U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better for a graduate student?
Seattle 29 39.73%
Minneapolis 24 32.88%
Pittsburgh 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM

604 posts, read 611,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In terms of interracial dating acceptance, I can only comment on Seattle. In Seattle, people won't care. At all. Interracial dating here is more prevalent than in many many other places I've been to in the US.

The way I like to think of it is acceptance rather than tolerance. In Chicago, for example, interracial dating is almost taboo, unless it's white male/asian female (even then it's begrudgingly accepted, especially by white females). In Seattle, it's almost unthinkable that anyone would have a strong opinion against it, or for it really. It's a very "whatever floats your boat" kinda town. It even extends to gay and lesbian couples. A gay couple I know came to Seattle and absolutely loved it here because nobody asked "are you a couple?"

In terms of job market, Seattle is very tough competition. About half the city has at least a bachelor's degree, if not more. Amazon and Boeing are hiring like crazy right now, but kiss your private life goodbye if you work for Amazon. Boeing is hiring, and has great benefits, but their places where they work are Everett (far north suburb) or Renton/Kent/Boeing Field (far south end). Pretty much a nightmare commute if they ever have to go to another site.

It sounds to me like Seattle would be the best fit. I like it. Good luck!

*A note about the weather. See the Seattle sub-forum's sticky on it. It should provide some useful info. The fact is Seattle DOES get a lot of rainy days, but it's more like a misty drizzle usually. Doesn't detract from the fact, though, that you do go months on end where 6 days a week or more is cloudy. Vitamin D and calcium pills are a necessity, even for white folks.

I actually agree with alot of this. I think in general the west coast of the United States is a good place for interracial couples. Minneapolis is good too, I am not sure about Chicago.

Chicago seems to have quite a bit more racism, especially between black and white people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,068,631 times
Chicago is certainly more racist, but to call interracial dating "taboo" in Chicago is stereotyping and simply incorrect. If you had ANY Chicago forumers here, you'd hear a lot of crap just for saying that. Chicago probably has more interracial couples than both cities combined, but maybe not percetage-wise. Also, I still think the OP should check Indeed.com or other job sites and see if she can find applications for areas to work in all 3 cities. The city where she can get the job, and the city where she can pay the rent, is the city she should START with, IMO, regardless of the rest of the info.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,530,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Chicago is certainly more racist, but to call interracial dating "taboo" in Chicago is stereotyping and simply incorrect. If you had ANY Chicago forumers here, you'd hear a lot of crap just for saying that. Chicago probably has more interracial couples than both cities combined, but maybe not percetage-wise. Also, I still think the OP should check Indeed.com or other job sites and see if she can find applications for areas to work in all 3 cities. The city where she can get the job, and the city where she can pay the rent, is the city she should START with, IMO, regardless of the rest of the info.
Seeing as how I grew up there, I don't think it is. I say things for how I see them. That said it is anecdotal evidence. All I'm saying is whenever a friend of mine dating a girl of another race (especially if she was black), all my other friends would be like "hmmmm, why's he dating her? He does realize she's probably got STDs right? Or hooks on the streets in her hood? Or has another black bf who's in the gang?"

So glad I moved on to more accepting and better city like Seattle. Chicago's got a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,167,037 times
Quote:
all my other friends would be like "hmmmm, why's he dating her? He does realize she's probably got STDs right? Or hooks on the streets in her hood? Or has another black bf who's in the gang?"
you hung out with middle-school imbeciles. that is the problem.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,068,631 times
Quote:
Seeing as how I grew up there, I don't think it is. I say things for how I see them. That said it is anecdotal evidence. All I'm saying is whenever a friend of mine dating a girl of another race (especially if she was black), all my other friends would be like "hmmmm, why's he dating her? He does realize she's probably got STDs right? Or hooks on the streets in her hood? Or has another black bf who's in the gang?"

So glad I moved on to more accepting and better city like Seattle. Chicago's got a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.
Okay, and I know like 100 people there, and not all of them would say that.....so where does that put your source? There's no way you can sit here and generalize 10 million people with that kind of rhetoric! Is Chicago more racist and unaccepting? Yes! Is it across the board? Not even close!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,587,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Also, I still think the OP should check Indeed.com or other job sites and see if she can find applications for areas to work in all 3 cities. The city where she can get the job, and the city where she can pay the rent, is the city she should START with, IMO, regardless of the rest of the info.
From what she says, it sounds like wherever there is a University or government, she'll have a job. She already stated she's going to quit her job and go to school full-time. But of course a lot can change in a couple years, that regardless of wherever she chooses now... it might not work out for her in the end and she'd have to move somewhere else. Who knows what will happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupakabrik View Post
I am going to major in Educational Psychology (with Statistical/Research Methodology focus). So my future employment will likely be a testing agency, university or government

OP's already mentioned that she's terribly indecisive, just watch: she probably won't follow our advices at all.

I think for her, she might as well base her choice on which University is most prestigious... **OR (and probably more importantly)** Have her boyfriend follow West's advice and see where he can get a job since he's the one that'll have to support the two of them (and their dog).

Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,177,602 times
Quote:
Hi everyone

I have applied to graduate schools in Seattle, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh a couple of months ago. Now I am starting to receive letters of admission, and will need to make a decision on where to move fast All of these are very nice cities I can see ourselves living in, and the programs that I have applied to are all similar. I am an indecisive person, so this makes it.. ugh.. very difficult.

Me, my boyfriend and our terrier mix currently live in Orlando (family reasons, and we absolutely hate it here). I will be quitting my current job and going to school full time, he will need to find a new job, most likely in customer service (he is currently a manager in an amusement park).

Which city do you think will work best for us? We are considering cost of living, jobs, weather, public transportation and just a general "feel" of the city. We are fairly liberal, interracial (Puerto Rican and Russian), love the outdoors and big-city amenities.

I am leaning towards Seattle or Minneapolis (Pittsburgh is still on the map, although it seems to be less diverse and more blue collar).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
I can only speak for Seattle. Things that mesh with Seattle: you have a dog (very dog friendly, lots parks/play areas/services), liberal, interracial, love outdoors, love city amenities. We have a lot of Russians here, including Russian bakeries!

Argue for somewhere other than Seattle: cost of living (it's expensive here), jobs (no amusement parks, though we have customer service positions), weather (grey/depressing/rainy much of the year), public transportation (just the bus service, which can be unreliable & has a sketchy clientele at times).

Old 01-30-2012, 03:19 AM

624 posts, read 705,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I can only speak for Seattle. Things that mesh with Seattle: you have a dog (very dog friendly, lots parks/play areas/services), liberal, interracial, love outdoors, love city amenities. We have a lot of Russians here, including Russian bakeries!

Argue for somewhere other than Seattle: cost of living (it's expensive here), jobs (no amusement parks, though we have customer service positions), weather (grey/depressing/rainy much of the year), public transportation (just the bus service, which can be unreliable & has a sketchy clientele at times).
One more thing you forgot to add is that for the size of this city I find myself feeling very safe almost anywhere I go, crime is low, Seattle does have a drug problem but all in all a very safe city including areas like Tacoma which the locals have told me is a sketchy area.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM

12 posts, read 10,409 times
Well, Pittsburgh is out. I sent my decline yesterday, now they can offer that spot to someone else, and I only have 2 left.

To those of you suggesting I do my homework, I have done research on all these cities prior to applying and still use other sources other than city-data to figure out which one would be better for us My boyfriend said he looked and it looks like he'll be able to find a job in either of those cities. Seattle might have more opportunities for travel/tourism based customer service.

Just a side note, he will NOT have to support me financially I have enough savings to get me through the first year and plan on taking cost of living loan to help with the second year. I am completely dept free right now, so I think in the long run it will be a good investment

As far as prestige of schools, it's a close one. UofM's program is ranked higher, but I am more interested by research at UW. Both are great universities and are regarded highly.

Oh, one more thing. My family is here in FL, his is in Chicago. Minneapolis is very close to Chi so we would be able to visit often, but my parents are pushing for Seattle because they eventually want to move there as well.

I don't knoooooooow

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,219,161 times
Quote:
Hi everyone

I have applied to graduate schools in Seattle, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh a couple of months ago. Now I am starting to receive letters of admission, and will need to make a decision on where to move fast All of these are very nice cities I can see ourselves living in, and the programs that I have applied to are all similar. I am an indecisive person, so this makes it.. ugh.. very difficult.

Me, my boyfriend and our terrier mix currently live in Orlando (family reasons, and we absolutely hate it here). I will be quitting my current job and going to school full time, he will need to find a new job, most likely in customer service (he is currently a manager in an amusement park).

Which city do you think will work best for us? We are considering cost of living, jobs, weather, public transportation and just a general "feel" of the city. We are fairly liberal, interracial (Puerto Rican and Russian), love the outdoors and big-city amenities.

I am leaning towards Seattle or Minneapolis (Pittsburgh is still on the map, although it seems to be less diverse and more blue collar).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
I have nothing to say about Seattle, since I've never even been there, but would imagine it has the most "big city" amenities of the three, but is also most expensive.

I've lived in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. They're similar. Pittsburgh has a big university scene that might be nice. Public transit is lacking, as are most "big-city" amenities, and downtown is dead after work-hours.

Minneapolis has a bigger city feel-- more to do. More museums, restaurants, clubs, etc. Big college feel by the UofM. Better public transit. A little bit more expensive than Pittsburgh for a renter; much more for a homeowner. Less interesting geography/topography, and much more grueling weather in Minneapolis. Both equally close to camping, hiking, "natural distractions."

Pretty much a toss-up. I would go on the strength of the individual programs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City