U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
Default Moving: Albuquerque or Seattle?

I live in rural Nevada (driving distance from Las Vegas) and am considering to move out of state. My family and I are considering Albuquerque and Seattle. I know both cities have their advantages and disadvantages. I, personally, am more leaning toward Albuquerque because of the weather and the similar climate (hot and dry). When it comes to Seattle I am a little nervous about the weather since I don't like constant clouds and rain. Anybody who lived in either of these cities and can tell me more about what it's like to live their? I am looking for a family environment where children are welcome. Which city is more "child-friendly"?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM

313 posts, read 426,458 times
They're not even close to comparable. If you want warm/sun, don't move to Seattle. Seattle is much more temperate, much larger, and much more liberal than ABQ.

Unread 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,440,557 times
In terms of family friendliness, the Seattle area is pretty good. Note I said "area" ... I personally wouldn't live in Seattle with a family. Not because it's dangerous or anything ... quite the opposite really, it's probably the safest large metro area in the USA. But because of the costs and the idiot mayor and in general everything boomed in the 1960s, so the infrastructure is starting to look a little worn, and the uber-liberal mayors typically are more than happy to let it rot in hopes people will take the bus or ride a bike or whatever the heck they're thinking of.

The east side suburbs are much more centrist and much more rooted in reality IMVHO. There's a reason why >80% of the growth in the metro area occurs OUTSIDE of Seattle proper.

Now in terms of weather, nothing could be the opposite to hot, dry, and sunny Nevada. At least in the winter.

The secret about this area is we have perfect, bar none, no matter where you go in the world, summers. And I've traveled quite a bit. 75, perfect humidity, and sunny, all summer long. But we pay for it with 7-8 months of gloom.

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM

449 posts, read 493,734 times
Before I chose to move to ABQ years ago, my other choice was Seattle. They are very different places of course, but both have great scenery and outdoor rec options. Seattle does many things better than ABQ, but I chose Albuquerque for the following reasons:

-Better weather - contrary to what you wrote in your post though, ABQ is not "hot", summers are pretty comfortable with cool evenings.
-less expensive
-"off the beaten path"
-considerably more diverse than Seattle
-both were friendly, but I thought ABQ to be a bit more friendly
-I much prefer the New Mexico adobe/pueblo revival style of architecture - i think it matches the environment much better than the wood&vinyl that is ubiquitous in Seattle
-the food - I prefer green chile and enchiladas to fresh seafood
-the history that is present everywhere
-the sunsets

and I could go on...

Seattle definitely has its benefits though - it's likely got less crime than ABQ, better schools, has far more greenery if that's a big concern about ABQ, has ocean access, and is more urban, with a much bigger city feel.

-However, I don't know what your political views are, but despite what the earlier poster from Seattle said, I wouldn't really describe Seattle as more "liberal" than Albuquerque, despite the perceptions. But I guess that has alot to do with what your perception of liberal is - ABQ is far more "live and let live", whereas Seattle puts more emphasis on environmentalism.

Unread 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM

239 posts, read 202,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
-considerably more diverse than Seattle
If you mean considerably more hispanic than Seattle then you are correct. Otherwise, Seattle has far more visible minority groups than Albuquerque does.

But I agree with the posters above, if you are looking for the Nevada weather and are put off by the rain Albuquerque sounds like a good fit.

Unread 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,899,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
If you mean considerably more hispanic than Seattle then you are correct. Otherwise, Seattle has far more visible minority groups than Albuquerque does.

But I agree with the posters above, if you are looking for the Nevada weather and are put off by the rain Albuquerque sounds like a good fit.
Absolutely correct. Seattle probably wouldn't be a wise choice.

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:03 PM

1,078 posts, read 675,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
quite the opposite really, it's probably the safest large metro area in the USA.
I think that's an exaggeration - I'd say it's probably top 5, but saying it's probably the safest is a bit of stretch. Sorry to be nit-picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City