U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the best U.S city to live:
Plano,TX 21 13.04%
Richardson,TX 7 4.35%
Lincoln,NE 9 5.59%
Denver,CO 56 34.78%
Scottsdale,AZ 21 13.04%
Others (Please specify within your comment) 47 29.19%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM
 
39 posts, read 49,069 times
Reputation: 26
Lightbulb BEST U.S CITY TO LIVE (Cost of living/Economy/Weather/Crime rate/Friendliness/Health/Education)

Hello everyone..This is my first post in this great forum

I am an Iraqi refugee registered at UNHCR organization and I plan to live in America in the near future,,so I would like to ask about the best U.S city to live depending on my criteria..I did a lot of research on the net about this issue,I found the most appropriate cities for me are :

- Plano,TX
- Richardson,TX
- Lincoln,NE
- Denver,CO
- Scottsdale,AZ


My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)


Place the cities in sequential order as it deems appropriate for each of the criteria mentioned if you have the experience to live in any of these cities, or even any idea what it is

If you think there is "OTHER" cities that might be appropriate due to my criteria tell me about it as well


Thanks in advance..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
Reputation: 2203
WHAT ABOUT THESE CRITERIA? We know what they represent, but what do you PREFER? Like for weather, do you like warm/cold temps? Do you like low/high humidity? Etc.

My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)


I'll take a stab at it anyways, assuming what you meant: DENVER

I don't mean to suggest where you should live, but maybe consider Detroit if you want to be near larger Arab populations. Detroit has the largest in the country (I believe). If you are highly educated and are an enginieer, especially, Detroit has tons of engineering jobs available and need smart people working there. It's NOT the most lovable city in the U.S. though, but it does rank well on much of your criteria (schools, healthcare, etc.). Cleveland, OH also.


Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
9,907 posts, read 9,749,336 times
Reputation: 6345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Hello everyone..This is my first post in this great forum

I am an Iraqi refugee registered at UNHCR organization and I plan to live in America in the near future,,so I would like to ask about the best U.S city to live depending on my criteria..I did a lot of research on the net about this issue,I found the most appropriate cities for me are :

- Plano,TX
- Richardson,TX
- Lincoln,NE
- Denver,CO
- Scottsdale,AZ

My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)


Place the cities in sequential order as it deems appropriate for each of the criteria mentioned if you have the experience to live in any of these cities, or even any idea what it is

If you think there is "OTHER" cities that might be appropriate due to my criteria tell me about it as well


Thanks in advance..
I am Lebanese and I live in Plano and love it here. The people are really nice, there are 3 mosques within 5 miles of my house (even though Im Christian, I thought I would mention it for you), there are parks all over the city, its Asian/Middle Eastern community is more diverse than any of the other cities on your list (with the possible exception of Richardson which is right next door anyway), the schools are some of the best in the state, the Dallas/Fort Worth economy is booming, and there is very little crime to speak of.

If I were you, I would strongly consider Plano or Richardson. Both would be excellent choices for you. Remember they both border on each other so if you get one, you get the other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM
 
39 posts, read 49,069 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
WHAT ABOUT THESE CRITERIA? We know what they represent, but what do you PREFER? Like for weather, do you like warm/cold temps? Do you like low/high humidity? Etc.

My criteria of selection were:

- Cost of living (Housing,Utilities,transportation)
- Economy (Job growth,Job outlook,unemployment rate) (Consider my main job is Architectural drafter)
- Weather (Temperatures,Humidity rate)
- Crime rate (Violent crimes,Property crimes,Hate crimes)
- Friendliness (with Arab and Muslims)
- Health (Air quality,Water quality)
- Education (near to good high schools,colleges and/or universities)


I'll take a stab at it anyways, assuming what you meant: DENVER

I don't mean to suggest where you should live, but maybe consider Detroit if you want to be near larger Arab populations. Detroit has the largest in the country (I believe). If you are highly educated and are an enginieer, especially, Detroit has tons of engineering jobs available and need smart people working there. It's NOT the most lovable city in the U.S. though, but it does rank well on much of your criteria (schools, healthcare, etc.). Cleveland, OH also.


Detroit !!! please don't say it..Yes It has the largest Arab populations..But It's worst U.S city ever for all those criteria especially with crime rate and weather !! I prefer to live outside Arab area than living in Detroit !! and Cleveland bad as well..

I chose those cities because It's the best as most websites tell that,,there is some other cities might be good too such as Madison,WI but not appropriate due to weather factor..

I prefer mild weather with low humidity even if hot not a problem but not very cold ! that's why my list includes Scottsdale, although the cost of living is higher than other cities in my list.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
 
39 posts, read 49,069 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I am Lebanese and I live in Plano and love it here. The people are really nice, there are 3 mosques within 5 miles of my house (even though Im Christian, I thought I would mention it for you), there are parks all over the city, its Asian/Middle Eastern community is more diverse than any of the other cities on your list (with the possible exception of Richardson which is right next door anyway), the schools are some of the best in the state, the Dallas/Fort Worth economy is booming, and there is very little crime to speak of.

If I were you, I would strongly consider Plano or Richardson. Both would be excellent choices for you. Remember they both border on each other so if you get one, you get the other.
Thank you..I agreed..And I knew already both (Richardson and Plano) are bordered on each other,,even more one can get easily to the downtown of Dallas by the light rail which is connected among these cities as I read about them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
9,907 posts, read 9,749,336 times
Reputation: 6345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Thank you..I agreed..And I knew already both (Richardson and Plano) are bordered on each other,,even more one can get easily to the downtown of Dallas by the light rail which is connected among these cities as I read about them.
One thing I would watch out for on this board is that there is a big bias toward places that are more urban. Since Denver is definately the most urban, its going to win this poll. If urbanity is a huge selling point, then I would go with Denver but it doesnt sound like thats a huge selling point for you.

Im not going to say Denver is devoid of Arab or Muslim culture because it isnt, but the Arab and Muslim culture is definately far larger in the Dallas area and specifically Plano, Irving, Arlington, Carrollton, and Richardson. For those reasons, the Dallas area is definately worth a look.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
Reputation: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrawi View Post
Detroit !!! please don't say it..Yes It has the largest Arab populations..But It's worst U.S city ever for all those criteria especially with crime rate and weather !! I prefer to live outside Arab area than living in Detroit !! and Cleveland bad as well..

I chose those cities because It's the best as most websites tell that,,there is some other cities might be good too such as Madison,WI but not appropriate due to weather factor..

I prefer mild weather with low humidity even if hot not a problem but not very cold ! that's why my list includes Scottsdale, although the cost of living is higher than other cities in my list.
Sorry, my bad! You didn't specify what you wanted in your criteria, but assumed nontheless, which is why I chose Denver.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
 
39 posts, read 49,069 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
One thing I would watch out for on this board is that there is a big bias toward places that are more urban. Since Denver is definately the most urban, its going to win this poll. If urbanity is a huge selling point, then I would go with Denver but it doesnt sound like thats a huge selling point for you.

Im not going to say Denver is devoid of Arab or Muslim culture because it isnt, but the Arab and Muslim culture is definately far larger in the Dallas area and specifically Plano, Irving, Arlington, Carrollton, and Richardson. For those reasons, the Dallas area is definately worth a look.
I didn't mention urbanity in my criteria list because the city must be urban to enter my list.

Yes, Denver is most urban among others..but all of my criteria is very important factor...Arab or Muslim community doesn't important for me,,although Denver has high rate of Islam and more than 1% of population, but the most important thing with this point is whether American's people in these cities are friendly to muslims and arab or not

Anyhow, hate crimes in all these cities are low to average except Lincoln It has high number of hate crimes by race ! although the U.S government designated Lincoln as "Refugee-friendly city" and It has large of Iraqi population, more than 5000 Iraqis there while the total population about 260000

I still wonder if anyone would vote for Lincoln or not ?!! and why in both cases ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
 
3,169 posts, read 3,236,327 times
Reputation: 2296
I vote none of the above...try San Diego if you can afford it or Los Angeles. Or more urban areas...Virginia/Maryland right outside of DC, Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Chicago. Obviously US is huge and each state is different in its own way. You won't find all of your criteria is one place.

I wouldn't vote for Lincoln...it is seriously cold there in the winter.

Last edited by loveautumn; 01-31-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
 
39 posts, read 49,069 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I vote none of the above...try San Diego if you can afford it or Los Angeles. Or more urban areas...Virginia/Maryland right outside of DC, Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Chicago. Obviously US is huge and each state is different in its own way. You won't find all of your criteria is one place.

I wouldn't vote for Lincoln...it is seriously cold there in the winter.
I disagree,SD and LA both has bad economy,,And I don't see myself with cities or state you mentioned except Seattle maybe,,but bad weather there..

Throughout my research, the cities above have the best of my criteria, but It's very difficult to decide which one wins !! I expected most of you will say DENVER It was my first choice at the beginning of research but now I can't say it's the best one !

My preference sequential order of these cities as it's ordered in the post and poll.

Hope someone can give another sequential order from his/her living experience
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top