Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I would say that if true, it is a very, very narrow base of locals that feel this way. I have never heard or seen anyone from the area claim this, and I've been going there since I was a kid. I also live among quite a few D.C. transplants, and they have never said anything even remotely like this.

I just think this is more of the local "we aren't anything like you" mindset that a marginal segment of the population believes. It is by no means the local standard across the metro, at any rate.
So you had a conversation with your friends from D.C. about whether they identify with the south or the north? You guys sound like you would be an interesting bunch to hang with lol. Anyway, the topic never comes up here. It's mainly a college campus conversation. I have also seen the news ask people that before. The answers are always the same. You also hear mid-atlantic which is mainly D.C. so that is basically the same answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM

118 posts, read 113,659 times
Nairobi: DC is uniquely unique, just like everyone else but just in a different way!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
I've never been to Atlanta but I've heard that it actually has a more dominant northern culture with all of the transplants and influences from employers like the CDC, Coca-Cola, etc. (I could be 100% wrong but that's what I've heard).

And a couple of cities in Florida I have been to had virtually no southern vibe to them. So as asinine as the argument over whether DC is southern seems to me, I have to agree with MDAllstar on this one that the land is only one part (maybe a dominant factor, but still only one) of what makes a city one particular culture. I think there's a lot of history here that makes it so easy to argue either side of this one. The land for DC was picked explicitly because it was in a southern state (it was a compromise in Article 1 of the Consitution when agreeing on creating a federal district). The southern states would only agree if the capital was in the south because they wanted it in a slave state. That said, precisely because of the transient nature everyone talks about in the context of DC, the culture has definitely become a very northern one and my wife agrees, and she was born in the district, raised in DMV, her grandparents lived in the district, and we've moved back to the district. So that's our two cents (for a total of $0.04).
Good post! People from DC don't consider themselves southerners or northerners. DC is just DC. The real DC has always been one of those places that was against the southern establishment. So when people try to pigeonhole DC and say it's southern without any facts, it becomes assinine. DC never ever celebrated southern culture or their heritage. In fact, DC celebrated MLK day before it was a federal holiday. DC also celebrates Emancipation Day. What other city does that? DC is one of the most liberal cities in the U.S. Gays and Lesbians can get married in DC. What other southern cities allow that?

DC has more in common with northern cities. From it's demographics, cost of living, educated population, downtown, transportation usage, rowhouses, density, GDP, pace of life, housing cost, etc.... and that's not a slight to any southern city. Whites born and bred in DC DO NOT have any semblance of a southern accent. Maury Povich was born and raised in DC. DC has a mid atlantic accent. Not quite northern with southern twang.

Martin Lawrence, Tariji P. Henson, Michael Ealy, Laz Alonzo, Mya, Tank, Ginuwine, Tommy Davidson all have a DC accent.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you had a conversation with your friends from D.C. about whether they identify with the south or the north? You guys sound like you would be an interesting bunch to hang with lol.
I have friends from here that have moved to D.C., and yes we have discussed this before several times.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I have friends from here that have moved to D.C., and yes we have discussed this before several times.
So are your friends from D.C. or Atlanta? You just said you have friends that moved to D.C. unless that was a typo. If they are from D.C. and not Atlanta, what did they say about what they identify with? Also, what was their reasoning behind their decisions?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
In fact, DC celebrated MLK day before it was a federal holiday. DC also celebrates Emancipation Day. What other city does that?
Atlanta.

Quote:
DC is one of the most liberal cities in the U.S. Gays and Lesbians can get married in DC. What other southern cities allow that?
We can't get married here (yet), but we certainly do vote them into office here, and I dare say gays are a much, much larger part of mainstream Atlanta then they are mainstream DMV. The size of our Pride celebration compared to yours is a perfect example of this.

Quote:
DC has more in common with northern cities. From it's demographics, cost of living, educated population, downtown, transportation usage, rowhouses, density, GDP, pace of life, housing cost, etc.... and that's not a slight to any southern city.
If it makes you feel better, keep repeating this over and over and over......

Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
Nairobi: DC is uniquely unique, just like everyone else but just in a different way!
That sounds like another way of saying that DC is the most unique, which it isn't.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC also celebrates Emancipation Day. What other city does that?
Texas has Juneteenth, which is celebrated amongst the state's numerous black communities.

In January, San Antonio also hosts what's commonly reported to be the largest MLK march in the nation

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Atlanta.

We can't get married here (yet), but we certainly do vote them into office here, and I daresay gays are a much, much larger part of mainstream Atlanta then they are mainstream DMV. The size of our Pride celebration compared to yours is a perfect example of this.

If it makes you feel better, keep repeating this over and over and over......

You do realize that people in D.C. don't really care about the whole north south thing right? We like our city just the way it is. Why do you care so much anyway? Whether D.C. is in the north or the south, how does that help Atlanta or the south overall?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM

118 posts, read 113,659 times
It was a joke Nairobi...that was my point, DC is unique, as basically everything city has features that make it unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City