U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Better area: Seattle or Portland?
Seattle 45 69.23%
Portland 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,172,192 times

Advertisements

True Portland neighborhoods flow better Seattle has to deal with canals , lakes, and PugetSound there is lots of water in Seattle . Thats why are neighborhoods dont flow together. Thats why Seattle has ferrys and water taxi. But it is beautifull and easy to navigate. And soon the First hill street carline will open connecting First Hill , Capitol Hill , And Downtown. Also Queen Anne neighborhood everyone talks about is next to Queen Anne Hill , not on the hill . Its the dense urban neighborhood built around Seattle Center. I would agree Seattles Park like Settings and abundance of water make navigation in Seattle a little harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Fremont is more overbuilt compared to the 90s.
Fremont began to go downhill when they placed that Hitler statue in the middle of the neighborhood.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM

288 posts, read 268,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Fremont began to go downhill when they placed that Hitler statue in the middle of the neighborhood.
You mean Lenin.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,619,412 times
Quote:
Eh, I think it went down a lot more when the quirky people who put a statue of Comrade Grandpappy in the town square and adorned their stores with rockets and hosted freeform slam poetry nights in their coffee shops were replaced with yuppies in earth-toned sweaters who drove Subarus...

But, I digress: Fremont is still alright IMHO.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,209,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Fremont is more overbuilt compared to the 90s. But to say Ballard is more happening than Fremont right now... meh. It's all contrived now: both are being overbuilt and losing a lot of character.
Considering I grew up in both I have to say I like them both now far more than in the 70's.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Eh, I think it went down a lot more when the quirky people who put a statue of Comrade Grandpappy in the town square and adorned their stores with rockets and hosted freeform slam poetry nights in their coffee shops were replaced with yuppies in earth-toned sweaters who drove Subarus...

But, I digress: Fremont is still alright IMHO.
Does anyone have any empirical examples of cities that have prevented this phenomenon? Have any cities managed to kept their funky, artistic neighborhoods full of artists instead of yuppie gentrifiers? If so, how?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
Either way it is a statue of one of history's most evil, murderous monsters.

(for the record, I am well aware it is a statue of mass murder Vladimir Lenin & I am a strong proponent of them replacing it with something less gruesome/offensive)

Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,587,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Considering I grew up in both I have to say I like them both now far more than in the 70's.
I don't know... It just bothers me to that Norwegian identity/touch dying out (Ballard). Ballard is starting to get that bland urban chic feel.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Either way it is a statue of one of history's most evil, murderous monsters.

(for the record, I am well aware it is a statue of mass murder Vladimir Lenin & I am a strong proponent of them replacing it with something less gruesome/offensive)
If an avowed communist in Seattle had originally sculpted it to pay tribute to Lenin I could understand that reaction. As it is, it's an interesting historical artifact that was recovered from the Soviet bloc and ended up there in a wacky set of circumstances.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM

1,108 posts, read 932,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I agree with you, beenhere. Unlike orzo, I would not consider a walk to and from Queen Anne to Capitol Hill via South Lake Union an easy stroll. Hence, this is why Seattle feels a touch sprawly to me. This is not helped by its lack of rail connecting these neighborhoods. Personally, I find the compactness of Portland makes it a much more walkable city. These two paragraph sums up my comparative impressions of the two cities very well (+1):

I prefer the more consistent urban fabric I feel Portland offers.
Your point is well taken, and while I don't totally agree, I see where you're coming from.

But I do think you also have to account for the neighborhoods outside of the downtown/inner neighborhoods areas, and Seattle really separates itself from Portland there. There are far more built up, vibrant neighborhood hubs in Seattle than Portland, away from the downtown and immediate surroundings. Yes, both cities have their share of single-family home neighborhoods, but Seattle has a lot more nodes with clusters of activity than Portland. The U District, Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, Greenwood/Phinney, Roosevelt/Greenlake, Columbia City, and several others - these are all great neighborhood hubs, and there are a lot more multi-family/mixed-use developments in Seattle's outer neighborhood hubs than Portland's - by a longshot. Hawthorne, Alberta, etc - these are great, walkable areas, but they are lacking in much density and can't match the street vibrancy in Seattle's outer areas.

Also, Seattle is getting a subway that will connect downtown, Capitol Hill, U District, Roosevelt, and Northgate in a few years, and there are studies happening right now for subway or grade-separated rail on the west side of the city (Belltown, Queen Anne, Ballard, Crown Hill). Seattle's current light rail/subway line already connects Westlake to Pioneer Square and the International District (much better than Portland's Chinatown), but it will really be leveraged when the Northgate lines opens.

It's also interesting that you mention the walk from Queen Anne to to Capitol Hill via South Lake Union, because the city is currently investing hundreds of millions of dollars to rebuild Mercer and Roy/Valley street (connector streets between those neighborhoods) with dramatically improved pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City