U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,353,806 times

Advertisements

I would pick Boston. I think it's a great, dense city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM

281 posts, read 133,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I should preface this with you couldn't pay me a zillion dollars to live in Houston, but I've lived in Austin and visit Dallas frequently. I have a lot of friends who grew up in Houston.

Boston is a great city. Very different from Houston. You don't need a car in Boston and the idea of driving everywhere is partly what turns me off about Houston... also how can a city be the same size as the whole state of Rhode Island...

Boston has everything Houston has plus some in terms of sports teams, culture etc... but it has the added bonus of being closed to the mountains so skiing can be a day trip. I know that my friends from Houston love being so close to skiing.
Yup, polar opposites, weather-wise, culturally, and logistically.

Houston: You need a car (sprawling, driving city)
Boston: You have no need for a car; you have great walkability and public transit (compact, walking city)

Houston: Boiling hot year-round
Boston: Four seasons

Houston: Southern and Mexican culture
Boston: Italian and Irish culture

Houston: No foot traffic
Boston: Quite a bit of foot traffic

Give me Beantown down.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 PM

625 posts, read 364,693 times
Combined, Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Chelsea/Everett/Malden/ has a population density topping 14,000/ sq mile. Combined, those communities are interrupted by the Mystic and Charles River and inner Harbor; just slightly larger than SF in land but about equal in population, but with considerable transit capacity in reserve. During the college school year, density increases to just shy of 20,000/ sq mi, topping residential + student population density for SF.

Of course, what sets SF apart is Oakland and Daly City. Boston is roughly 20 years behind SF in scale and density, but on a similar linear trajectory of San Francisco in the mid-90s. That gap is narrowing just a bit. Boston is getting sharply denser. Currently, Boston and the surrounding core has more construction approved or underway than SF.....

Boston construction (partial list);

Development Map and Chart - Page 7 - archBOSTON.org

Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 PM

18,237 posts, read 25,935,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Yup, polar opposites, weather-wise, culturally, and logistically.

Houston: You need a car (sprawling, driving city)
Boston: You have no need for a car; you have great walkability and public transit (compact, walking city)

Houston: Boiling hot year-round
Boston: Four seasons

Houston: Southern and Mexican culture
Boston: Italian and Irish culture

Houston: No foot traffic
Boston: Quite a bit of foot traffic

Give me Beantown down.

These are the type of lies people sell on here. It's like saying Chicago is frozen all year. Let me know when it's boiling all year in January in Houston.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 PM

281 posts, read 133,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

These are the type of lies people sell on here. It's like saying Chicago is frozen all year. Let me know when it's boiling all year in January in Houston.
OK, haha, I was wrong on that one, but I stand by everything else I said. Summers are brutally hawt, though!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,416,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'm from Austin, Texas. Visit Houston frequently (for family reasons). Every time I leave Houston, I THANK GOD I live in Boston. Weather: It gets cold in the winter and snows. I may be wrong, but I thought that's what's supposed to happen in winter. Houston v. Boston: Boston, no question. DO expect to pay more for everything (especially housing).
That is a eurocentric stereotype. More than half of the world doesn't see snow in the winter.

If people in Panama or Vietnam saw snow, they would freak out

Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 AM

101 posts, read 46,283 times
Houston: Less Corrupt!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 AM

1,325 posts, read 679,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That is a eurocentric stereotype. More than half of the world doesn't see snow in the winter.

If people in Panama or Vietnam saw snow, they would freak out
Half the world doesn't see hundred degree days or 100% humidity. I somebody in Norway saw a flash thunderstorm 3 times a week they'd probably freak out. Everybody is used to their own weather.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 AM

763 posts, read 358,707 times
I'd take Houston over Boston by a fairly wide margin. Much better weather, better housing, better food, you don't have to live in a box. Definitely Houston for me.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM

125 posts, read 97,399 times
I've been to Houston a number of times. I've found that it is difficult to see the charms of Houston without getting a tour of the city by someone who lives there. The first time I went down there I assumed the whole city was strip-malls, generic high-rises and bland suburbs (my view from the massive highways). Houston's lack of walkability make it tricky to explore, but there are some terrific areas (I love the area around Rice University).

I still pick Eastern Mass/Boston for a number of reasons:

1.) Best K-12 education in the country
2.) Best higher education in the country (at the very least best concentration of elite universities)
3.) Access to the beautiful greater New England area (beaches, skiing, hiking, sailing)
4.) The Boston metro area has a very low crime rate
5.) There is almost universal health care coverage (healthy means happy)
6.) Access to excellent public transportation (by American standards)
7.) History/Culture/Charm (other intangibles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or