U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better for a graduate student?
Seattle 28 38.89%
Minneapolis 24 33.33%
Pittsburgh 20 27.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

5,088 posts, read 5,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywithacold View Post
Not sure why Pitt would have been included with these two cities to begin with, as it isn't comparable.
What? Didn't you even read the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

4,870 posts, read 5,410,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Oh.....if you are used to swimming outside, don't live in Seattle.....it rarely gets above 80 degrees. I know I can't swim outside comfortably unless it's at least 85 degrees. Being from Orlando, I'd assume you expect heat in the summer, and Seattle is too mild for water recreation IMO. There are 3 full months of 80+ weather in Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, and plenty of partial months as well. So while you don't get the snow you would in Minneapolis or Pittsburgh in Seattle, Seattle rarely gets hot enough to sweat, and the cost of living there is 2-3 times Minneapolis or Pittsburgh.
Bingo. We have a winrar on what the definition of "tolerable" is.

I'm from Chicago, and I go swimming in Lake Washington just fine. Puget Sound water people still go kayaking on and swimming in. Even when its 50 deg outside.

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,595,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As a student you won't get to notice it as much as your head is down in the books.

I guess it boils down to what region of the US do you want to live in after you graduate? What field are you going to study in and work in ?
That is all the OP should be thinking about...

If I had to flip a coin I'd probably choose Pittsburgh... People who graduate there easily transition to both the east coast and midwest after graduation.

Being from FL, you'll probably hate the weather in all 3. Minneapolis might be shocking. Seattle is the mildest so could be the easier transition in terms of temp, but not much sun up there in comparison.

Seattle/MPLS both have quite a bit more going on than Pittsburgh in terms of typical city stuff though.

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 8,876 times
Just to clarify, I do NOT like Florida weather. Sure, I like the 2-3 months of bliss we have Dec-Feb but that's it, the rest of the time I just feel like I am suffocating.

The thing that scares me about Minneapolis winters is not so much the cold, but the inconveniences it brings. I remember being a kid and loving to play in the cold and the snow, but have a hard time picturing how I am going to walk my dog and drive in the winter.

Oh, and we have pools here almost at every apartment complex and I go there maybe twice a year. I'll trade swimming for skiing any day.

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

239 posts, read 201,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupakabrik View Post
Just to clarify, I do NOT like Florida weather. Sure, I like the 2-3 months of bliss we have Dec-Feb but that's it, the rest of the time I just feel like I am suffocating.

The thing that scares me about Minneapolis winters is not so much the cold, but the inconveniences it brings. I remember being a kid and loving to play in the cold and the snow, but have a hard time picturing how I am going to walk my dog and drive in the winter.

Oh, and we have pools here almost at every apartment complex and I go there maybe twice a year. I'll trade swimming for skiing any day.
The skiing available to you near Seattle is far superior to anything near Minneapolis or Pittsburgh.

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM

5,088 posts, read 5,096,346 times
Quote:

Oh, believe me when I say this... When it comes to snow... You want to be in Minneapolis than Seattle. Seattle cannot handle snow and the hills make it a PITA. (Though, I will say this, this winter's handling was better). That said... Seattle doesn't get snow every winter.

You can always buy a jacket and pink booties for your dog.

Unread 01-31-2012, 09:00 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,595,982 times
Quote:

If skiing is your thing then take Minneapolis and Pittsburgh off the list. Seattle kills them.

Unread 02-01-2012, 07:05 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,140,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Bingo. We have a winrar on what the definition of "tolerable" is.

I'm from Chicago, and I go swimming in Lake Washington just fine. Puget Sound water people still go kayaking on and swimming in. Even when its 50 deg outside.
Oh man, that's a bit crazy, but more power to you! Not for me, personally, but that doesn't mean it's not for anyone, or the OP.

Unread 02-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
The skiing available to you near Seattle is far superior to anything near Minneapolis or Pittsburgh.
True....but MUCH further away. You can ski in 3 Minneapolis suburbs that are 15 miles or less from downtown. It's not great skiing though, but it IS great for slolomn ski racing (which I did), and has bred MULTIPLE Olympians, ironically!

Unread 02-01-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh, believe me when I say this... When it comes to snow... You want to be in Minneapolis than Seattle. Seattle cannot handle snow and the hills make it a PITA. (Though, I will say this, this winter's handling was better). That said... Seattle doesn't get snow every winter.

You can always buy a jacket and pink booties for your dog.
Does your dog mind the rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City