U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 87 44.62%
San Francisco 108 55.38%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM

24,570 posts, read 29,948,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is fine. Different strokes for different folks. I happen to love them.
I happen to think they are awesome as well, but I think we're approaching this from different perspectives.

Im actually talking about large scale projects(housing/office/commercial/entertainment), which Im sure DC has many of as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM

7,406 posts, read 4,368,668 times
Building permits for all four quarters in 2011 (buildings containing 5 or more units):

D.C. = 23 buildings totaling 4,285 units

Manhattan = 26 buildings totaling 2,531 units

San Francisco = 19 buildings totaling 1,736 units

This is my analysis of this information. Many of Manhattan's building permits went to town-home or two-three story apartments types of buildings. D.C. is only building major 200+ unit buildings with double the units under construction as Manhattan and three times San Francisco. San Francisco is also mainly seeing town-home or two-three story apartments types of buildings.

O yeah, and there was almost nothing going on in 2010 everywhere so that year is a mute point in the discussion. D.C. is actually going to have more units break ground in 2012 than 2011. We could actually see 8,000-9,000 units under construction in D.C. by Q1 2013 all in major high-rise developments.

Source: (Just click the state and then the city/county/borough etc., you don't have to touch the year or month. It will direct you straight to 2011.)
http://censtats.census.gov/bldg/bldgprmt.shtml

Other interesting building permit data if anyone is interested:
http://www.census.gov/construction/bps/

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM

Since Arlington is basically an extension of D.C., here is it's building permit data for Q1-Q4 2011:

Arlington Va = 11 buildings totaling 1,752 units (buildings containing 5 or more units)

As you can see, Arlington has more units under construction by itself than San Francisco proper. D.C. is booming and I wish people would use facts to argue instead of just throwing opinions around.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM

24,570 posts, read 29,948,526 times
Quote:
D.C. is booming and I wish people would use facts to argue instead of just throwing opinions around.
Who said DC is not booming? Its you who seems to be under the false illusion that nowhere else is booming as well.

Yeah, and those outdated links are nice, but when it comes to how many large projects are taking bids right NOW, here's a great source:

Projects currently taking bids from construction contractors, Feb 2012:
Manhattan 151
San Francisco, CA 82
Washington, DC 59

McGraw-Hill Construction

Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Who said DC is not booming? Its you who seems to be under the false illusion that nowhere else is booming as well.

Yeah, and those outdated links are nice, but when it comes to how many large projects are taking bids right NOW, here's a great source:

Projects currently taking bids from construction contractors, Feb 2012:
Manhattan 151
San Francisco, CA 82
Washington, DC 59

McGraw-Hill Construction
This is about commercial residential high-rise buildings. Why did you waste our time posting that link? This is not about play ground construction, water treatment plant construction, or airline terminal construction. And no, there isn't any place nationwide booming like D.C. right now in commercial residential high-rises. Your pathetic link even lists a strip mall to be built in San Fran Proper. Pathetic!!!!

Also, I was responding to "sbarn" who claimed I was delusional about D.C. having way more units under construction than Manhattan and San Francisco which I was right about. You guys don't really know much about this in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-24-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
San Francisco and the Bay Area are doing quite well on the unemployment front. Last I checked the technology industry was on fire!

Have you ever heard of South of Market (or SoMA)? Huge redevelopment area, with notable additions such as the new Giants Stadium and the Rincon Hill Condominium development (tallest residential tower in SF). Mission Bay is another one, turning former basically abandoned industrial areas into a biotech center and residential neighborhood.

Holy crap! Do you even realize how much stuff is being built and proposed in NYC? Multiple buildings over 1000+ ft, including the World Trade Center (including the 1,700 ft One World Trade U/C), Hudson Yards (1200 & 1000 ft towers), Manhattan West (two 1000 ft towers), 432 Park (1,450 ft tower), One 57 (1000 ft U/C), 225 West 57th Street (1000ft+ tower), MoMa Tower (1050ft) -- not to mention scores of other projects currently under construction or proposed (too many to list) under 1000 feet tall. New York makes DC look like a joke! (Off topic rant, sorry!)

Back to the subject at hand, there are several large projects underway in San Francisco -- including 535 Mission Street and the Transbay Terminal, not to mention scores of smaller projects going up all across the city (learn about them HERE).

That's the most liberal definition of a "high rise" I've ever heard. If a three story building has an elevator, is it by this definition, a high rise?
Building permits for all four quarters in 2011 (buildings containing 5 or more units):

This is my analysis of this information. Many of Manhattan's building permits went to town-home or two-three story apartments types of buildings. D.C. is only building major 200+ unit buildings with double the units under construction as Manhattan and three times San Francisco. San Francisco is also mainly seeing town-home or two-three story apartments types of buildings.

O yeah, and there was almost nothing going on in 2010 everywhere so that year is a mute point in the discussion. D.C. is actually going to have more units break ground in 2012 than 2011. We could actually see 8,000-9,000 units under construction in D.C. by Q1 2013 all in major high-rise developments.

Source: (Just click the state and then the city/county/borough etc., you don't have to touch the year or month. It will direct you straight to 2011.)
Censtats Database

Building Permits Survey

Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM

906 posts, read 636,218 times
Quote:

Censtats Database

Building Permits Survey
Manhattan is 20 sq miles and 70k people a Sq mile, there is barely an inch to grow, if you added queens or Brooklyn which are both adding a ton of "high rises" it would likely surpass dc.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 AM

139 posts, read 96,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
At present time, the Bay Area's economy is in a much better position than DC-Baltimore, which is probably on the decline since the govt gravy train has run out of steam...poor babies. I never envied DCs hollow, unsustainable economic growth to begin with, now I just plain feel sorry.

Yawn. Off the top of my head, I can think of $10 Billion worth of projects currently underway in the city of SF, you dont impress me much.

Due to its small town population densities, it stands to reason that DC would have room to build. Cute.
Come off it, mate. You and MDAllstar need to lay off with the jabs. You both are making each city look ridiculous with this back-and-forth.

San Francisco had a head start with its urban revitalisation due to the racial component and resulting riots in Washington. The city of Washington is nothing like it was when I first visited in 1991. Nothing.

I think to the casual observer, Washington's transformation is more evident due to its rapid changeover from ghetto to glam in just the past 20 or 30 years. San Francisco's transformation, while no less important, has basically improved an amazing city into something even greater.

To make the analogy clearer: San Francisco has gone from gold to platinum. DC went from bronze, to copper, to silver, to gold in two decades. And it's not quitting any time soon due to the foreign investments pouring in to offset any domestic government spending.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM

515 posts, read 439,089 times
Quote:
high-rise building - Indicating or being a multistoried building equipped with elevators
So a 3 story building - if it had an elevator - by definition is a high rise? Yet a 5 story walk up is not?

Quote:
Also, I was responding to "sbarn" who claimed I was delusional about D.C. having way more units under construction than Manhattan and San Francisco which I was right about. You guys don't really know much about this in the grand scheme of things.
No I was responding to the claim that the "amount of urban commercial construction has never been seen before at one time in this country." Last I checked commercial construction is not the same thing as building residential units. For the record, I think all the new construction in DC is great. I just don't think its leaps and bounds ahead of anything found in San Francisco, and certainly not New York.

Last edited by sbarn; 02-24-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM

15,374 posts, read 8,043,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
To make the analogy clearer: San Francisco has gone from gold to platinum. DC went from bronze, to copper, to silver, to gold in two decades. And it's not quitting any time soon due to the foreign investments pouring in to offset any domestic government spending.
That's a good way of putting it. DC is playing "catch up" with a few select cities right now, San Francisco included. That said, the city is developing at an unbelievable pace. There are cranes everywhere. It's quite a site to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City