Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,583,398 times

Advertisements

Even if they aren't making a full economic turn around. What past US Industrial boom cities seem to be getting it right again? Can include overall metro area.

I haven't been to many rust belt cities. So I want to know what you think.

Also, just as a bonus question...

Why didn't Chicago end up "as bad" as the other rust belt cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,116,726 times
I can speak for Milwaukee-----I think its made significant progress in the past 15 years or so.

Significant building downtown including condo towers-----great progressive east side----revamped and interesting 3rd ward area-----nice progress in the lakefront area of Lake Michigan with revitalized summerfest grounds and the Calavatra Art Center.

Yes Milwaukee is no longer the sleepy city seen in Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley----its come a distance.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 AM

771 posts, read 1,386,886 times
The only rust belt cities that I can see that are truly making a comeback are Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. I don't think Chicago really counts as a rustbelt city anymore. Also, Chicago didn't suffer the same as a lot of rust belt cities because it did a really good job of diversifying its economy something that devastated other cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Why didn't Chicago end up "as bad" as the other rust belt cities?
Another city that is surprisingly considered in the Rust Belt (recovered though) is Boston. I think diversifying the economy earlier on allowed for a smoother transition than having the floor fall from beneath your feet, something that happened in Pittsburgh in 81 and what is happening in Detroit and Cleveland just recently

Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I can speak for Milwaukee-----I think its made significant progress in the past 15 years or so.

Significant building downtown including condo towers-----great progressive east side----revamped and interesting 3rd ward area-----nice progress in the lakefront area of Lake Michigan with revitalized summerfest grounds and the Calavatra Art Center.

Yes Milwaukee is no longer the sleepy city seen in Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley----its come a distance.
From an outside perspective I have always viewed Milwaukee to be a part of Chicago land. (Is this wrong?)

On a side note...

Do you think Milwaukee would be as prosperous as it is now w/ out Chicago being just south of it?

Anyways, it is good to hear of any growth in that region.

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
The only rust belt cities that I can see that are truly making a comeback are Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. I don't think Chicago really counts as a rustbelt city anymore. Also, Chicago didn't suffer the same as a lot of rust belt cities because it did a really good job of diversifying its economy something that devastated other cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit.
I will need to look up what you mean as far as "diversifying" it's economy. Does this simply mean that Chicago expanded in multiple job areas? Where Detroit only expanded it's industrial sector?

I agree that Chicago isn't viewed as a rust belt city. It just fascinates me to see that it isn't suffering as bad as other great lake area metro's with multiple millions of residents.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 AM

jdaelectro------Milwaukee is not part of Chicagoland----its 90 miles north of Chicago----about a 2 hour drive from downtown to downtown.

Milwaukees revitalization has very little to do with Chicago and more to do with some vision and foresight of city planners and developers.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
jdaelectro------Milwaukee is not part of Chicagoland----its 90 miles north of Chicago----about a 2 hour drive from downtown to downtown.

Milwaukees revitalization has very little to do with Chicago and more to do with some vision and foresight of city planners and developers.
Okay good to know. I always thought their metro areas overlapped(making a much larger metro area). I guess they have different characteristics all their own. Good to hear that there is a distinction.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,830,615 times
Pittsburgh.

At one time it was famous for dirty air.

It lost half of its population, and in the 80s and early 90s was not a nice place.

Now it is financial/biomedical/gas drilling center.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 AM

I agree---Pittsburgh has had a real renaissance---great job of urban planning and develpment.

You had a mayor there some years ago who led the fight for resurgence---was his name Caliguri??

Hats off to Pittsburgh-----nice job in development----a fine city with great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.