Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
DC must have REALLY changed in the last 10 years to be ranked 2nd. I haven't been there since 2001 so maybe it has... But it is pretty surprising in the 2 slot.
DC is getting better, truly and I am hard on DC at times.

To me it is still out of the top 5. I probably put the DT at 6 with LA or Seattle next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM

157 posts, read 165,591 times
Salt Lake City has the number 1 downtown in the U.S., having restored its glory by the Mormon Church, the only one fully restored in the U.S. and fully recovered!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^huh?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
^I know of the development he/she is talking about but I dont see why he/she said Salt Lake City has the number one downtown in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Creek_Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchek91 View Post
It makes me proud to see Milwaukee as #10, as someone who lives here. It is extremely underrated. SO much potential! It reminds me of a mini-version of Philedelphia's downtown.
I was surprised that it was a top 10 Downtown, I've never been so next time in Chicago I'll def. take a trip up that way Btw I think the Milwaukee Art Museum architecture is astonishing; now only if you guys can take the Packers from Greenbay jk

Another city I was surprised by was Detroit, I had no clue they had a vibrant downtown only because the city has such a bad reputation. I guess the same could be said about Baltimore although we didn't make the top 10 list. So Congrats Detroit !

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
Milwaukee is definitely surprising. I went there just shortly for a concert at the Bradley Center and drove around afterwards. Really interesting and vibrant, even at 10 PM on a weeknight in November. I definitely want to go back there.

Detroit, on the other hand, does not belong up there. I used to live in the area and my brother lives downtown Detroit. If it was a list of the places with the top ten number of abandoned skyscrapers or aggressive panhandlers, it would be right up there. There are many other cities that I have been to that are more vibrant and fun to visit, yet not on the list (Denver, Salt Lake City, Columbus, Atlanta). I think someone just felt sorry for Detroit. I can't think of another reason it would be on there.
fyi, most of the buildings in our downtown are NOT vacant. Sorry. this is not 2003. And the last of the vacant buildings actually have plans to be rennovated in the near future

Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
This list is generally true with the exception of Detroit and Milwaukee. I would replace either with Indianapolis or Atlanta. Evidently people conducting this list have never been to downtown Detroit. It has changed for the better in many aspects, but the rest of the city is still awful. A city's downtown core does not necessarily exemplify the city as a whole. Downtown Seattle, San Fran or Phily are my favorite downtowns.
first off, the thread is about Downtowns only secondly how many times have you been here to know what the rest of the city looks like?

now go ahead and say something about some youtube video

Last edited by detroitlove; 03-29-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
^I know of the development he/she is talking about but I dont see why he/she said Salt Lake City has the number one downtown in America.

City Creek Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forget wiki. Here's a great article about the new City Creek Center. Check out the video of one of the centers fountains, which erupts in fire and water simultaneously, synchonized to music, and then look at the 8-picture slide show.

Salt Lake City's downtown may not be huge, but it is hugely beautiful. The LDS Church, by the way, does not own the mall. It owns the land on which the mall was built. Taubman owns the buildings, which are leased to stores such as Nordstrom, Macy's, H&M, Tiffany, Swarovski, Tumi, Michael Kors, ALDO, PORSCHE DESIGN, Ann Taylor, Steve Madden, Brooks Brothers, Bebe, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Banana Republic, Chico's, J Jill, J Crew, True Religion Brand Jeans (I'm pretty sure this isn't an LDS store; I wonder how this one slipped past LDS Church leadership ), Anthropologie, Sephora, Bose, Restoration Hardware and the Disney Store.

The center is built on 20 acres of downtown land. It has a creek running through it, beautiful landscaping, sculpture, a firepit and a fully retractable roof that can be closed in inclement weather.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-29-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 PM

78 posts, read 157,293 times
NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
SF
Boston
DC
Miami
Seattle
L.A

Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

City Creek Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was surprised that it was a top 10 Downtown, I've never been so next time in Chicago I'll def. take a trip up that way Btw I think the Milwaukee Art Museum architecture is astonishing; now only if you guys can take the Packers from Greenbay jk

Another city I was surprised by was Detroit, I had no clue they had a vibrant downtown only because the city has such a bad reputation. I guess the same could be said about Baltimore although we didn't make the top 10 list. So Congrats Detroit !
The media has a strong impact on people, it has it's problems and even I can be hard on Detroit sometimes (politically wise) but Detroit is MUCH better than most people think it is. It might not be as tourist friendly (although getting much better at it) as some other places but lately downtown has been getting alot of good attention and most of the vacant properties downtown is either now occupied or being renovated.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM

157 posts, read 165,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
SF
Boston
DC
Miami
Seattle
L.A
Those cities should take lessons from Salt Lake City on how to fully bring downtown to its original luster by the Mormon Church, which strong arm the retail trade people to locate all the mall/street shopping downtown core. As for as Philly, DC, Miami and even Seattle are concerned, they still have a major portion of shopping done in suburban malls. SF kind of having a real downtown with great shopping district, but half of the downtown area is still rundown! Chicago still has a moribund shopping downtown in the loop, but most of the good high end shoppings are in Gold Coast/Mag. Mile and suburban malls. Therefore, they never recovered from their downtowns decline. Take cues from Salt Lake City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City