Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM

65 posts, read 134,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What is that supposed to even mean? Denver is just like every other big city in that regard -- it's not some small town in the mountains..
Big cities are in no way identical in their racial makeup. There was no mystery or ambiguity or hidden agenda in my post. I was led by residents to understand that Denver had a higher percentage of Caucasians than other comparably sized cities, that's all, and was asking if this was actually true.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
Big cities are in no way identical in their racial makeup. There was no mystery or ambiguity or hidden agenda in my post. I was led by residents to understand that Denver had a higher percentage of Caucasians than other comparably sized cities, that's all, and was asking if this was actually true.
I took this:
Quote:
do they have different culture and outlook or have they pretty much adopted an Anglo POV?
as asking if the non-white population in Denver was, for lack of a better term, "white-washed", which tends to be a common misconception about Colorado.

Both Denver and Aurora are majority-minority cities. There is no lack of diversity in either one. Some of the suburbs are indeed very white, but the two anchor cities (and some of the larger suburbs) are not.

The Denver metro area as a whole is 65.8% white.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why San Francisco?

San Francisco is losing its black population.
So are tons of other large cities across the nation (the south is an exception, it seems). In fact the largest percentage drop in black residents over the past decade in the Bay Area was in Oakland, not San Francisco.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Sacramento. Most racially integrated city in the country. There is very little racial tension here.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
I don't think there's an answer to the question. All cities seem to be the same to me. I think there tends to be "racial harmony" (or integration) between Asians and whites in most cities. There's not really black and white "harmony" (integration) anywhere with the exception of rapidly gentrifying inner city neighborhoods (Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Fort Greene, U Street in DC). In the Northeast, there's much more integration between blacks and Latinos (specifically Puerto Ricans and Dominicans) than in most parts of the country.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
. There's not really black and white "harmony" (integration) anywhere with the exception of rapidly gentrifying inner city neighborhoods (Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Fort Greene, U Street in DC).
In the neighborhoods of Oakland where Whites and Blacks are actually integrated(along 580 and in the hills), I would rate the level of racial 'harmony' between Blacks and Whites to be rather high actually.

Especially in the Southeastern Hills District where most of the households are upper income of which Blacks are a substantial part of the population, along with Whites and Asians. Interesting cause the SE Hills area of Oakland is totally suburban.

Also, what about Suburban DC? Staten Island?

Last edited by 18Montclair; 01-03-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM

171 posts, read 218,553 times
Quote:
Sometimes a city that is racially diverse is the worst place for a child to grow up enlightened about other races, because they are only exposed to mutual hatred and "otherness," or there is an exaggerated discrepancy where the whites are the only ones with decent jobs/education. What cities would you say have a large number of successful, happy people of races other than white? In particular, cities where African Americans and/or Latinos (two of the most common victims of severe racial prejudice) are commonly seen in respectable positions and mixing socially with other racial groups?

I understand that there is a real value in African Americans, Latinos, etc. having places and spaces where they can hang out without white folks butting our noses in and talking over everyone but I like for there to be at least some exposure to each other's cultures!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In the neighborhoods of Oakland where Whites and Blacks are actually integrated(along 580 and in the hills), I would rate the level of racial 'harmony' between Blacks and Whites to be rather high actually.

Especially in the Southeastern Hills District where most of the households are upper income of which Blacks are a substantial part of the population, along with Whites and Asians. Interesting cause the SE Hills area of Oakland is totally suburban.

Also, what about Suburban DC? Staten Island?
I don't think racial integration and "racial harmony" are the same thing. For example, Columbia Heights is one of Washington, DC's most integrated neighborhoods, and judging by the statistics, one would infer that blacks, whites and Hispanics all live together in harmony. In reality, you have a very large group of white gentrifiers (some Asian), poor blacks and very poor ethno-centric Hispanics (primarily Salvadoran). There is little interaction among these groups. The picture on the ground is not nearly as pretty as it is from 30,000 feet on Google Maps.

I can't think of any place in the U.S. where blacks, whites and Hispanics really socialize together in great numbers, attend the same churches, go to the same nightclubs, etc. This would be "harmony" in my view. But if "racial harmony" means a lack of overt racism, then I'd say that that constitutes the majority of cities in the U.S. Even when I volunteered in Mississippi after Katrina, I didn't see any white guys in pick up trucks waving nooses in front of me. The people there were very nice, actually.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM

171 posts, read 218,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think racial integration and "racial harmony" are the same thing. For example, Columbia Heights is one of Washington, DC's most integrated neighborhoods, and judging by the statistics, one would infer that blacks, whites and Hispanics all live together in harmony. In reality, you have a very large group of white gentrifiers (some Asian), poor blacks and very poor ethno-centric Hispanics (primarily Salvadoran). There is little interaction among these groups. The picture on the ground is not nearly as pretty as it is from 30,000 feet on Google Maps.

I can't think of any place in the U.S. where blacks, whites and Hispanics really socialize together in great numbers, attend the same churches, go to the same nightclubs, etc. This would be "harmony" in my view. But if "racial harmony" means a lack of overt racism, then I'd say that that constitutes the majority of cities in the U.S. Even when I volunteered in Mississippi after Katrina, I didn't see any white guys in pick up trucks waving nooses in front of me. The people there were very nice, actually.

Yeah, racism will never go away, or will prejudice from skin color, etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Yeah, racism will never go away, or will prejudice from skin color, etc.
I don't think it's racism. It's just that people have their preferences. There aren't too many white people who are going to line up at Park to go to the Lebron James birthday blowout to pour bottles of Muscato all over scantily-clad women as "Ball So Hard" plays in the background. And there aren't too many black guys who want to stand around nervously with a Yuengling in hand while waiting to approach a group of girls as rock music plays in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City