U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:08 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,626,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Yup, polar opposites, weather-wise, culturally, and logistically.

Houston: You need a car (sprawling, driving city)
Boston: You have no need for a car; you have great walkability and public transit (compact, walking city)

Houston: Boiling hot year-round
Boston: Four seasons

Houston: Southern and Mexican culture
Boston: Italian and Irish culture

Houston: No foot traffic
Boston: Quite a bit of foot traffic

Give me Beantown down.

Does Boston even represent Irish and Italian culture? I think not. Besides Irish pubs, which I'm guessing can be found anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 AM

And it seems like Boston is almost expensive as New York, without offering nearly as much.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,756,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Does Boston even represent Irish and Italian culture? I think not.
How so?

The city's had a long string of Irish and Italian mayors.
Irish and Italian folks make up roughly 25% of the city's population.
Saint Patrick's Day and Saint Anthony's Feast are 2 of the biggest celebrations in the city.

What are the qualifications exactly for a city to "represent" a culture?

Quote:
And it seems like Boston is almost expensive as New York, without offering nearly as much.
That's fair. The same can be said for other places as well, though.
San Francisco comes to mind.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:14 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times
Quote:
Does Boston even represent Irish and Italian culture? I think not. Besides Irish pubs, which I'm guessing can be found anywhere.
Is that really a question???? Boston is THE most Irish city in the US and frankly it can go toe to toe with NYC on Italian culture.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:43 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,871,274 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you've never been to The North End? Come visit this weekend for St Anthony's Feast. You'll see Italian culture.

I'll add Boston's Caribbean culture is really beginning the outshine the city's Irish\Italian culture. Soon enough, that will be the new face of Boston.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:54 AM

6,574 posts, read 7,336,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm guessing you've never been to The North End? Come visit this weekend for St Anthony's Feast. You'll see Italian culture.
Given some of these posts, it's pretty clear some of these folks have never been to Boston, let alone the North End.

Heading your way for another trip in a few weeks. Dinner in the North End will be followed by a cannoli at Mike's. Can't wait.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Given some of these posts, it's pretty clear some of these folks have never been to Boston, let alone the North End.

Heading your way for another trip in a few weeks. Dinner in the North End will be followed by a cannoli at Mike's. Can't wait.
LOVE the North End! Best Italian food outside Italy.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
How so?

The city's had a long string of Irish and Italian mayors.
Irish and Italian folks make up roughly 25% of the city's population.
Saint Patrick's Day and Saint Anthony's Feast are 2 of the biggest celebrations in the city.

What are the qualifications exactly for a city to "represent" a culture?

That's fair. The same can be said for other places as well, though.
San Francisco comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Is that really a question???? Boston is THE most Irish city in the US and frankly it can go toe to toe with NYC on Italian culture.
Just because a lot of Irish Americans live there doesn't mean the city feels Irish. There are Irish pubs everywhere, and people celebrate St. Patrick's day everywhere.

NYC isn't really that Italian anymore anyway, the only Italian-American neighborhoods left are on the fringes of the city, and there aren't enough Italian immigrants for any neighborhood in the city to have a true Italian vibe. Little Italy in Manhattan is a total tourist trap, and even the one in The Bronx doesn't have many Italians living there anymore.

Irish and Italian people in the US are just mainstream white Americans at this point, unless they're immigrants or maybe have parents who are immigrants.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

I'll add Boston's Caribbean culture is really beginning the outshine the city's Irish\Italian culture. Soon enough, that will be the new face of Boston.
Are there a lot of immigrants from Italy in that neighborhood? If not, people coming together to eat Italian-American food once a year is not enough.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

221 posts, read 92,532 times
Quote:
Irish culture is all throughout Boston and the North End has remained distinctively Italian unlike Little Italy in New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or