Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
whoa, really?
Yes really. I'm not saying I would rather live in LA, Chicago, or SF over DC because I wouldnt for my own personal reasons but they are much superior cities than DC. BTW I like all 3, just would rather live in DC more than them IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
I also agree with that. NYC/Chi/SF/LA > everybody else.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Maybe too little too late, but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosemani View Post
Which city is the best in these categories?

-Restaurants: SF
-Grocery stores: Tie
-Farmers Markets: SF
-Coffee shops: SF
-Nightlife: DC
-Museums: DC
-Performing Arts: DC
-Real Estate: DC is less expensive
-Rental Housing: DC is less expensive
-Public Transit: DC
-Biking Infrastructure (bike lanes, trails, general bike friendliness): DC
-Parks within city limits: DC
-Nearby destinations less than an hour's drive away: Natural: SF Urban: DC
-Nearby destinations over an hour away: Natural: SF Urban: DC
-Airports: DC
-Where would you live?: I live in DC, but prefer SF

Looking forward to reading what you all have to say.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM

398 posts, read 751,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Yes really. I'm not saying I would rather live in LA, Chicago, or SF over DC because I wouldnt for my own personal reasons but they are much superior cities than DC. BTW I like all 3, just would rather live in DC more than them IMO
Exactly, I would rather live in DC than Chicago...but Chicago is a much more interesting city.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Education is the greatest asset anyone can possess.

high-rise building - Indicating or being a multistoried building equipped with elevators

high-rise - definition of high-rise by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
At present time, the Bay Area's economy is in a much better position than DC-Baltimore, which is probably on the decline since the govt gravy train has run out of steam...poor babies. I never envied DCs hollow, unsustainable economic growth to begin with, now I just plain feel sorry.

Yawn. Off the top of my head, I can think of $10 Billion worth of projects currently underway in the city of SF, you dont impress me much.

Due to its small town population densities, it stands to reason that DC would have room to build. Cute.
No, you don't have a better employment situation than us. You have a higher unemployment rate than us FACT!

LOL.....10 billion...that's chump change compared to what is happening in D.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Since it's obvious most of you have no idea what you are talking about and you come to city-data.com to post your opinions while not working in any profession actually connected to development in this country. Here is a little taste of what the world is excited about in relation to D.C.

B..O...O...M...I...N...G...!!!!!!!!!

Pipeline: New condos and apartments coming to DC metro area

By the way, I can count almost 20 projects on this list that have begun construction and have not even been updated. I can also count many more that break ground this year.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Wow, I missed this. Congratulations, this may be the most delusional comment I've ever read on this forum.
The amount of urban commercial high-rise redevelopment taking hold region wide is really unprecedented. Do you have any idea how many high-rises are under construction region wide? It's actually pretty ridiculous. I'm not talking about single family homes. I'm talking about commercial high-rises with cranes and everything. They are everywhere. Fairfax county has reported over 100 high-rise building proposals for Tyson's Corner alone. By the way, the nation of Kuwait is building City Center D.C. and Abu Dhabi is building the Marriot Marquis Convention Center Hotel. Yes, the world is helping to build D.C.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Since it's obvious most of you have no idea what you are talking about and you come to city-data.com to post your opinions while not working in any profession actually connected to development in this country. Here is a little taste of what the world is excited about in relation to D.C.

B..O...O...M...I...N...G...!!!!!!!!!

Pipeline: New condos and apartments coming to DC metro area

By the way, I can count almost 20 projects on this list that have begun construction and have not even been updated. I can also count many more that break ground this year.
Sorry, but while I celebrate urban infill, there is absolutely nothing iconic, nothing memorable or noteworthy in any of the projects going on in the District of Columbia if we were to base our judgement solely on your link.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry, but while I celebrate urban infill, there is absolutely nothing iconic, nothing memorable or noteworthy in any of the projects going on in the District of Columbia if we were to base our judgement solely on your link.
That is fine. Different strokes for different folks. I happen to love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City