Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
While this is true (Boston is kind of dull in regards to nightlife) I don't think NO can compete in the majority of categories.
I was just saying it’s not a complete wash for Boston either. I'd agree with previous matches that Boston vs. Hartford is pretty silly. And Boston vs. Cleveland was a bit unbalanced though the thread did generate quite a bit of discussion in which Cleveland's attributes were highlighted in spite of Boston's superior snubbing. So I don't think a thread based on the premise of one city being substantially larger than the other is cause for immediate dismissal. Especially with a city like New Orleans that is so unique, historical, and culturally rich that it does compel an interesting discussion.

Or we could retreat back to the same old Boston vs. San Francisco or Philadelphia vs. Boston threads that have already been beaten to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 04:15 PM

105 posts, read 194,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Knolegdeiskey Stop comparig Boston to cities that clearly can't compare, Cleveland, Hartford, now New Orleans these cities are several teirs below Boston on every level and are comparable to each other but not Boston.
Obviously you know nothing about New Orleans and just are taking what you have been shown on the news and such as your guide to what you believe the city actually is.

"Many tiers below Boston" ... Really? In what ways, i would like to know in what ways makes Boston tiers above New Orleans.

-Architecture: Beyond Gorgeous in New Orleans, absolute beautiful historic ( unique ) to its own. Unlike Boston which is normal, typical New England styled ( not that it looks bad, its actually really nice ) but has nothing on New Orleans Creole Cottages and Cajun manors. The city is noted for its French Quarter beauty, and beyond the French Quarter are Canel Street, the Garden District, Th lake Front, Treme, Maringy, Boson has nothing of the same.

-History:Boston is older than New Orleans. Boston formed 1630, with New Orleans forming in 1718, almost a century between the two ( ~88 years) but on a city scale of development that's nothing. Not only does New Orleans carry ( just as Boston does ) American historic significance but French as well as Spanish history. Have you ever heard of a Boston of New England Purchase, no because it never happened. The Louisiana Purchase only happened for the gaining of New Orleans. The other land gained wasn't even desired. If it weren't for New Orleans the states of the Mid-West wouldn't even have formed as early as they did. Another war would have started because of Manifest Destiny, the push for the west would never have played out as we know it did.

-Economy: Without New Orleans millions of people in the Mid West, Gulf Coast and parts of the West as well as thousands of other places not even in the country would deprived of the supplied goods that come through not only come from New Orleans ( which is the biggest of this port ) but the whole of The Port of South Louisiana, the largest in the western hemisphere, thats all of Canada, Mexico, the U.S. and South and Central America. Now compare that to Bostons port, which is only the biggest in the State of Massachusetts which is the size of New Orleans Cosmo area itself.

-Diversity: Have you never heard of Creoles or Cajuns, Native Louisianians. Creoles who are a mix of pre and post 20th century immigrants from Vietnam, Cuba, Germany, Italy ( mainly Sicily ), Ireland, African nations ( mainly Mali and Senegal slaves ), France, Haiti and Spain. Have you not heard of the Cajuns who are the decedents of exiled Acadia people during the mid 1700's by the British. Still today a large Vietnamese population lives in the city, a heavy Jewish minority once existed as well but has faded since 05'.

-Nightlife: I have no idea what the nightlife is like, i dont club or any of that.

-Skyline: This is more of a opinion rather something that can be factually proven.

This ...

or This ...

That's a matter of personnel preference to me, really.
I think Boston wins there.

-Culture: Who doesn't know about Louisiana Cajuns and Creoles, The unique Cuisine, Languages, Architecture, Music. Boston nor Massachusetts has anything that can compare.

-Quality of Life: Beyond the common belief that News Orleans is the crime capital of the universe ( ridiculous ) its ranks high in murder rates but is like 73rd in the nation ( that i heard on the news ). I dont know what crime is like in Boston. New Orleans is a great place to live, laid back atmosphere, perfecting school system and hundreds of parks.

So how does Boston fair now. Its on a much higher tier than you explain. Boston is not a bad city, but New Orleans beats it, hands down.

Last edited by E.RR.Armoneaux; 12-30-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I was just saying it’s not a complete wash for Boston either. I'd agree with previous matches that Boston vs. Hartford is pretty silly. And Boston vs. Cleveland was a bit unbalanced though the thread did generate quite a bit of discussion in which Cleveland's attributes were highlighted in spite of Boston's superior snubbing. So I don't think a thread based on the premise of one city being substantially larger than the other is cause for immediate dismissal. Especially with a city like New Orleans that is so unique, historical, and culturally rich that it does compel an interesting discussion.

Or we could retreat back to the same old Boston vs. San Francisco or Philadelphia vs. Boston threads that have already beeen beaten to death.
I agree, this is much more sensible than the Hartford vs Boston thread... Cleveland vs. Boston seems fair enough, and I don't think that this thread is unnecessary.

I know much more about Boston than New Orleans, so I can't provide a really objective comparison. (2 day stay vs. 3 years)

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post
Obviously you know nothing about New Orleans and just are taking what you have been shown on the news and such as you guide to what you believe the city actually is.

"Many tiers below Boston" ... Really? In what ways, i would like to know it what makes Boston tiers above New Orleans.

-Architecture: Beyond Gorgeous in New Orleans, absolute beautiful historic ( unique ) to its own. Unlike Boston which is normal, typical New England styled ( not that it looks bad, its actually really nice ) but has nothing on New Orleans Creole Cottages and Cajun manors. The city is noted for its French Quarter beauty, Boson has nothing of the same.

-History:Boston is older than New Orleans. Boston formed 1630, with New Orleans formed 1718, almost a century between the two but on a city scale of development thats nothing. Not only does New Orleans carry ( just as Boston does ) American historic significance but French as well as Spanish history. Have you ever heard of a Boston of New England Purchase, no because it never happened. The Louisiana Purchase only happen for the gaining of New Orleans. The other land gained wasn't even desired. If it werent for New Orleans the states of the Mid West wouldn't even have formed as early as they did. Another war would have started because of Manifest Destiny, the push for the west would never have played out as we know it did.

-Economy: Without New Orleans millions of people in the Mid West, Gulf Coast and parts of the West as well as thousands of other places would deprived of the supplied goods that come through not only come from New Orleans ( which is the biggest of this port ) but the whole of The Port of South Louisiana, the largest in the western hemisphere, thats all of Canada, Mexico, the U.S. and South and Central America. Now compare that to Bostons port, which is only the biggest in the State of Massachusetts which is the size of New Orleans Cosmo area itself.

-Diversity: Have you never heard of Creoles or Cajuns, Native Louisianians. Creoles who are a mix of pre and post 20th century immigrants from Vietnam, Cuba, Germany, Italy ( mainly Sicily ), Ireland, African nations ( mainly Mali and Senegal slaves ), France, Haiti and Spain. Have you not heard of the Cajuns who are the decedents of exiled Acadia people during the mid 1700's by the British. Still today a large Vietnamese population lives in the city, a heavy Jewish minority once existed as well but has faded since 05'.

-Nightlife: I have no idea what the nightlife is like, i dont club or any of that.

-Skyline: This is more of a opinion rather something that can be factually proven.

-Culture: Who doesn't know about Louisiana Cajuns and Creoles, The unique Cuisine, Languages, Architecture, Music. Boston nor Massachusetts has anything that can compare.

-Quality of Life: Beyond the common belief that News Orleans is the crime capital of the universe its ranks high in murder rates but is like 73rd in the nation ( that i heard on the news ). I dont know hat crime is like in Boston. New Orleans is a great place to live, laid back atmosphere, perfecting school system and hundreds of parks.

So how does Boston fair now. Its on a much higher tier than you explain. Boston is not a bad city, but New Orleans beats it, hands down.
LOL. See this is why I refrain on commenting when I know a lot about one city and next to nothing about the other.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL. See this is why I refrain on commenting when I know a lot about one city and next to nothing about the other.
So are you saying that Boston has a unique Language, unique architecture, far greater history than New Orleans, more economic significance than New Orleans or anything else. I'm pretty sure you arn't because there are very few com parables where Boston wins against New Orleans. New Orleans reigns greater, At least in this comparison. Maybe if this were a population challenge, then Boston would be the best, but here no.

New Orleans is my city, but truthfully there is no match here, New Orleans wins.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
So are you saying that Boston has a unique Language, unique architecture, far greater history than New Orleans, more economic significance than New Orleans or anything else. I'm pretty sure you arn't because there are very few com parables where Boston wins against New Orleans. New Orleans reigns greater, At least in this comparison. Maybe if this were a population challenge, then Boston would be the best, but here no.

New Orleans is my city, but truthfully there is no match here, New Orleans wins.
OK now we are getting extreme sides on both arguments, neither of which are a true representation of either city when one poster undermines the other city in order to boost its attributes. New Orleans is fabulous and rich in culture and tradtion but that doesn't mean Boston has no competition either.

Culturally Boston has famous traditions of Irish, Portuguese, Italians (the best Little Italy: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...orhood-us.html) and Asians and more recently a very large influx of Brazilians and Dominicans which has made its mark on the culinary community along with its homegrown culinary traditions; yes New England seafood selection could most certainly go toe to toe with New Orleans. Boston history doesn't need a whole lot of introduction considering it fills several chapters of early American History from the Pilgrim/Puritans, to the Tea Party, to the Shot heard round the world.

You would have to be nuts to think that Boston doesn't have uniqie architecture. C'mon, get real!

Acorn Street (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emjay87/2083153521/ - broken link) by emjay87 (http://www.flickr.com/people/emjay87/ - broken link), on Flickr

Beacon Hill homes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jglsongs/2752707270/ - broken link) by jglsongs (http://www.flickr.com/people/jglsongs/ - broken link), on Flickr

Boston Old State House 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottweatherson/1387579644/ - broken link) by Scott Weatherson (http://www.flickr.com/people/scottweatherson/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-30-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:

Are you serious??

Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:

Without question regardless of the port of NOLA Boston detroys the economic output of NOLA

Great post though, honestly did enjoy reading but economy, well no they are not even close

I am pretty sure the GDP generated by the Boston MSA let alone the CSA is larger than the whole state LA.

FWIW I love NOLA and believe to be the most unique city in the US, albeit not very large

Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK now we are getting extreme sides on both arguments, neither of which are a true representation of either city when one poster undermines the other city in order to boost its attributes. New Orleans is fabulous and rich in culture and tradtion but that doesn't mean Boston has no competition either.

Culturally Boston is has famous traditions of Irish, Portuguese, and Italians and more recent a very large influx of Brazilians and Dominicans which has made its mark on the culinary community along with its homegrown culinary traditions; yes New England seafood selection could most certainly go toe to toe with New Orleans. Boston history doesn't need a whole lot of introduction considering it fills several chapters of early American History from the Pilgrim/Puritans, to the Tea Party, to the Shot heard round the world.

You would have to be nuts to think that Boston doesn't have uniqie architecture. C'mon, get real!

Acorn Street (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emjay87/2083153521/ - broken link) by emjay87 (http://www.flickr.com/people/emjay87/ - broken link), on Flickr

Beacon Hill homes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jglsongs/2752707270/ - broken link) by jglsongs (http://www.flickr.com/people/jglsongs/ - broken link), on Flickr
Like i said before, Bostons architecture ( like any other New England state ) is beautifully lovely. Weather or not New Orleans' is better, that would be a hard decision but really if you chose Bostons' architecture you will love many other New England cities and even entire states because of so.

New Orleans architecture has been formed in Louisiana, has been modernized and is still being used today, and will continue to do so. The style of Louisiana may spread but has yet to do so, while what exist in Boston is not a representation of Boston because it was not formed there nor is it only displayed in that city solely. Boston has no true architecture, cities like St.Augustine, Florida, Savannah, Georgia and maybe some others may be a comparable choice but with architecture, Boston can't win justifiably against New Orleans.

Be happy to prove me wrong.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Like i said before, Bostons architecture ( like any other New England state ) is beautifully lovely. Weather or not New Orleans' is better, that would be a hard decision but really if you chose Bostons' architecture you will love many other New England cities and even entire states because of so.

New Orleans architecture has been formed in Louisiana, has been modernized and is still being used today, and will continue to do so. The style of Louisiana may spread but has yet to do so, while what exist in Boston is not a representation of Boston because it was not formed there nor is it only displayed in that city solely. Boston has no true architecture, cities like St.Augustine, Florida, Savannah, Georgia and maybe some others may be a comparable choice but with architecture, Boston can't win justifiably against New Orleans.

Be happy to prove me wrong.

Architecture in New Orleans is not organic to that area!? Its born of colonial Spanish and French architecture which morphed into the victorian era. Its all colonial architecture, same with the other cities you mentioned.

Boston has colonial architecture too, just not the same colonizers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City