U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 12:25 PM

65 posts, read 118,864 times

Advertisements

Sometimes a city that is racially diverse is the worst place for a child to grow up enlightened about other races, because they are only exposed to mutual hatred and "otherness," or there is an exaggerated discrepancy where the whites are the only ones with decent jobs/education. What cities would you say have a large number of successful, happy people of races other than white? In particular, cities where African Americans and/or Latinos (two of the most common victims of severe racial prejudice) are commonly seen in respectable positions and mixing socially with other racial groups?

I understand that there is a real value in African Americans, Latinos, etc. having places and spaces where they can hang out without white folks butting our noses in and talking over everyone but I like for there to be at least some exposure to each other's cultures!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,982,263 times
Atlanta

Old 12-31-2011, 06:39 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,953,389 times
Atlanta = large white upper middle class
Atlanta = large black upper middle class
Atlanta = large Asian / Hispanic upper middle class

Old 12-31-2011, 06:49 PM

83 posts, read 141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta = large white upper middle class
Atlanta = large black upper middle class
Atlanta = one of the most violent cities in America. not that it has to do with racism.

West coast cities are said to be more racially harmonious, not sure if that's true though.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,192,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
Atlanta = one of the most violent cities in America. not that it has to do with racism.

West coast cities are said to be more racially harmonious, not sure if that's true though.
I would say Northern California cities (i.e. Sacramento, Oakland) are more racially harmonious than SoCal cities. L.A. has one of the highest rates of segregation in the country. Although L.A. is very diverse, it is incredibly segregated. In recent years, tensions between Mexicans and native born Blacks in formerly Black majority areas have been widely publicized in the media with stories of Mexican gang bangers randomly victimizing Black people. The L.A. area is also known for being a big racist White Skinhead capital of the country as well.

http://www.salon.com/2011/03/29/most...es/slide_show/

Afterall, the 1992 L.A. riots were fueled by racial tension between Korean business owners in L.A. ghettos along with a mostly White occupying police force dealing with a seething oppressed ghettoized Black population. All of that racial tension exploded into widespread violence not seen in decades in L.A. in 92'. Racial tensions definitely exist in Northern California cities like San Francisco. Native born Blacks, as a whole, have definitely been priced out of SF or pressured to leave due to poor conditions in The City's remaining Black neighborhoods. Oakland has become much more diverse in the past few decades. Oakland, which used to be pretty much Black majority from the 70's through the 90's at an undercounted 47%, is now one of the most (if not the most) diverse city in America with almost all races (White, Black, Hispanic, Asian) represented equally.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43066296/The_...merica?slide=9

Many parts of Oakland are unusually integrated as well as you can see from this 2010 Census map study:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662328/...d-is-your-city

Last edited by goldenchild08; 12-31-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,205 times
As you suggest, sometimes there is an inverse relationship between racial harmony and racial diversity. So you might have to decide which of the two is more important to you. The races may get along great in Seattle, but certain groups will be "lacking". On the other hand, you'll find the ultimate diversity in NYC (esp. the outer boroughs), but "harmony" is not always the name of the game.

I can't name any city, off the top of my head, that really blends the two variables all that well.

The Bay Area may come close, but there are still definite divisions.

Dallas or Houston might work, except that they're in Texas, lol. I mean, it's off topic, but do you really want to live in Texas?

And believe it or not, Chicago is actually great for diversity and for getting along, but it's also so segregated that the diversity is not always obvious, and the "getting along" is mostly with one's own kind.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post

Dallas or Houston might work, except that they're in Texas, lol. I mean, it's off topic, but do you really want to live in Texas?
idiotic question.

As the second most populated state in the union, evidently millions of people want to live there.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nope. People there love to exaggerate this (out of fear perhaps?), but Atlanta is still black and white for the most part.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
idiotic question.

As the second most populated state in the union, evidently millions of people want to live there.
Hit a nerve did I? I was just going for a gentle ribbing.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Hit a nerve did I? I was just going for a gentle ribbing.
No nerve hit. My skin is too thick for silliness to get at my nerves. I do like to call out jealousy (or just plain idiotic comments).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or