U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,520,379 times

Advertisements

Albany, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,396,127 times
Where is Albuquerque NM ????????

Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM

11,215 posts, read 7,610,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
That's gotta be a lie. Everyday El Paso almost blows away with their constant 97,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 MPH winds that never seem to stop blowing...
its windy at certain times of the year, but not hurricane type winds.
I'll take a wind over everything else on this thread.
In fact I wouldn't even put wind alone in the natural disaster category

Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM

8,646 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Saint Paul would be safe if you took out Blizzards, Thunder storms, Tornado warnings, Floods, High humidity and Sub zero temperatures.
Do Blizzards even count as natural disasters, I mean if you get several a year every year, its not really a disaster.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM

13 posts, read 33,637 times
In my opinion the state of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana are the most safest place to live in USA from Natural Disaster.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM

10,287 posts, read 12,407,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Phoenix, summer 2011

Dust Storm (Dust Storm | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link) by d2-photos (Flickr: d2-photos - broken link), on Flickr
awful

Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Chesapeake, Virginia, gets a Category 2 Hurricane every 43 years.
http://www.globaldatavault.com/img/m...icane-risk.jpg

Erie, Pa, has the sixth heaviest annual snowfall of any US city (>100K). More than 11,000 Americans are treated every year for snow-shoveling injuries, much much more than the number injured by tornadoes..
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...sits-annually/

Fort Wayne,, Indiana, has a higher risk of Tornadoes than the whole state of Iowa, higher than such places as Hollis OK and Colby KS.
http://www.usa.com/fort-wayne-in-nat...s-extremes.htm

InGrand Rapids, Michigan, in 1956, 18 people were killed by a tornado. Grand Rapids newspapers are editorializing about the unacceptable risk of people there freezing to death.
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-r...aths_in_m.html

Green Bay, Wisconsin, is a lot colder than Grand Rapids.

So much for the top five. Where does BS like this come from?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-12-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,645,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Do Blizzards even count as natural disasters, I mean if you get several a year every year, its not really a disaster.
Only to people who never lived in an area that has them. I've driven many miles through blizzards and thunderstorms over the years. I'd like to see someone drive through a tornado. A natural disaster does major destruction and has the potential for significant loss of life. I always thought living in the general Green Bay area that I was safer than everywhere else. Where I grew up (northern Door County), we didn't even have tornados. No poisonous bugs or snakes, no predator animals to worry about, etc., very safe.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,429,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Saint Paul would be safe if you took out Blizzards, Thunder storms, Tornado warnings, Floods, High humidity and Sub zero temperatures.
Along with derechos/straight line winds, and even wildfires. We haven't had any major wildfires here any time recently. or even for a long time, but it can get really dry and windy here, and when it does, the Twin Cities are often at very high risk for wildfires. They just don't seem to happen very often.

People also underestimate blizzards. Yes, we get them decently often, but those are usually just bad snowstorms, not true, full out blizzards. What people don't realize is that blizzards to have a huge potential for loss of life.

Here's your average dangers from a blizzard:

2) High winds, ice, and snow cause low visibility and slippery roads, making it extremely dangerous for cars, light rail, and airplanes.

3) High snow totals can shut down transportation, and if the snow is enough, can cause people problems with being trapped in homes and vehicles, and can literally shut down the city.

4) High winds from blizzards mixed with icy snow can hurt people very badly (cut them) if they are outside.

5) High winds from blizzards and low temperatures can make it deadly just to walk outside.

But here's what can make blizzards in the Upper Midwest really dangerous:

First of all, a lot of snow can collapse homes and buildings (like the storm that collapsed the Metrodome, or the big snow storm in Owatonna this past May), which kills people and costs a lot of money.

Second of all, very high winds, very low temperatures, and high snow combined do cause a natural disaster that can kill a lot of people. High snow totals bury houses and roads, and then snow plows are often taken off of the roads. When you have a blizzard with winds 60-70mph+, that can knock out power lines. When you knock out power, people lose heating. When people lose heating, their houses begin to become the same temperature as outside, which if that is below 0, the houses get colder quicker. People then die of hypothermia, especially during the night, when they end up sleeping and not staying active. (People also try to light fires for warmth, which if gone wrong, can spread and burn down large amounts of neighborhoods, due to the dry air and inaccessibility of the fire department.) Also, it is hard for rescue efforts to occur, because of the large amount of snow burying everything. Now imagine all of that happening in the middle of a big city in large quantities. It hasn't happened yet, but it is overwhelmingly possible. Blizzards can indeed have high death tolls, from on the highways to homes without power. Not to mention the fact that large snow totals can pile up on the weak roofs of poorly or even well built houses, which can cause the roofs to collapse under the weight. People can't always go outside to get the snow off of their roofs, because the cold air or wind would kill them by either hypothermia or by falling.

People from warm states don't know all of the possibilities of disaster that blizzards can have.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM

690 posts, read 772,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
10 Safest Cities in America From Natural Disasters

1. Chesapeake, VA
2. Erie, PA
3. Fort Wayne, IN
4. Grand Rapids, MI
5. Green Bay, WI
6. Henderson, NV
7. Phoenix, AZ
8. Provo, UT
9. St. Paul, MN
10. Stamford, CT

Interesting. Personally, I think it's a mistake to put any coastal city on the list, so that takes care of Chesapeake. Phoenix also strikes me as risky given its precarious water situation. Same goes for Henderson, NV.
Stamford? well someone didnt think this through...I guess sandy doesnt count
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or