U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,407,221 times

Advertisements

I have been to a host of the major cities of the United States: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, Austin, Houston, Atlanta, D.C., and New York are all the "largest of the large" that come to mind.

I enjoyed Austin. I found Houston to be fine but just very flat. I liked Atlanta and D.C. more than I thought I would. The sheer monstrosity and complexity of NYC is purely mind boggling! San Jose is a large sprawling suburb of itself but a safe and comfortable place to live and work. L.A. has some obnoxious turd residents, but the sprawly, jigsaw puzzle-like nature of the place makes it one of the most fascinating cities in the world in terms of its development.

Well, that leaves San Francisco. I'm not talking about the whole Bay Area as it overall has many positives, rather just that 49 square mile bloc of the "East Coast city on the West Coast." I mean, you visit and you're taken aback by the beauty, right? You have Marin and Oakland across the bay, you have great views of the bay, Golden Gate and rest of the city from atop of one of the seven big hills. There's the Embarcadero, the lovely architecture, boutique shops (although as a single straight male, that's not exactly my thing), and dozens or hundreds of lovely mini-parks. Golden Gate Park is spectacular and I personally like it better than NYC's Central Park.

But there's something missing about San Francisco; it has to do with its people. Sure, if I nearly bump into somebody on the sidewalk, sometimes one or both of us will say, "Excuse me, sir (or ma'am)." The service I receive in restaurants is either sugar-coated uber-hyper friendly, almost to the point of being creepy...or very surly. (Mind you, I'm from the South and love friendly people, but even I can only take so much sugarcoating.) You have perky, friendly-seeming activists trying to save the world or Africa or whatever in a sea of busy, angry-looking but very well dressed people.

But what really sticks out with me are these: Whenever I ride BART or Caltrain, people look very hostile and straight up pissed off. Always. In a restaurant, you'll see dozens of people eating, all typing away on their laptops or Blackberries, and none of them look happy. You'll see an otherwise beautiful Latina or East Asian woman walk around like she has a real stick up her arse; very stuck up. On cross-country flights, the angriest customers I've met and noticed have not been from NYC, LA, Chicago, or even DC, but, yep...San Francisco! Not to mention the customer service at SFO Airport is the worst I've encountered in the United States. Two of my three bosses in my first job out here were from SF and were passive-aggressive but turned out to be just straight up b*tches by the time I left.

I now live down on the peninsula here in the Bay Area and rather like it for the most part. But as a guest numerous times in SF proper before and after moving to California, I just find it difficult for me to like the city. I mean, I want to, but I find it difficult. I guess so much for the peace, love and tolerance, right?

So, which cities apply to you?

Thanks,
EE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM

6,529 posts, read 10,206,289 times
That sounds like San Francisco. Ugh. I tried to like NYC and I do sometimes. But I definitely do not see myself living there. Too much rat race and dog-eat-dog mentality. Life is too short to be angry like that.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That sounds like San Francisco. Ugh. I tried to like NYC and I do sometimes. But I definitely do not see myself living there. Too much rat race and dog-eat-dog mentality. Life is too short to be angry like that.
I don't think I could live in NYC, either. Absolutely amazing place but too much attitude from the locals.

When you get down to it, Americans really aren't that friendly or happy. Kinda sad considering how blessed we are as a country.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM

14,800 posts, read 18,174,742 times
All Florida cities lol
Other than that i love all the cities in this country, even the most hated ones (LA NYC and Philly)

Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM

12,212 posts, read 21,418,700 times
I can't like Colorado Springs as much as I try. Most of the people there are far right extremest who seem to look down on most people.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,001,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

But what really sticks out with me are these: Whenever I ride BART or Caltrain, people look very hostile and straight up pissed off. Always. In a restaurant, you'll see dozens of people eating, all typing away on their laptops or Blackberries, and none of them look happy.
ride the dc metro during morning/afternoon commute times. not a single person will even acknowledge your existence, and if you do happen to catch a glance, they're probably looking at you like they want to steal your soul to replace the one they sold to live in dc.

for me, i'll say co. springs is a good one. i too tried to love it as an alternative to denver. no dice.

tampa... well i have a love/hate thing with this city. it is the very embodiment of the term "wasted potential."

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I don't think I could live in NYC, either. Absolutely amazing place but too much attitude from the locals.

When you get down to it, Americans really aren't that friendly or happy. Kinda sad considering how blessed we are as a country.
I think people down south are much more friendlier and happier people. Not Florida but everywhere else in the south.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,582,742 times
Los Angeles.
Back when I was younger and lived in Oregon, I came down to LA and Orange County to see family friends a lot. I dreamt about going to this place and was in heaven when I got here. Now that I've lived here as a teenager and a young adult, I can't find much to like about it. It feels like it's all hype and no substance. The only things around here to do are mostly tourist oriented and dull, plus you have to drive far and brave through traffic to get anywhere, no matter what it's always "about 20 minutes" or more.

Austin also. I visited Austin for two weeks this past Christmas. I like everything about the town, but I don't get the right vibe there. Maybe it's the heat that comes 7 months out of the year, I don't know, but there's another reason and I can't quite put my finger on it. Even then, I'd still take it over any other part of Texas.

Las Vegas too. Maybe it's because I'm not 21 yet, or that I'm not a huge gambler, I'm not sure. But outside of the tourist areas, it has no substance. It's quite depressing really. Another thing, extreme HEAT, which I have the biggest anathema for. It might be fine to visit, but I'd rather chop my arm off than live there.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I can't like Colorado Springs as much as I try. Most of the people there are far right extremest who seem to look down on most people.
Time for me to pack up and move. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,582,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It's a different story on the west side of town towards Manitou. My very liberal, folk singer aunt lives there and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or