U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 46,813,116 times

Advertisements

I'm talking Indian, Pakistani, Burmese, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, Southern Chinese, Korean, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Peruvian, Jamaican, Trinidadian and basically any other food that is heavy on spices, chili peppers, curry powder etc. Anyone who frequently craves food. Maybe 'hot' is a better word than spicy but anyway.

I'm thinking the usual suspects would be LA, SF and NY. But what about Houston, Chicago, D.C.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

896 posts, read 964,133 times
Ahhh good question as I am a huuuuuuuuuuuge fan of spicy food, I couldn't tell you but will say that LA has loads of thai and mexican restaurants.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,938,508 times
Your mad if you dont have NEW ORLEANS, Dallas, Houston, Miami on there. Peppers and spicy seafood especially for New Orleans and Houston and to a much lessor extent Miami. Not to mention real Mexican food/organic Mexican food in Dallas and Houston are spicy as are their Japanese (Wasabi), Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, and Chinese foods. Miami's spicy food is influenced more by places like Ecuador, Peru, Colombia. Miami, Dallas, and Houston also meet the ethnic composition requirement that you had in your opening post. Chicago is all around a fantastic food town.

DC is lacking in spicy food places but still has many spicy ethnic foods, although they pale in comparison IMO

Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 25,056,170 times
New Orleans/Houston are spicy central as far as homegrown foods. I mean, if you get spicy thai/indian/sichuan anywhere...it is going to be spicy if done right and not "americanized". Often I have to tell them I want it FREAKING HOT, not this gringo stuff. If I get wings I get the very hottest on the menu, and usually it still isn't hot enough.
I like extremely spicy food, and add red chiles/habanero/scotch bonnet/raw jalapenos etc. to a lot of my food. Sauces like sriracha or cholula aren't spicy to me, just "flavorful".
The spiciest food I've ever had that is very high spice though is Nigerian/Ethiopian, the peppers they use don't necessarily burn your mouth but more earthy and make you sweat profusely.
The hotter the climate, generally the spicier the cuisine... The hot food helps you to perspire and cool down.

Last edited by grapico; 02-02-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,938,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New Orleans/Houston are spicy central as far as homegrown foods. I mean, if you get spicy thai/indian/szechuan anywhere...it is going to be spicy if done right and not "americanized".
I like extremely spicy food, and add red chiles/habanero/scotch bonnet/raw jalapenos etc. to a lot of my food. Sauces like sriracha or cholula aren't spicy to me, just "flavorful".
The spiciest food I've ever had that is very high spice though is Nigerian/Ethiopian.
I agree and I am a huge fan of spicy food also. While you mention it, I have to give Boston a mention also not for the traditional spicy pepper seafood but for the spicy Brazilian food there.

NY, LA, DC, SF, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Denver are all big and diverse enough to have plenty of spicy ethnic foods but for regional spicy food/regional hot peppers its only a select few places.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 AM

3,478 posts, read 4,141,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
NY, LA, DC, SF, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Denver are all big and diverse enough to have plenty of spicy ethnic foods but for regional spicy food/regional hot peppers its only a select few places.
This would be my answer. The big cities in the US are getting so diverse that you basically can find authentic ethnic food in many of them. Spicy foods are no exception.

Also just to add to your point about Miami, the countries you mentioned were correct, but you have to include West Indian food in there too. South Florida has the most authentic selection of West Indian food outside of the Caribbean. Great stuff down there.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 AM

21,775 posts, read 31,736,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm talking Indian, Pakistani, Burmese, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, Southern Chinese, Korean, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Peruvian, Jamaican, Trinidadian and basically any other food that is heavy on spices, chili peppers, curry powder etc. Anyone who frequently craves food. Maybe 'hot' is a better word than spicy but anyway.

I'm thinking the usual suspects would be LA, SF and NY. But what about Houston, Chicago, D.C.?
For sheer magnitude and variety of ethnicities, NYC wins hands down. You name it, and it's there with at least a dozen or so restaurants representing. I know from living in DC that it has each of the ethnic groups you mention, though perhaps just one or two in some instances. DC restaurants tend to tone down the spices a bit I think, but one can correct that when ordering.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM

10,717 posts, read 13,548,494 times
The usual suspects.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,263,668 times
Any city with sizable hispanic, asian, carribean, or african populations is going to have plenty of spicy food around.

Here in the Bay Area you can get Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Peruvian, Chilean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese, Indian, Ethiopian, etc. Given that the Bay is 50% asian and latino (Including many immigrants), and has a decent amount of African Immigrants, it's a pretty good place to be if you like spicy food. Also, I'm not very familiar with middle eastern food elsewhere, so maybe this is common, but around here you can often get shawarmas with hot sauce in them.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

6,915 posts, read 12,688,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Any city with sizable hispanic, asian, carribean, or african populations is going to have plenty of spicy food around.

Here in the Bay Area you can get Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, Peruvian, Chilean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese, Indian, Ethiopian, etc. Given that the Bay is 50% asian and latino (Including many immigrants), and has a decent amount of African Immigrants, it's a pretty good place to be if you like spicy food. Also, I'm not very familiar with middle eastern food elsewhere, so maybe this is common, but around here you can often get shawarmas with hot sauce in them.

Also worth mentioning for the Bay are Jamaican & Nigerian cuisine which is generally spicier than the others depending on the dish you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or