U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Better area: Seattle or Portland?
Seattle 45 69.23%
Portland 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM

4,383 posts, read 3,977,901 times
Default Seattle VS. Portland....

I'm sure that this has been done before.....but maybe there are some newcomers to CDF since the last time?

Seattle > Portland....more water.
Portland > Seattle....closer to the actual ocean (Puget Sound, while Ocean like isn't an Ocean).
Seattle > Portland....can never run out of things to do (Portland isn't boring by any stretch though).
Portland > Seattle....cheaper cost of living (especially if you can work and live in the WA side of the Portland area).
Seattle > Portland....easy drive to 2 large metro areas.
Portland > Seattle.....less snow (even though both places average less than 10 inches per year).
Seattle > Portland....ecomony better and in some cases, a lot better. (# of Fortune 500 companies headquarted around Seattle is at least 7, vs 1 for Portland).
Portland > Seattle....not as far to get out to farms and rural areas if you like that sort of thing.

Just a few examples off the top of my head. I would prefer to hear, so there's no real bias...from those that have not lived in either city or have lived in both (I've lived in both).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM

245 posts, read 195,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I'm sure that this has been done before.....but maybe there are some newcomers to CDF since the last time?

Seattle > Portland....more water.
Portland > Seattle....closer to the actual ocean (Puget Sound, while Ocean like isn't an Ocean).
Seattle > Portland....can never run out of things to do (Portland isn't boring by any stretch though).
Portland > Seattle....cheaper cost of living (especially if you can work and live in the WA side of the Portland area).
Seattle > Portland....easy drive to 2 large metro areas.
Portland > Seattle.....less snow (even though both places average less than 10 inches per year).
Seattle > Portland....ecomony better and in some cases, a lot better. (# of Fortune 500 companies headquarted around Seattle is at least 7, vs 1 for Portland).
Portland > Seattle....not as far to get out to farms and rural areas if you like that sort of thing.

Just a few examples off the top of my head. I would prefer to hear, so there's no real bias...from those that have not lived in either city or have lived in both (I've lived in both).
Its pretty clear what the distance from Portland to the ocean is but what's your definition for Seattle? Puget sound is part of the Pacific so technically the nearest beach on the coast is in town. If you mean the open sea, at which point do you stop i.e. you could drive along the sound northwards, or take a ferry across it to the Olympic Penn. and stop at say Pt. Townsend etc., drive straight across towards Aberdeen. Several of these routes are roughly the distance it takes to get to the Oregon coast from Portland.

Ben

Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Its pretty clear what the distance from Portland to the ocean is but what's your definition for Seattle? Puget sound is part of the Pacific so technically the nearest beach on the coast is in town. If you mean the open sea, at which point do you stop i.e. you could drive along the sound northwards, or take a ferry across it to the Olympic Penn. and stop at say Pt. Townsend etc., drive straight across towards Aberdeen. Several of these routes are roughly the distance it takes to get to the Oregon coast from Portland.

Ben
Open Sea...which is what most people I've talked to in the past about this, define it as. At times, Puget Sound looks like an Ocean, with the waves 2 feet or more, but you can still see the other side of course.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,847,558 times
I have lived in the Seattle area now for 2 years, and have lived near Portland for brief times, and I have to say I agree with most of your comparisons. I might add that the Seattle area seems a little more clean/polished, if that makes sense. Not a dig against Portland by any means, just that there is more money in Seattle, I think, making a lot of the area seem nicer and more upscale.

And regarding the ocean, that is a tough call- the Puget Sound is the Pacific Ocean, but just a little arm of it that comes inland like a big bay, so yeah it is ocean right there out our back door, but not truly open ocean as most would think of when talking about being near the coast. So it depends on what people want- to me Seattle has more of the scenic factor because of being by the Sound, but then again getting out to truly open coast is a long haul from here, whereas in Portland it's only like a 90 minute drive.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I have lived in the Seattle area now for 2 years, and have lived near Portland for brief times, and I have to say I agree with most of your comparisons. I might add that the Seattle area seems a little more clean/polished, if that makes sense. Not a dig against Portland by any means, just that there is more money in Seattle, I think, making a lot of the area seem nicer and more upscale.

And regarding the ocean, that is a tough call- the Puget Sound is the Pacific Ocean, but just a little arm of it that comes inland like a big bay, so yeah it is ocean right there out our back door, but not truly open ocean as most would think of when talking about being near the coast. So it depends on what people want- to me Seattle has more of the scenic factor because of being by the Sound, but then again getting out to truly open coast is a long haul from here, whereas in Portland it's only like a 90 minute drive.
From downtown Portland, about 90 minutes, depending on traffic, but from just outside Hillsboro, I've made it in just over 1 hour....

Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,015,174 times
Seattle has a lot of yuppies, too much sprawl, and it way too car oriented for my taste.
I prefer Portland. Yes I am biased because it's my hometown (at least I admit it), but the public transport is better and so it the coffee.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,919,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Seattle has a lot of yuppies, too much sprawl, and it way too car oriented for my taste.
Too much sprawl? Hilarious. that explains why Seattle's downtown is one of the best in the country. Seriously, look the word up. You want sprawl, go check out Dallas.

Quote:
I prefer Portland. Yes I am biased because it's my hometown (at least I admit it), but the public transport is better and so it the coffee.
Seriously, if the reason you like Portland is because you think it has better coffee than Seattle you are seriously troubled. While there is spectacular coffee in Portland, there is more of it in Seattle.

Now on the subject of public transportation...Portland clearly does a better job there.

The economy sucks though.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Seattle's freeways, even though they have (usually) worse traffic....are way better than Portland's....they are very few stretches of Portland freeways, where you have 4 lanes or more, where in Seattle...almost 1/3 of them have more than 3 lanes....
and the Interstate Bridge (I5 between Portland and Vancouver) is a complete joke.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 768,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
There are many central neighborhoods in Seattle that are not car-oriented, as well as some walkable nodes in the outer areas. Yes, there are some neighborhoods that are car-oriented, but overall I wouldn't say Seattle is more car-oriented than Portland. Neither city is San Francisco, but they both have walkable centers and pockets throughout the city.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,015,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Too much sprawl? Hilarious. that explains why Seattle's downtown is one of the best in the country. Seriously, look the word up. You want sprawl, go check out Dallas.

Seriously, if the reason you like Portland is because you think it has better coffee than Seattle you are seriously troubled. While there is spectacular coffee in Portland, there is more of it in Seattle.

Now on the subject of public transportation...Portland clearly does a better job there.

The economy sucks though.
Well it's sprawl-y compared to Portland. And most of Seattle's coffee is corporate crap like Starbucks, where as Portland has more independent coffee places that haven't been bought out by the big corporations.
Yes, Portland's economy sucks, I'm well aware of this, but it's still a great place regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City