Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You're hardly alone- its just a bad product. Dunkin Donuts did have a few stores in and around LA in the 1980's, but they all went under because every other local donut store was far better. There are places that advertise "1.99 Chinese Food and Donuts" which have better donuts. There is a place in Long Beach advertising "Donas" which has better donuts. Dunkin Donas blows.
I worked at the Peet's (from the Bay Area) in Coolidge Corner - you have no idea how many times our coffee was taken back because it was 'too dark'. Granted Peet's has a deep roast but it was just silly.

And I agree with the donuts, it is even worse than the coffee. Dunkin Donuts donuts = 7-11 donuts. There is totally a Chinese place across the street from my place here in LA that sells Chinese food and donuts, has a B health code grade, and yes, way better donuts than Dunkin.

Of course, there really is nothing like a giant iced coffee (half of it is cream and sugar of course) on a humid day. It is a treat like none other. I'm going to Boston in a few weeks for a visit and you know the first thing I am gonna get is a monster iced coffee (maybe even make it blueberry!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I worked at the Peet's (from the Bay Area) in Coolidge Corner - you have no idea how many times our coffee was taken back because it was 'too dark'. Granted Peet's has a deep roast but it was just silly.

And I agree with the donuts, it is even worse than the coffee. Dunkin Donuts donuts = 7-11 donuts. There is totally a Chinese place across the street from my place here in LA that sells Chinese food and donuts, has a B health code grade, and yes, way better donuts than Dunkin.

Of course, there really is nothing like a giant iced coffee (half of it is cream and sugar of course) on a humid day. It is a treat like none other. I'm going to Boston in a few weeks for a visit and you know the first thing I am gonna get is a monster iced coffee (maybe even make it blueberry!).
Yeah, comfort food doesn't need to be good. I used to love this local Mexican place that made this ground beef, potato and cheese burrito. In retrospect, it wasn't all that great, but I'd still go out of my way to get one if I were in the hood and the place was still around. Enjoy your trip, and the coffee!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I guess we will see what downtown D.C. is like once all this is finished in about a year or two from now. The total package and everything happening all together at the same time will truly be what dictates the feel. It will all be about the big picture. There are too many improvements in this area to name. It's going to be a completely new place. Mario Batali's Eataly entrance into downtown in the next year is going to be the topping on the cake just to name a few things.
Maybe, but let's wait that year or two and see. For now, I don't think downtown DC has nearly the variety of offering or the bustle of downtown San Francisco--and on weeknights, downtown DC seems pretty dead.

Also, there's a lot of construction happening or supposedly happening in SF. There's the Treasure Island development and more importantly the new Transbay development stuff (large skyscraper complexes and transportation hub). There's also the Central Subway expansion for the MUNI Metro happening. Of course, who knows if these will actually be delivered on schedule.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe, but let's wait that year or two and see. For now, I don't think downtown DC has nearly the variety of offering or the bustle of downtown San Francisco--and on weeknights, downtown DC seems pretty dead.

Also, there's a lot of construction happening or supposedly happening in SF. There's the Treasure Island development and more importantly the new Transbay development stuff (large skyscraper complexes and transportation hub). There's also the Central Subway expansion for the MUNI Metro happening. Of course, who knows if these will actually be delivered on schedule.
I think this statement is false. DT DC daytime vibrancy kills SF. DC swells during the day by 75%. 500,000 are in DT DC during the day. 900,000 people are on the metro. How much vibrancy is that? I agree that DT SF is more active at night, this is because it is so tiny compared to DT DC. For most of you people who have never been to DC, the city has vibrant areas in DT.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think this statement is false. DT DC daytime vibrancy kills SF.
No. Just, no.

San Francisco has more people on the streets, more traffic, more shoppers, more tourists, more conventioneers and more residents. Downtown D.C. simply does not kill Downtown San Francisco in any category, with the exception of square footage of office space.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
^^lol at DCs Finest. DC is not on the radar for activity & vibrancy compared to SF. Its not close.
1. Manhattan 2. SF 3. Chicago 4. Boston & Philly.....then?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^lol at DCs Finest. DC is not on the radar for activity & vibrancy compared to SF. Its not close.
1. Manhattan 2. SF 3. Chicago 4. Boston & Philly.....then?
Agreed. IMO not debatable, but they can keep trying.

Same source:

Population Profile within 2 mile radius of downtown.
SF 340,000
DC 140,000

Employment Profile within 2 miles radius of downtown.
SF 810,000
DC 300,000

For SF: http://www.america2050.org/pdf/HSR-i...-Southwest.pdf
For DC: http://www.america2050.org/pdf/HSR-i...-Northeast.pdf

Hows that for "absolutely kills!"

Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Downtown D.C. simply does not kill Downtown San Francisco in any category, with the exception of square footage of office space.
LOL...but when I'm wading my way through wall-to-wall people in Union Square, I can't help but think: You know what would make this place feel even more vibrant? If SF had blocks upon blocks of those mid-rise office building canyons

Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM

354 posts, read 785,135 times
looks like DC winning

Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
LOL...but when I'm wading my way through wall-to-wall people in Union Square, I can't help but think: You know what would make this place feel even more vibrant? If SF had blocks upon blocks of those mid-rise office building canyons
LOL!!! Yes, because the Financial District just looks so......small. Compared to D.C.'s much more "expansive" Downtown, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City