Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In terms of national recognition, Illinois has the University of Illinois, Northwestern and DePaul. (Yes, I know about the University of Chicago, but it's still relatively unknown among the top colleges.) As for North Carolina, it has the University of North Carolina, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest.
You're kidding...right? University of Chicago is consistently ranked one of the top universities in the world, and is very consistently ranked one of the top 10 universities in the U.S. ...Maybe you are thinking of University of Illinois at Chicago? You're also forgetting places like Loyola in Chicago and Illinois Institute of Technology. Northwestern and U Chicago are both consistently ranked in the top 20 schools in the country, whereas there's only one in North Carolina (Duke) consistently in the top 20.

Quote:
You notice how so many people complained when the 2010 Census figures were made official? It's because they were expecting the populations of their cities/states to be higher based on the annual U.S. Census estimates in the years prior to 2010. In other words, the U.S. Census overestimated the populations of a great many cities and states. Pennsylvania was not one of them; in fact, Pennsylvania was grossly underestimated. According to the annual estimates, Illinois was pulling away from Pennsylvania until the official numbers came out and showed that Illinois grew slower than estimated and Pennsylvania grew faster than estimated.
Whether or not the census got the estimates correct doesn't change the fact that when the data were counted, the percent of growth in PA from 1990 to 2000 was the same as it was from 2000 to 2010 (3.4%), so I still don't see the statistical evidence for the assertion that PA is seeing an acceleration of growth in the past 5-10 years like you said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Whether or not the census got the estimates correct doesn't change the fact that when the data were counted, the percent of growth in PA from 1990 to 2000 was the same as it was from 2000 to 2010 (3.4%), so I still don't see the statistical evidence for the assertion that PA is seeing an acceleration of growth in the past 5-10 years like you said
Pennsylvania added more people during the 2000's than it did during the 1990's. The percentage can stay the same even as the actual number gets larger.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Pennsylvania added more people during the 2000's than it did during the 1990's. The percentage can stay the same even as the actual number gets larger.
If you're going to define accelerated growth as simply the increase in raw people per decade, then fine. I think percent change is a bit more indicative.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
There can be an accelerating rate of absolute number growth while the percentage rate of growth remains the same or decreases.
For example: say there's a growth rate of 25% on top of 8 million adds 2 million for a total of 10 million. That could be followed with a slower rate of 22% growth that would that would add 2.2 million on top of that for 12.2 million. The growth rate decreases yet the absolute number increases. If the rate of growth remained 25% , that 10 million would become 12.5 million.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There can be an accelerating rate of absolute number growth while the percentage rate of growth remains the same or decreases.
For example: say there's a growth rate of 25% on top of 8 million adds 2 million for a total of 10 million. That could be followed with a slower rate of 22% growth that would that would add 2.2 million on top of that for 12.2 million. The growth rate decreases yet the absolute number increases. If the rate of growth remained 25% , that 10 million would become 12.5 million.
Sure, okay. But let's look at the raw numbers (just taken from the historical population listed on Wikipedia's page):

PA had 11.88 million people in 1990
PA had 12.28 million people in 2000 (a difference of 0.40 million or 400,000 people from 1990)
PA had 12.70 million people in 2010 (a difference of 0.42 million or 420,000 people from 2000)

Is that a statistically significant enough of a difference (20,000 or <0.2% of the entire state's population) to make the absolute assertion that there is truly growth acceleration happening?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM

434 posts, read 552,148 times
Why are the metro areas of San Francisco and San Jose considered separate metro areas? Is it because they are like fifty miles apart? Aren't the pretty much connected by suburbs?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Why are the metro areas of San Francisco and San Jose considered separate metro areas? Is it because they are like fifty miles apart? Aren't the pretty much connected by suburbs?
I don't know why they've done that but its definitely one area just like LA/San Bernardino are considered 2 separate msa's, I think SF and LA get screwed in this aspect.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
I was comparing the Primary Census Statistical Areas. This designation compares the highest level at which each metro is classified. Some MSA's aren't part of a CSA while other are. For instance, Miami only has a MSA though it's over 5 million. On the other hand, areas like the Triad and Triangle are split into two. Using the PCSA, one can better compare apples to apples. I also used the MSA chart since you cited Durham separately.

What the previous decade will tell you is trending. While it's possible that some areas will reverse course abruptly due to extenuating circumstances, it's not the norm. New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina is an example of such circumstances.

Looking at the report on which this report was based, we know the following about the MSAs in question since Census 2010: (MSAs listed in order of 2012 population from largest to smallest)

Greensboro grew by 15,383 or 2.12% to 739,184
Augusta grew by 13,633 or 2.44% to 570,510
Durham grew by 15,301 or 3.03% to 519,658
Winston Salem grew by 8,605 or 1.80% to 486,322
Wilmington grew by 16,081 or 4.44% to 378,396
Savannah grew by 10,914 or 3.13% to 358,525

So....in order of absolute numbers, the growth so far is this order:
  1. Wilmington
  2. Greensboro
  3. Durham
  4. Augusta
  5. Savannah
  6. Winston-Salem

In order of growth rate, the rankings so far this decade:
  1. Wilmington
  2. Savannah
  3. Durham
  4. Augusta
  5. Greensboro
  6. Winston-Salem

What we can conclude is that it's Wilmington, NC that is the fastest growing of the bunch in both absolute numbers and percentages. This is exactly where Wilmington ranked among this group of MSAs in the last decade as well. And, to your assumption about what could happen, this does not set the stage for both Savannah and Augusta to grow at a faster rate than all the NC metros other than Charlotte and Raleigh.

BTW, you never answered my question about how much of the Augusta MSA is in SC. It's relevant because the SC growth doesn't add anything to the growth of Georgia. The same is true for the SC growth in the Charlotte Metro....it doesn't contribute to the growth numbers in NC.
You pretty much hit on what I was talking about. Not to mention if you look at the smaller metro right across the street of Jacksonville it also had impressive numbers. That is the one advantage NC has over GA, it has more metropolitan areas that are growing and growing well.

PS you bring up a good point about Augusta and the SC suburbs. That same reason is why Charlotte is at most slightly ahead of Raleigh when it comes to impact on NC.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You pretty much hit on what I was talking about. Not to mention if you look at the smaller metro right across the street of Jacksonville it also had impressive numbers. That is the one advantage NC has over GA, it has more metropolitan areas that are growing and growing well.

PS you bring up a good point about Augusta and the SC suburbs. That same reason is why Charlotte is at most slightly ahead of Raleigh when it comes to impact on NC.
I think Jacksonville and Fayetteville are wildcards in NC given that thousands of soldiers are coming home from Iraq and starting families. Time will tell.
I was thinking about adding some other cities in both states to my previous post but decided to stick to the cities that had been mentioned.
That said, and looking at the growth rates of some of the other metros in both states, the ones that aren't having much of an impact are: Columbus, GA; Hickory, NC; Rocky Mount, NC; Dalton, GA; Athens, GA; Thomasville, NC and Albany, GA. The metros that seem to have more growth potential/impact are: Greenville, NC; Jacksonville, NC; Statesville, NC and Fayetteville, NC. I make these assumptions based on their growth since the Census.

Regarding your comment about Raleigh and Charlotte, both MSAs (in this case, Raleigh is reported without Durham) are growing rapidly. Charlotte has added a bit over 78,300 to its metro while Raleigh added over 66,600. The unknown is how many of Charlotte's additions came from its SC suburbs. So, you are correct that their impact in absolute growth numbers is probably pretty even/negligible.

On a side/related note, I was playing with my new MacBook Air tonight and Excel to learn it on a Mac (have always had PCs in the past). In any case, I was playing with the numbers and percentages from the Jan. 15th report that this whole thread is based on. Given that Raleigh's MSA growth is so rapid, I wondered when it would pass other MSA's ranked above it. After all, it already passed 2 MSAs since the 2010 Census. So far, I have extrapolated the growth rates out to January 2021 and (if all growth rates remain constant) Raleigh's MSA will have passed Harford (2013), Louisville & Richmond (2016), Oklahoma City & Memphis (2017) and Jacksonville FL (2021). Of course, if the Census Bureau re-unites Raleigh and Durham into one MSA again, It's going to leap frog all of those metros immediately and several others.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 02-02-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
I think Jacksonville and Fayetteville are wildcards in NC given that thousands of soldiers are coming home from Iraq and starting families. Time will tell.
I was thinking about adding some other cities in both states to my previous post but decided to stick to the cities that had been mentioned.
That said, and looking at the growth rates of some of the other metros in both states, the ones that aren't having much of an impact are: Columbus, GA; Hickory, NC; Rocky Mount, NC; Dalton, GA; Athens, GA; Thomasville, NC and Albany, GA. The metros that seem to have more growth potential/impact are: Greenville, NC; Jacksonville, NC; Statesville, NC and Fayetteville, NC. I make these assumptions based on their growth since the Census.

Regarding your comment aboufet Raleigh and Charlotte, both MSAs (in this case, Raleigh is reported without Durham) are growing rapidly. Charlotte has added a bit over 78,300 to its metro while Raleigh added over 66,600. The unknown is how many of Charlotte's additions came from its SC suburbs. So, you are correct that their impact in absolute growth numbers is probably pretty even/negligible.

On a side/related note, I was playing with my new MacBook Air tonight and Excel to learn it on a Mac (have always had PCs in the past). In any case, I was playing with the numbers and percentages from the Jan. 15th report that this whole thread is based on. Given that Raleigh's MSA growth is so rapid, I wondered when it would pass other MSA's ranked above it. After all, it already passed 2 MSAs since the 2010 Census. So far, I have extrapolated the growth rates out to January 2021 and (if all growth rates remain constant) Raleigh's MSA will have passed Harford (2013), Louisville & Richmond (2016), Oklahoma City & Memphis (2017) and Jacksonville FL (2021). Of course, if the Census Bureau re-unites Raleigh and Durham into one MSA again, It's going to leap frog all of those metros immediately and several others.
Whenever talking about the impact on NC I always include Raleigh and Durham and look at the Charlotte CSA. Hickory pretty much has a hit a stand still and doesn't appear to be growing soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City