U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: NYC/PHiLLY
762 posts, read 552,290 times
Reputation: 348

Advertisements

I may be playing with fire here..but I often see Philly/SF switched out as #3 on this forum..I know Philly..but I haven't had the opportunity to make it to SF yet, but from what I get on this forum is that they somewhat edge each other out and that there isn't a clear winner between the two. Can someone who has been to both give perspective?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: The City
19,343 posts, read 16,672,369 times
Reputation: 5780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
I may be playing with fire here..but I often see Philly/SF switched out as #3 on this forum..I know Philly..but I haven't had the opportunity to make it to SF yet, but from what I get on this forum is that they somewhat edge each other out and that there isn't a clear winner between the two. Can someone who has been to both give perspective?

Honestly I think SF would get the edge but Philly has been closing the gap, just a little more activity overall in DT SF

Oddly to me Boston has actually become a tad sleepier in the last ten years, almost too clean. SF and Philly both to me feel a little edgier with a little more activity in SF

Not sure how much construction is going on in DT SF but there are 2,000 new high rise units alone going up in CC today and is expected to add another 8-10K in this decade and another 20K in the DT population; maintaining its double digit growth in the DT from last decade

Also 3 new DT hotels under construction and 5-6 apt/condos that could start this year and one additional hotel, good times in Philly these days and expect it will continue to get better

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-24-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: NYC/PHiLLY
762 posts, read 552,290 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly I think SF would get the edge but Philly has been closing the gap, just a little more activity overall in DT SF

Oddly to me Boston has actually become a tad sleepier in the last ten years, almost too clean. SF and Philly both to me feel a little edgier with a little more activity in SF

Not sure how much construction is going on in DT SF but there are 2,000 new high rise units alone going up in CC today and is expected to add another 8-10K in this decade and another 20K in the DT population; maintaining its double digit growth in the DT from last decade

Also 3 new DT hotels under construction and 5-6 apt/condos that could start this year and one additional hotel, good times in Philly these days and expect it will continue to get better
Ahhh I see..so SF would get the edge based on overall activity.. so theres a bigger population in DT SF? what about shopping options/Restaurants etc? I need to check SF out

And Yeah Philly continues to grow bigger and better
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
 
163 posts, read 185,404 times
Reputation: 152
My top 10 (large cities) that I've been to

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Seattle
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Washington DC
San Diego
??????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: In the Heart of Dixie
9 posts, read 7,837 times
Reputation: 13
1. NY
2. Chicago
3-4-5. Boston/Philly/SF
6. DC
7. LA
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Minneapolis?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: NYC
457 posts, read 594,066 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj80 View Post
1. NY
2. Chicago
3-4-5. Boston/Philly/SF
6. DC
7. LA
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Minneapolis?
Yeah, I basically agree with this list.

1. NYC (if bigger is better than it takes the cake)

2. Chicago- America's other iconic downtown. (could maybe see an argument for SF based on the fact that SF flows more naturally into the surrounding neighborhoods).

3-4-5. Bos/Philly/SF (generally believe SF is tops of the pack, most "world class" shopping/dining/hotels, but they are close enough to make it all debatable.)

6. DC is hard to place. Itís a clean downtown, lots of office space, world class museums, improving restaurant scene, but it really lacks the organic mixed use nature of SF/Bos/Philly.

7. Seattle- smaller, but well rounded downtown. Could see placing this above DC based on better shopping, seems more mixed use.

8,9,10- After the top 7, in my mind, it is a little less clear. I basically see 3 types of cities: clean, up and coming, yuppie cities (Portland, Denver, San Diego, and Minneapolis), old school, gritty cities with character (Baltimore, Pittsburgh) and then LA which is its own thing.

I would probably go with Portland at 8, but not sure. But, LA has the most potential given its size.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
 
574 posts, read 436,519 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Maybe you're right. I'm originally from Minnesota, and speak from some experience too. There's a difference between the two, and maybe that difference fit the criteria better. Minneapolis isn't as lively outside of work hours. Maybe it's because of skywalks, but it's downright pedestrian-free a lot of the time on week-ends, even when it's not cold out. It doesn't have anything to compare to Lake Michigan downtown, either.

On that Lake, sits one of the most unique structures in the entire country, the Milwaukee Art Museum. Next to the museum is a sandy beach, with volleyball nets set up all summer long. Just down the river that disects, is the Third Ward - one of the more unique urban neighborhoods you'll find anywhere.

I think downtown Milwaukee is, perhaps, more unique. The Twin Cities metro is a lot bigger than Milwaukee's, but the city proper population of Milwaukee is a lot bigger than Minneapolis'. That said, who knows why it was chosen (other than the reasons given).
thats right. you used to live in minneapolis and dont now so you dont no that first ave has 10 times as many people and ten time as much to do as milwaukee. i have been to water street in downtown milwaukee on a friday and satuday night and it is dead in comparison. i dont no where you get pedestrian free but maybe you should go there on a friday and see how long it takes to drive just a few blocks on first ave. Overhaul of downtown Minneapolis theaters helps drive economic renaissance - Finance & Commerce
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
6,928 posts, read 4,088,857 times
Reputation: 3825
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Washington DC
7. Los Angeles
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Miami

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-24-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
 
7,820 posts, read 5,236,371 times
Reputation: 1379
Downtown D.C. is about a year and a half from completely blowing it's former self out the water. Hundreds of thousands of square feet of shopping are under construction in downtown D.C. right now. Thousands of residential units are under construction right now in downtown D.C. This conversation will get very interesting in 2013-2014. The former downtown D.C. will not be recognizable over the next 2-3 years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,068 posts, read 5,879,464 times
Reputation: 2921
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Downtown D.C. is about a year and a half from completely blowing it's former self out the water. Hundreds of thousands of square feet of shopping are under construction in downtown D.C. right now. Thousands of residential units are under construction right now in downtown D.C. This conversation will get very interesting in 2013-2014. The former downtown D.C. will not be recognizable over the next 2-3 years.
Where are they putting all this stuff at? Are they demolishing existing structures to make room? I ask because it seems like DT DC is pretty much packed to the brim with development (Unlike many downtown areas with surface parking to build on) and DC can't build up. So I'm just curious what these projects are and where they are going.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top