Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better city to live?
Cleveland 34 42.50%
New Orleans 46 57.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times

Advertisements

N.O. is a great party town, no doubt, but it's rather one-note... You've got the French Quarter - which is awesome, but then what? The Garden Distirct is nice, but I could name 8-10 neighborhoods, in Cleveland and it's nearby suburbs that match or (easily) surpass the Garden District. And many of Cleveland's upscale suburbs, like Cleveland Hts, Lakewood and Shaker Heights, have tons of old (brownstone, walk up) and new high-rise apts and condos, where there are a bunch of young professionals...
... Aside from these, downtown Cleveland, ... and Ohio City, is usually like the French Quarter on Friday and Saturday nights, year around (I was just down there Saturday, and it was like New York in many areas; East 4th Street, W. 6, and West 25 (Ohio City) could have been Bourbon Street, ... easily (and e. 4th even has the hanging lights,... (Coventry and Li'l Italy have that kind of energy, too).
... Plus, aside from N.O.'s obvious jazz and blues heritage -- it's the home of American jazz -- New Orleans doesn't come close to Cleveland in the preforming or fine arts... Playouse Square is the largest theatre district outside Broadway, but what does N.O. have that's even close... it doesn't. (and I haven't mentioned all the neighborhood/regional Cleve-area theatres like Cleve Public Theatre, the Dobama, East Cleveland; all excellent... What about Cleveland's famed Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival... It's so big, Hollywood even made an excellent movie about it in the 1980s ("Those Lips, Those Eyes)... and New Orleans?????

What about the Cleveland Museum of Art, Nat'l History Museum or Western Reserve Historical Society... hell, what about the one museum Cleveland has that the avg. American Joe knows about: the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum???? ... or its neighbor, the Great Lakes Science Center...

... and let's not even discuss Cleveland's Top-2, or 3 Orchestra in the nation; situated in one of the finest facilities (Severance Hall), in the amazing/beautiful arts district: University Circle.... Does N.O. have anything close to University Circle? ANSWER: hell no!

Don't singles enjoy/need some culture ... You guys really sell American singles short with this image that, all they want, is to sit on their collective asses and sit in bars and get sloppy drunk every night... If that ALL they want, ... well, perhaps, New Orleans fits the bill... But if you want LIFE besides that, Cleveland trumps New Orleans... BIGTIME!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
N.O. is a great party town, no doubt, but it's rather one-note... You've got the French Quarter - which is awesome, but then what? The Garden Distirct is nice, but I could name 8-10 neighborhoods, in Cleveland and it's nearby suburbs that match or (easily) surpass the Garden District. And many of Cleveland's upscale suburbs, like Cleveland Hts, Lakewood and Shaker Heights, have tons of old (brownstone, walk up) and new high-rise apts and condos, where there are a bunch of young professionals...
... Aside from these, downtown Cleveland, ... and Ohio City, is usually like the French Quarter on Friday and Saturday nights, year around (I was just down there Saturday, and it was like New York in many areas; East 4th Street, W. 6, and West 25 (Ohio City) could have been Bourbon Street, ... easily (and e. 4th even has the hanging lights,... (Coventry and Li'l Italy have that kind of energy, too).
... Plus, aside from N.O.'s obvious jazz and blues heritage -- it's the home of American jazz -- New Orleans doesn't come close to Cleveland in the preforming or fine arts... Playouse Square is the largest theatre district outside Broadway, but what does N.O. have that's even close... it doesn't. (and I haven't mentioned all the neighborhood/regional Cleve-area theatres like Cleve Public Theatre, the Dobama, East Cleveland; all excellent... What about Cleveland's famed Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival... It's so big, Hollywood even made an excellent movie about it in the 1980s ("Those Lips, Those Eyes)... and New Orleans?????

What about the Cleveland Museum of Art, Nat'l History Museum or Western Reserve Historical Society... hell, what about the one museum Cleveland has that the avg. American Joe knows about: the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum???? ... or its neighbor, the Great Lakes Science Center...

... and let's not even discuss Cleveland's Top-2, or 3 Orchestra in the nation; situated in one of the finest facilities (Severance Hall), in the amazing/beautiful arts district: University Circle.... Does N.O. have anything close to University Circle? ANSWER: hell no!

Don't singles enjoy/need some culture ... You guys really sell American singles short with this image that, all they want, is to sit on their collective asses and sit in bars and get sloppy drunk every night... If that ALL they want, ... well, perhaps, New Orleans fits the bill... But if you want LIFE besides that, Cleveland trumps New Orleans... BIGTIME!!
I would, but it's not worth the time. If you think New Orleans is just The French Quarter and Garden District then that's on you. No, Cleveland doesn't trump New Orleans in those categories.

..and no street in America is like Bourbon. You don't wanna bring up festivals against the city with some of the most and best festivals in the country.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
As much as I'm not really a fan of Cleveland. Most Clevelanders can attest to that. I am even more less of a fan of New Orleans anymore. Mainly due to it's high crime rate. Not that Cleveland is Mayberry in comparison. But I think Cleveland actually has more to offer and is going in the right direction. Their ballet, musical, sympathy orchestra section is pretty good considering Cleveland's size. They have better withstanding cultural offerings. New Orleans is sort of living on their Mardi Gras appeal; which, quite frankly is losing its appeal. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things. There's not alot of jobs in New Orleans. I do love their restaurant/ethnic offerings but vastly over-rated. New Orleans is a much smaller metro overall. I just think Cleveland stacks up better.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
As much as I'm not really a fan of Cleveland. Most Clevelanders can attest to that. I am even more less of a fan of New Orleans anymore. Mainly due to it's high crime rate. Not that Cleveland is Mayberry in comparison. But I think Cleveland actually has more to offer and is going in the right direction. Their ballet, musical, sympathy orchestra section is pretty good considering Cleveland's size. They have better withstanding cultural offerings. New Orleans is sort of living on their Mardi Gras appeal; which, quite frankly is losing its appeal. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things. There's not alot of jobs in New Orleans. I do love their restaurant/ethnic offerings but vastly over-rated. New Orleans is a much smaller metro overall. I just think Cleveland stacks up better.
Living on Mardi Gras appeal? Really? There are jobs in New Orleans, one of the best cities for jobs.
Stop selling NO short, because you really are.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Living on Mardi Gras appeal? Really? There are jobs in New Orleans, one of the best cities for jobs.
Stop selling NO short, because you really are.

It's just my opinion. I don't think that I am selling NO short. I know many who have lived there from where I live now and tell me that for years, outside of the French quarter/ downtown, you wouldn't want to wander off very far. Things get very sketchy quickly. I wouldn't want to live in a city where they have already had almost 30 murders, and we're barely a month in. That's not appealing to me. I want a city that I can feel free to wander all over the place. I'm not saying Cleveland quite fits this either. I'm taking the lesser of the two..However, Cleveland has more to offer overall. Not just my opinion. It is the opinion of many. And trust me, I'm no Cleveland booster. However, it's hard to deny that they have many more things going on outside of what NO has to offer.

New Orleans has turned into a one trick pony. Outside of partying and some french southern quisine, what are they famous for? Crime...I'm not being wise, I just don't know. Enlighten me. But please don't be rude. This is just my opinion on the matter.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It's just my opinion. I don't think that I am selling NO short. I know many who have lived there from where I live now and tell me that for years, outside of the French quarter/ downtown, you wouldn't want to wander off very far. Things get very sketchy quickly. I wouldn't want to live in a city where they have already had almost 30 murders, and we're barely a month in. That's not appealing to me. I want a city that I can feel free to wander all over the place. I'm not saying Cleveland quite fits this either. I'm taking the lesser of the two..However, Cleveland has more to offer overall. Not just my opinion. It is the opinion of many. And trust me, I'm no Cleveland booster. However, it's hard to deny that they have many more things going on outside of what NO has to offer.

New Orleans has turned into a one trick pony. Outside of partying and some french southern quisine, what are they famous for? Crime...I'm not being wise, I just don't know. Enlighten me. But please don't be rude. This is just my opinion on the matter.
Because they don't know the city, much of Uptown is perfectly safe and people are jogging and strolling all over the city, especially Magazine St and St Charles Ave. As long as you don't sell drugs you will most likely be ok, otherwise, you are just as likely to be affected by crime in Cleveland (or any city) as you are in New Orleans.
Exactly what does Cleveland offer more of? Who moves to a city for performing arts, that's all I've been hearing.

Being famous for something is what people think of a city, doesn't make the city. New Orleans is not a city I can describe very well. Outside of downtown, there are more things to do, many neighborhood joints. There's not just French or southern cuisines in the city, there's a diverse set of dining options from Thai, and Vietnamese to Kosher. Nothing like a one trick pony, more like one big circus tent with everything going on under it.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Cleveland is probably the more comfortable and sterile of the two, but New Orleans is simply too awesome.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Because they don't know the city, much of Uptown is perfectly safe and people are jogging and strolling all over the city, especially Magazine St and St Charles Ave. As long as you don't sell drugs you will most likely be ok, otherwise, you are just as likely to be affected by crime in Cleveland (or any city) as you are in New Orleans.
Exactly what does Cleveland offer more of? Who moves to a city for performing arts, that's all I've been hearing.

Being famous for something is what people think of a city, doesn't make the city. New Orleans is not a city I can describe very well. Outside of downtown, there are more things to do, many neighborhood joints. There's not just French or southern cuisines in the city, there's a diverse set of dining options from Thai, and Vietnamese to Kosher. Nothing like a one trick pony, more like one big circus tent with everything going on under it.

Ok, so a few other areas..I'll give it that. Look personally, I like the Idea of NO better. The goth contribution to the city and graves make it a more desirable city if it weren't for the crime..If that city could take that city back. Meaning, getting rid of the criminal element than I think NO is prime for a renaissance. I'm not crapping on NO either. It's the crime factor that annoys me the most. Not that Cleveland's much better. Take that aside and their economy is still very hurt. Cleveland's isn't much better. Personallly I like the look of NO better and like it better in almost all regards. But in the last few years, NO lost alot of residents. Crime went up (which was a surprise since they lost so many residents). And the whole Mardi gras thing doesn't appeal too much to a late thirty something. Geography, looks, I give it to NO. But I know that Cleveland has done alot in the last few years and are sort of going through a renaissance. Because of that and that alone, I would rank it a little higher knowing that they have more to offer. Thanks for enlightening me about some areas I was not aware of. New Orleans still has a good shell in tack. Hopefully a renaissance of some sort will come and put that city back to where it should be.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ok, so a few other areas..I'll give it that. Look personally, I like the Idea of NO better. The goth contribution to the city and graves make it a more desirable city if it weren't for the crime..If that city could take that city back. Meaning, getting rid of the criminal element than I think NO is prime for a renaissance. I'm not crapping on NO either. It's the crime factor that annoys me the most. Not that Cleveland's much better. Take that aside and their economy is still very hurt. Cleveland's isn't much better. Personallly I like the look of NO better and like it better in almost all regards. But in the last few years, NO lost alot of residents. Crime went up (which was a surprise since they lost so many residents). And the whole Mardi gras thing doesn't appeal too much to a late thirty something. Geography, looks, I give it to NO. But I know that Cleveland has done alot in the last few years and are sort of going through a renaissance. Because of that and that alone, I would rank it a little higher knowing that they have more to offer. Thanks for enlightening me about some areas I was not aware of. New Orleans still has a good shell in tack. Hopefully a renaissance of some sort will come and put that city back to where it should be.
Even with the murders the city is undergoing a renaissance. Violent crime isn't that high and is probably near Cleveland in a list. The economy isn't very hurt, compared to 1980-2006. In the past few years the city didn't lose anyone, it lost people in 2005 only.

The New Orleans renaissance is already here.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
No way is Cleveland like New Orleans or NYC nightlife... not a chance. And all of this in the dead of winter? It pains me to say this, but the quarter is way busier than any nightlife district of Chicago, much less Cleveland.

New Orleans also has more local artists and local art galleries than Cleveland by the way. It's way more of a creative city where things are done, rather than displayed from elsewhere for the general public.

I'm not the biggest fan of New Orleans and wouldn't choose to live in Cleveland either... But New Orleans does have it's merits. It competes with cities MUCH larger than it's size in food/music/culture/nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City