U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
 
654 posts, read 1,296,498 times
Reputation: 276

Advertisements

Which U.S. cities have already reached its ceiling and don't have much room for growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,154 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Reputation: 8810
New York City and San Francisco I'd say, they don't have room physically last time I checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601
NYC, DC, Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,254 posts, read 4,742,107 times
Reputation: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New York City and San Francisco I'd say, they don't have room physically last time I checked.
But those and many other cities have room to grow upward, and by infilling and redeveloping underutilized land.

NYC itself is projected to gain over a million more people by 2025.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...ng_booklet.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,154 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Reputation: 8810
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But those and many other cities have room to grow upward, and by infilling and redeveloping underutilized land.

NYC itself is projected to gain over a million more people by 2025.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...ng_booklet.pdf
In that case, every city has room to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But those and many other cities have room to grow upward, and by infilling and redeveloping underutilized land.

NYC itself is projected to gain over a million more people by 2025.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...ng_booklet.pdf

NYC doesn't know when to stop, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 AM
 
Location: MIA/DC
1,190 posts, read 1,895,865 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC, DC, Boston
Only maybe Boston counts, look at DC today and then tell me why you think its reached its full potential already? Today there are cranes in central DC, tomorrow those cranes will leave buildings where people will live/work/enjoy. Not saying DC will continue to expand forever but today it is, tomorrow it shall, after that its anybodies guess.

NY has been expanding for quite some time now. Today what may be a low density Staten Island might tomorrow be the next Queens. Today what may be a crime ridden area of the Bronx might turn into a Brooklyn Heights. Look at Manhattan and look at all the construction going on, the new PATH lines, the new towers, new arenas in Brooklyn, all the upgrades. NY has not reached its full potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,443 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Reputation: 11926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Only maybe Boston counts, look at DC today and then tell me why you think its reached its full potential already? Today there are cranes in central DC, tomorrow those cranes will leave buildings where people will live/work/enjoy. Not saying DC will continue to expand forever but today it is, tomorrow it shall, after that its anybodies guess.

NY has been expanding for quite some time now. Today what may be a low density Staten Island might tomorrow be the next Queens. Today what may be a crime ridden area of the Bronx might turn into a Brooklyn Heights. Look at Manhattan and look at all the construction going on, the new PATH lines, the new towers, new arenas in Brooklyn, all the upgrades. NY has not reached its full potential.
There are still a lot of dumpy parts of Boston. Plenty of neighborhoods with dilapidated three deckers (tourists usually don’t see this and stick to the freedom trail and Back Bay). Also Boston is also sorley lacking contemporary architecture, even modern architecture in Boston is very uniform with very few exceptions and doesn't really have the modern edge cities that NYC and DC have in its metro area (think Stamford, White Plains, Jersey City, Bethesda, Tysons Corner).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
1,389 posts, read 1,950,680 times
Reputation: 993
DC isn't even close to reaching its maximum potential.

have you even been through the 3 sections of the city NOT named northwest? many parts of them are still DMZ-worthy. lots of low-density space in the hood(s) for redevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,656 posts, read 4,608,242 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are still a lot of dumpy parts of Boston. Plenty of neighborhoods with dilapidated three deckers (tourists usually donít see this and stick to the freedom trail and Back Bay). Also Boston is also sorley lacking contemporary architecture, even modern architecture in Boston is very uniform with very few exceptions and doesn't really have the modern edge cities that NYC and DC have in its metro area (think Stamford, White Plains, Jersey City, Bethesda, Tysons Corner).
Every major city will have "dumpy" parts. It's natural. But ill say NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top