Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best U.S city to live:
Plano,TX 22 11.76%
Richardson,TX 8 4.28%
Lincoln,NE 10 5.35%
Denver,CO 65 34.76%
Scottsdale,AZ 26 13.90%
Others (Please specify within your comment) 56 29.95%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

214 posts, read 673,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'd say Atlanta is the best all-around American city for balancing all those things you mention. Don't know about its Middle Eastern population, but there should be a way to look into that.

The crime rate isn't as high as people think, because it depends on the neighborhood. I don't know what you do and what the unemployment rate is in your line of work.

Like so many posters here, when I think of large Arab populations in a US city, I immediately think of Dearborn next to Detroit. Personally, I don't understand how a warm-weather immigrant group ended up there to begin with. Too cold.
Well, weather is one of those things you "get used to." I've lived in NC, South Florida and Michigan. In Florida, we went from an air-conditioned house to an air-conditioned car to an air-conditioned store. In Michigan, we go from a heated house to a heated car to a heated store.

I think the reason many middle easterners ended up in MI is because for a long time it was easy to get a decent blue-collar job, and for those with means, it was easy to be a business owner in the crappier areas of Detroit. Once a group of expats got established, they brought their family, and then they brought their extended family, et al. Most middle easterners I know got started in the Ghettos (because while they're bad, they're very similar to dealing with the bazaars and marketplaces in rural areas of the ME -- and I mean attitude wise, with haggling, banter, knowing everyone, etc.). Then they made money, and moved up to the 'burbs (maybe with a stop in Dearborn), and many ended up in Bloomfield Hills / West Bloomfield / Birmingham (which are some of the nicest areas in the entire country).

Honestly, once an ethnic group is established, people will put up with a lot (bad weather, crime, high COL, etc) to be near others of the same ethnicity. I mean, why else would penniless immigrants from Puerto Rico or the Caribbean move to NYC, the most expensive city in the US? Well, they have a support network in place, and similarly situated people to lean on and tackle the journey together. It's not really that strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

43 posts, read 94,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Thanks for your help,although I'm not friendly with Persian people,I prefer Christians or even Jewish over them
The Council Member he was talking about is Amir Omar. He is the first Muslim elected to political office in North Texas. He is also the first Iranian-American to be elected to a municipal office in Texas. Amir Omar is the son of a Palestinian father and Iranian mother. Compounding the improbability, one parent was Sunni and the other Sh'ite.

The point is the fact that the citizens of Richardson, TX elected him shows you that it is a friendly place for you or anyone else to live. It is a safe and reasonably priced city. It is also a major employment center of North Dallas so finding a job will not be as hard as most places. Richardson has held a lower unemployment rate than the national and state avg. for many years.

Last edited by DrewLB20; 03-08-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM

125 posts, read 268,373 times
Voted Denver, that weather is heavenly to me.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
Voted Denver, that weather is heavenly to me.

there is way more to a city than weather FYI.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
there is way more to a city than weather FYI.
Of course, but Indy doesn't have much of what matters to people other than cheap housing.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Indianapolis matches all those Criteria.
Great Healthcare System with state of the art health centers like IU health. Crime is low for a city its size Homicides have been going down for the past 5 years and the city has done a great effort to reduce crime
Cost of living is the lowest of any major US city.
Home to one of the most friendly down to earth cultures i have ever come across.
Has 4 seasons so the weather isn't always boring nice mild summers and decent Winters.
The Economy is the strongest in the midwest and outside the sunbelt in terms of growth. Heck were the fastest growing region in the Midwest and outside the Sunbelt so obiviously you have to add jobs if your going to add population .
Education wise we have the University of Indianapolis/IUPUI/Purdue just an hour away and IU an hour south in Bloomington/Butler University *Go Bulldogs!*.
Plus one advantage the OP didn't list and thats location.
3 hour drive to Chicago/Lake Michiga/Louisville
4 hour drive to St Louis and Columbus Ohio
2 hour drive to Fort Wayne and Dayton/Cincy Ohio.
Another Plus is our city host major events on an annual basis. The Indy 500 with over 400,000 people every Memorial day weekend The Brickyard 400 is big too. Super Bowl 46 was held here and theres a high chance well be put on the rotation. NCAA Womens/Mens final four are guarenteed to be held in the city every 5 years due to the NCAA being Headquartered here. Gen Con gaming convention where everyone dresses up and brings out their inner gamer (Talk about Halloween in August lol). Finally if you have kids they will love the largest childrens Museum in the world here in Indy.

For your own convience Vlago's

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
I vote for Plano, mainly based on cost of living and economic factors. It should be easier to find work as an architectural draftsmen in Dallas than just about any place other than Houston, with which it is tied. Both areas are still adding lots of people (and so, I assume, buildings). Go ahead and count that as a vote for Richardson too, if it's right next door.

But yes, to the OP, Detroit is considered by many to be the capital of "Muslim America".

Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis matches all those Criteria.
Great Healthcare System with state of the art health centers like IU health. Crime is low for a city its size Homicides have been going down for the past 5 years and the city has done a great effort to reduce crime
Cost of living is the lowest of any major US city.
Home to one of the most friendly down to earth cultures i have ever come across.
Has 4 seasons so the weather isn't always boring nice mild summers and decent Winters.
The Economy is the strongest in the midwest and outside the sunbelt in terms of growth. Heck were the fastest growing region in the Midwest and outside the Sunbelt so obiviously you have to add jobs if your going to add population .
Education wise we have the University of Indianapolis/IUPUI/Purdue just an hour away and IU an hour south in Bloomington/Butler University *Go Bulldogs!*.
Plus one advantage the OP didn't list and thats location.
3 hour drive to Chicago/Lake Michiga/Louisville
4 hour drive to St Louis and Columbus Ohio
2 hour drive to Fort Wayne and Dayton/Cincy Ohio.
Another Plus is our city host major events on an annual basis. The Indy 500 with over 400,000 people every Memorial day weekend The Brickyard 400 is big too. Super Bowl 46 was held here and theres a high chance well be put on the rotation. NCAA Womens/Mens final four are guarenteed to be held in the city every 5 years due to the NCAA being Headquartered here. Gen Con gaming convention where everyone dresses up and brings out their inner gamer (Talk about Halloween in August lol). Finally if you have kids they will love the largest childrens Museum in the world here in Indy.

For your own convience Vlago's
You sound just a bit naive, how old are you? How many states/cities/countries have you visited?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I vote for Plano, mainly based on cost of living and economic factors. It should be easier to find work as an architectural draftsmen in Dallas than just about any place other than Houston, with which it is tied. Both areas are still adding lots of people (and so, I assume, buildings). Go ahead and count that as a vote for Richardson too, if it's right next door.

But yes, to the OP, Detroit is considered by many to be the capital of "Muslim America".
Not always.
The Islamic Society of North America is Headquartered in Plainfield, Indiana which is a suburb of Indianapolis. Heck Indianapolis's House representive in Washington D.C is a muslim.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM

57 posts, read 123,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
Listen, you are going about this whole search in the wrong way. Complaining about air & water quality in Indianapolis? Really?

You are letting "facts" and statistics get in the way of your search. How quickly you dismissed metro Detroit tells me that. Yes, the city of Detroit is horrible, but in the metro area, we have some of the best school systems in the nation, and several fortune 500 companies. Crime is low, and COL is even lower compared to what you get (a $200k home in a nice suburb in metro Detroit will blow away anything you can get in Arizona or California).

There are 3 prestigious universities in the state, anchored by the top-10 ranked U of M, and top 50 ranked MSU.

There is a large middle-eastern population here, and they tend to be very affluent and very involved in the community. Lots of opportunity for starting your own business and living very well.

My neighbors growing up were Chaldean. We had many Iraqis even in the most prestigious suburbs.

Yes, the weather sucks, but the summers are amazing.

I guess my whole point is that you are just looking up averages, statistics, crime rates, etc, and you're doing it based on entire regions. The US isn't really like that. You can be in a $15,000/mo apartment in the heart of Manhattan, and 4 miles away people will be living in hovels that are filthy and unhealthy.

There is an advantage to being near a large community of expats, especially given that you're moving here from Iraq. Wherever that may be, you will find that any American city will be ok. You just have to figure out what you want on a high-level (weather, jobs, COL), then pick a metro area, THEN research the communities that comprise that metro area.

You are never going to find what you're looking for the way you're searching. It's just not possible. Every region has it's own feel or vibe. Then within those regions, every community also has it's own vibe. You just need to figure out on a large scale what general area you'd like to go, then pick a community based on these other factors. And bear in mind that complaining about air or water quality is likely to be completely outside of your ability to understand given where you're from. This is the United States. We already have incredibly high standards for almost everything. Just because one community has a statistic that's worse or slightly worse, doesn't mean that it's not light-years ahead of what you're used to.
I'm sure of my research..I know what I'm saying..I said it before I don't want to live in Detroit ..don't try to give me it advantages...for me its worst of the worst....

I think the problem is with ur ability of understanding not mine !! Its funny what u said about USA has the high standards with almost everything !!!! very funny !!...US has high level of crime rate in most of the cities of US and it has very bad weather as well, also the natural diseases....while the area which I am from has not those factors ! or almost very very little compared to US..so don't talk without knowledge !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City