Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM

345 posts, read 829,446 times

Advertisements

So, what are the most European-like U.S. cities in each of the major regions?

Northeast: Boston, hands down.

South: New Orleans, maybe Charleston or Savannah?

Midwest: Milwaukee? St. Paul? Maybe Cincy?

Mountain West: is there any?

West: San Francisco, any other contenders?

This is from what I've seen. What about you other C-D'ers. I think this will be an interesting thread. Please post pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,220,447 times
Boston, New Orleans, SF.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,529,447 times
What makes a city "European"? The presence of Europeans? Maybe some criteria would help.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,039,923 times
Northeast: Boston

South: New Orleans

Midwest: Milwaukee?

Mountain West: Can't think of any. The mountain West is very open, and European cities tend to be more dense.

West: San Francisco, maybe Portland. The west also has many smaller, European themed towns, like Solvang and Kingsburg.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM

345 posts, read 829,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
What makes a city "European"? The presence of Europeans? Maybe some criteria would help.
In terms of architecture and influence. A city with a large number of European descendents. Northeast probably has the most of these qualities, but Boston wins. As you move further west, it is hard to see if there is any European influence.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM

260 posts, read 755,585 times
I have to say that Seattle is a major contender for the West. We have quite a few European expats. We have one of the largest Russian/Eastern European immigrant populations in the US. Also, our Scandinavian heritage still runs strong. Our politics and progressive policies are also very European in nature. Many of my European friends comment on how much the feel of Seattle reminds them of their home. The only aspect Seattle doesn't have that's European is the architecture, but then again, what city in the US has truly European architecture?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,039,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
I have to say that Seattle is a major contender for the West. We have quite a few European expats. We have one of the largest Russian/Eastern European immigrant populations in the US. Also, our Scandinavian heritage still runs strong. Our politics and progressive policies are also very European in nature. Many of my European friends comment on how much the feel of Seattle reminds them of their home. The only aspect Seattle doesn't have that's European is the architecture, but then again, what city in the US has truly European architecture?
While Seattle may have more recent immigration from Europe, it feels too modern and sprawl-y to be compared to anywhere in Europe. I see Portland as more European due to it's architecture and all over feel.
Seattle feels more like little Hong Kong, probably because of the sizeable Asian population.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,058,879 times
St. Paul, MN is not at all a "European" city. In fact, there are no cities or towns really that fit the description in Minnesota.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM

422 posts, read 812,311 times
Boston mos def (see England). New Orleans mos def (see France). SF ppl always ay it but I'm not sure. I see Australia/New Zealand but they have a British influence so that could be it.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

36,933 posts, read 38,909,166 times
For the midwest, Cincinnati fits it in terms of layout and architecture to some degree, but in terms of the people, their outlook and way of life, it's not very European at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City