Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRYeBJ023M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
The cold is bad in say, Chicago and dozens of other regions.

Not so much so in Boston (believe it or not).

Dining in the Northeast; NYC, Philly, Boston. Very tough to beat.

nothing to do in SF or Boston compared to NYC? meh....

NYC is just a few hours down the tracks on the Acela Express.

fyi; that trainset blasting through Mansfield, MA is 660 feet long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xq3Rea670

/
I know from a temperature perspective Boston isn't much worse than D.C or Philly, and is milder than most mid-western cities like Chicago. But from my understanding it usually feels colder than it really is. Wind chills can be rough.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
The cold is bad in say, Chicago and dozens of other regions.

Not so much so in Boston (believe it or not).

Dining in the Northeast; NYC, Philly, Boston. Very tough to beat.

nothing to do in SF or Boston compared to NYC? meh....

NYC is just a few hours down the tracks on the Acela Express.

fyi; that trainset blasting through Mansfield, MA is 660 feet long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xq3Rea670

/
Does it snow?

If the answer is yes, its too cold for me. That doesn't mean I don't love Boston, Chicago, and other places to visit, just not to live.

The phrases "too cold" and "too hot" are subjective.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
There are Italian immigrants who work there every day, at least. Some of them may live there, some may not. There's subsidized housing there, but also a large degree of gentrification for the market-rate homes.

The thing about the Italian population in the US is that it tends to be descended from people who arrived here long ago and are very well integrated in mainstream society while still holding on to many aspects of their cultural heritage. There are still recent Italian immigrants, but it's not as common as it is for the Hispanic and Asian Populations.

I don't know why you need there to be a ton of recent Italian immigrants who all live in the same small neighborhood (that actually was the case historically in the North End, but things always change). There are other large Italian neighborhoods and cities around Boston like East Boston, Revere, Medford, etc. There's more space and affordability there. If you're an Italian immigrant living in the Boston area it might make more sense to work in the North End, but live in East Boston or Revere which is more affordable.
Well that's basically my point. The average Irish American or Italian American is far removed from Ireland/Italy.

Quote:
Irish culture is all throughout Boston and the North End has remained distinctively Italian unlike Little Italy in New York City.
There are neighborhoods in NYC with a high concentration of Italian-Americans (they tend to be suburbanish neighborhoods on the fringes of the city) . They might have a higher concentration of Italian-American restaurants (note that Italian-American food is much different from Italian food), but they don't have a super Italian vibe. It's been a while since large amounts of Italian immigrants came to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
There are Mexican restaurants everywhere, and people celebrate Cinco do Mayo everywhere.
Totally not the same thing. There are tons of people from Mexico in many different parts of the US, as well as their kids.

And Cinco de Mayo is not celebrated in most of Mexico (Puebla being the exception).

Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
I hate to pick against Houston in a time of need but Boston by a mile

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm guessing you've never been to The North End? Come visit this weekend for St Anthony's Feast. You'll see Italian culture.

I'll add Boston's Caribbean culture is really beginning the outshine the city's Irish\Italian culture. Soon enough, that will be the new face of Boston.
i highly doubt it. firstly, the hollywood perception is that boston is 100% irish-american. secondly, a large portion (most ?) of the caribbean people around the city are in the trap and tourists simply do not visit and arent interested to encourage economic growth in those cities:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...l#post47535901

Quote:
Irish culture is all throughout Boston and the North End has remained distinctively Italian unlike Little Italy in New York City.
+1, boston is a celebration of whiteness (especially irish-american culture).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-29-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i highly doubt it. firstly, the hollywood perception is that boston is 100% irish-american. secondly, a large portion (most ?) of the caribbean people around the city are in the trap and tourists simply do not visit and arent interested to encourage economic growth in those cities:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...l#post47535901
Hollywood's perception of Boston is quite dated, and I think will change with time.

Also, the North End was an immigrant slum for most of the 19th and 20th centuries. In the 50's and 60's, people couldn't get out fast enough. There were no tourists. The residents didn't even want to be there. It wasn't until the Bicentennial when President Ford and Queen Elizabeth visited the neighborhood, that outsiders took notice.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM

504 posts, read 616,136 times
That is the case in most of the United States though unless a place has a really strong non-white influence for some reason. Even NYC while being known for being diverse has a strong association in the media especially movies with Italian/Irish working class families. Even now that those groups are not as influential in the city. That is a general bias that needs to be dealt with. It does effect Boston a lot but it is not unique to Boston.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Houston. I've never found Boston appealing.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
That is the case in most of the United States though unless a place has a really strong non-white influence for some reason. Even NYC while being known for being diverse has a strong association in the media especially movies with Italian/Irish working class families. Even now that those groups are not as influential in the city. That is a general bias that needs to be dealt with. It does effect Boston a lot but it is not unique to Boston.
I've found a section in Boston that's listed on here as 33% other race.... I wonder what that "other race" is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City