U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ...
Chicago 108 42.02%
Toronto 149 57.98%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM

248 posts, read 129,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
A) Kanye is from Chicago... He may live mostly in NY, as most celebrities do, but he still owns a place here.
Get over it. He lives in New York. He is a part of the scene there not in Chicago.

Quote:

B) Just because you don't like rap, doesn't dismiss the fact I gave you current artists. If someone argued Drake, I can give the three I did.
For me it is crap nobody will remember in 10 years.

Quote:

C) Smashing Pumpkins and Wilco are ancient history, but Rush is so hot with kids right now?
Are kids the only ones that count? Rush is Still filling stadiums around the world as we speak. Is Wilco or Smashing Pumpkins doing the same?

Quote:

D) If you want to talk current, remember Pitchfork is based out of Chicago... Bred from big indie scene
Pitchfork is a festival not music act. Music festivals are for cities that do not have a vivid scene all year round. Look at cities with music scenes and count festivals there.

Quote:

All in all, I was agreeing Toronto has great music while defending new music has come out of Chicago since the band Chicago. Lighten up
Who? When was that?
We are talkg music scene not history here. Chicago is ancient history and still never as popular and succesful as Rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Nice. Hopefully this dispels the silly notion that Toronto runs rings around Chicago. Forget about individual artists. As you mention, Chicago is the birthplace of whole genres. It may not be an exaggeration to say that club culture as we know it owes its existence to Chicago. Nuff said.
Nuff said? The biggest star out of Chicago chose living 800 miles away. That alone tells you about quality of the music scene in Chicago.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM

11,251 posts, read 9,944,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Nice. Hopefully this dispels the silly notion that Toronto runs rings around Chicago. Forget about individual artists. As you mention, Chicago is the birthplace of whole genres. It may not be an exaggeration to say that club culture as we know it owes its existence to Chicago. Nuff said.
Chicago is historically much more important, but Toronto has made incredible strides while Chicago. The music scene in Toronto now, and for the last decade, has been fantastic. I'm guessing the disparity comes with so many other cities in the US that contend with it while Toronto has risen to become a fairly dominant city in Canada. Keep in mind that while Chicago was already a major world metropolis over a century ago, Toronto was still just a medium-sized city that was playing second fiddle to Montreal.

I'm not arguing that Toronto is light-years ahead or ahead at all of Chicago when it comes to music--only that the two currently are not far apart.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 PM

11,251 posts, read 9,944,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Get over it. He lives in New York. He is a part of the scene there not in Chicago.

For me it is crap nobody will remember in 10 years.

Are kids the only ones that count? Rush is Still filling stadiums around the world as we speak. Is Wilco or Smashing Pumpkins doing the same?

Pitchfork is a festival not music act. Music festivals are for cities that do not have a vivid scene all year round. Look at cities with music scenes and count festivals there.

Who? When was that?
We are talkg music scene not history here. Chicago is ancient history and still never as popular and succesful as Rush.
It's funny that people are arguing about how the contemporary music scene in Toronto has been great and yet you're harking back to Rush.

Also, Pitchfork is a lot more than a music festival--that came afterwards. Pitchfork is music review/criticism and has a lot of clout.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's funny that people are arguing about how the contemporary music scene in Toronto has been great and yet you're harking back to Rush.
Back to Rush? Rush is still recording and touring. Its one of the most prolific bands in history of rock and in the same critically acclaimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Also, Pitchfork is a lot more than a music festival--that came afterwards. Pitchfork is music review/criticism and has a lot of clout.
Maybe so but how does it enrich Chicago music scene?

I have been to Chicago quite a few times and it always came across as reserved, cold, socially conservative and isolated. The exact opposite od wordly or artsy. Absolute opposite of Toronto

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM

3,761 posts, read 3,299,402 times
Quote:
I agree with this comment. Chicago despite all the tall buildings still feels like a Midwestern city, reserved, traditional, slow in change. Big and influential but not worldly at all. There are no international cultural events taking place in Chicago like Toronto's acclaimed International Film Festival.

As far as current art scene Toronto also takes the lead: Rush alone is more famous and critically acclaimed than any musical act that ever came out of Chicago.

This is all not surprising because Toronto gets usually complimented on its cultural life and even compared to New York in this aspect.
Comparing toronto to NYC's music scene isn't logical.

And Toronto & Chicago are NOT far apart as far as music scene goes. Toronto is no LA for music scene.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Comparing toronto to NYC's music scene isn't logical.

And Toronto & Chicago are NOT far apart as far as music scene goes. Toronto is no LA for music scene.
You are absolutely right but Toronto gets compared to New York based on the cosmopolitan feel of the city.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,114,971 times
I suppose tristann missed my post

Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I suppose tristann missed my post
I didn't miss your post I just don't understand while when comparing the music scene of the city you quote eletric blues and house when those developemnts happened many decades ago. Chicago used to be a musical powerhouse when Blackcs moved from the south but that movement and associated rise of Chicago blues is long gone. Nowadays Chicago's music scene is very far from being excited and besides few acts and couple of festivals not much is happening all year round which is relfecleted with departure of most labels and studios from the city. Even Chicago's own stars like Kanye West realize that and move elsewhere to further develop their ideas.

Toronto due to its status as Canada's largest city and cultural hub feels more cosmopolitan and worldy than Chicago.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,114,971 times
Quote:
I didn't miss your post I just don't understand while when comparing the music scene of the city you quote eletric blues and house when those developemnts happened many decades ago. Chicago used to be a musical powerhouse when Blackcs moved from the south but that movement and associated rise of Chicago blues is long gone. Nowadays Chicago's music scene is very far from being excited and besides few acts and couple of festivals not much is happening all year round which is relfecleted with departure of most labels and studios from the city. Even Chicago's own stars like Kanye West realize that and move elsewhere to further develop their ideas.

Toronto due to its status as Canada's largest city and cultural hub feels more cosmopolitan and worldy than Chicago.
lol...again..i guess you missed my post. And stop with the whole Kanye West crap... do you think all people who are born and bred out of a city and become famous stay there and only there? Kanye mentions Chicago in, oh, maybe 30% of his songs...Kanye owns a house in Chicago, as well as LA, NYC, and Paris. The man is a multimillionaire..why would he NOT have locations all over the country to call home. Stop using that as a lame excuse.

oh..and stop using Rush if you want to use the "but..but...blues and house are decades old!!" Get a grip man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City