it seems a tad lower in terms of regional importance and economy.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I dont think its that far leading Minneapolis IMO. Minneapolis also has a large economy and just slightly smaller than Seattle.

Seattle 4.2 million is still 1 million smaller than the higher tier's smallest metro, Detroit although Seattle's economy has caught up to the likes of Miami and Detroit. IMO Seattle is still a full tier behind the 'big boys'.
Yeah Minneapolis and Seattle are fairly level entrepreneurially and such. I just place Seattle a tad higher in importance being a port city on the Pacific Rim. Denver is in a similar league, but just a little notch below Minneapolis and Seattle but as others have said a bit larger influence due to it being the largest city for an entire time zone. I don't even know where to place Detroit anymore. In the future I really do think Seattle will build itself up to the next tier, might take 20-30 years or so. The 1990's were Seattle's coming out decade. I don't expect to see that happening there for quite some time

Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've always considered San Diego to be sort of a tier below those cities in some ways... Maybe I undersestimate San Diego though, but despite being a really beautiful city that's great to visit, it seems a tad lower in terms of regional importance and economy.
I am no fan of San Diego, one of my least favorite cities but even I cannot deny its importance. San Diego is overlooked on importance because unlike Minneapolis, Denver, or Seattle its not the biggest in its region nor the most important, not even second in its state, maybe not even third depending how one were to rank Sacramento. However if San Diego were located in any other state/42 other states other than CA, TX, NY, FL, IL, PA, GA, and maybe WA it would be the clear largest and most important city in that state/region.

San Diego's economy while slightly smaller competes more closely with Denver, Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Seattle than any city below San Diego. San Diego is also one of the 20 largest metros just as Minneapolis, Phoenix, Denver, and Seattle are all in the 3/4 million limit.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
One of the things that seperates San Diego from Seattle/Minneapolis/Denver is that it isn't the main hub of its region.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM

299 posts, read 666,714 times
Seattle is a regional, national, and international hub. It is home to 8 Fortune-500 companies and 3 of them are in the top 100. It is economically sound because of its diverse economy with a greater opportunity for high-level wages. Size and population are not good comparisons to use because there are bigger cities than Seattle that have 1-sided unstable economies and are not world-class cities by any stretch. I like San Diego but it is not a top tier city- too over shadowed by Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City