U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,048,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Enjoy EP--hey are u the guy with the palm trees, if so what did u do with them?
I lived in Albuquerque for four or so years and yes, I was able to - like many folks around ABQ - grow some beautiful, cold-hardy desert-loving palm trees. Palms that I had quite a bit of success with were Trachycarpus fortunei, Washingtonia Filifera, and even Washingtonia Robusta. If planted in a good location, given TLC during the winter months, and exposed to much glorious ABQ sun, they can really thrive in Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM

150 posts, read 691,173 times
Albuquerque! That's it! LOL!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,143,654 times
Enjoy EP--just curious,what did you do with the palm trees and did they grow fast?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM

3,766 posts, read 8,236,173 times
Hmmnn. EnjoyEP, you have me thinking now. Does ABQ get many hard freezes during the winter? I've discovered that hibiscus are much hardier than people think (mulch heavily during the winter and they'll return in the spring in colder southern climates). Makes me wonder how they'll do in ABQ. Or bouganvilla.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Hmmnn. EnjoyEP, you have me thinking now. Does ABQ get many hard freezes during the winter?
A fair amount. Overnight hard freezes in winter. Very, very rare to almost never does it not break freezing in a daytime...generally highs will always exceed 40 degrees. But overnight hard freezes are pretty common in the winter (lows of the teens and 20s).

Albuquerque's gardening climate is a zone 7.

In more specific terms, in the "thermal zone" of west of Eubank Blvd. and east of the North Valley, north of the Sunport, it is likely a 7b. West side and other parts of the NE and SE are more solid 7. The foothills and the Valleys (near the river) much more towards 6b...these areas are not good for semi/subtropicals.

One thing people don't realize about the desert (from areas like Phoenix and Tucson to places like El Paso and Albuquerque) and even semi-arid places like Denver, is the huge temperature fluctuations between daytime and the evening. It is very common in the winter for Albuquerque to experience a 55 degree high temperature, but once that sun sets, for the temp to plumet to an overnight low in the 20s. The dry air, cloudless skies, high altitude, etc., all contribute to a wide temperature fluctuation / drop in the evenings.

Quote:
I've discovered that hibiscus are much hardier than people think (mulch heavily during the winter and they'll return in the spring in colder southern climates). Makes me wonder how they'll do in ABQ. Or bouganvilla.
I am not sure as I do not have first-hand experience, but I do believe people are successful at growing both in Albuquerque. The thing about ABQ is that while overnight freezes are common, warm sunny days are also common in winter, so you'll never get much of a long term freeze effect in the ground during the winter. You just have to protect 'em well for those overnight frozen spells.

There is a pretty cool online forum call Garden Web with a Southwest Gardening Forum subsection...if you just google it, you should get pretty good info. But I think if something is tolerant to zone 8, it is worth pushing in ABQ. If it is tolerant to zone 9, then it probably won't make it in ABQ.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Enjoy EP--just curious,what did you do with the palm trees
Not quite certain what you mean by this, but I will answer as best as possible, and if you are looking for more info, just let me know.

I first off bought as big of palms as my budget would allow...eg: 10, 15, 20 gallon palms are better than 1 gallon. However, I didn't have a budget for huge ones, so I just bought 'em as big as I could.

I then planted them as early in the warm/hot season as possible, but to where I knew there wouldn't be many more sub-45 or 50 degree nights. I found this usually was in early April. Looking for when days are commonly getting 70 - 80 degrees and nights aren't typically getting to lower than 50, or much lower. For their first year in ABQ soil, you want the roots to get deep and acclimated for as long as possible in the growing season, but you don't want to "shock" them with planting in late Feb / March, where many days can be warmish and mild but nights can still get plenty cold.

Plant them ideally in a west or south facing location, ideally against a west or south facing wall which can help radiate heat as well as provide wind / winter protection. Make sure where they are planted they will get as much sunlight as possible - they love sunlight year-round, including the hottest months.

When temps are going to start falling below 45 degrees or so at night regularly, wrap the trunk with burlap and blankets, and also tie the fronds together tight and straight up to protect the palms' most precious and important area for life - the middle spear area.

In winter, do not water them. In the warmer months, water fairly regularly - have them in a good drainage area though. Using palm-specific "food" regularly isn't a bad idea in the summer/spring/fall.

In April or so, when the cool has turned to the warm, cut off the dead fronds (the brownish, dried out ones) to stimulate growth of new green.

I hope this helps and is what you meant! Let me know though if you have any other questions.

Quote:
and did they grow fast?
Yep, pretty fast. Palm trees are fairly fast-growers, especially if they are exposed to the desert sunshine plentifully. Palm food helps in the warmer months to stimulate their growth. They won't grow in winter.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times
Someone asked about Presbyterian and heart care -- they are ranked in the top 100 hospitals in the country for cardiac care -- that's really good considering the size of Albuquerque etc. Presbyterian Heart Group is also a great set of doctors.

I don't know anything about The Heart Hospital but I haven't seen any negatives about it.

Denver is a cosmopolitan big metro with all the positives and negatives that go with that. Albuqerque is a medium size town with all the positives and negatives that go with that.

Housing is cheaper in Albuquerque generally than Denver.

Job opportunities are better in Denver.

Major airport (Denver) vs. regional airport (Albuquerque).

Slower pace of life in Albuquerque.

Both have relatively good weather and lots of natural beauty surrounding things and outdoor activities.

More nightlife in Denver.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM

3,766 posts, read 8,236,173 times
OK gang, ABQ won. Accepted a job offer today, will be here in January. Thoroughly enjoyed driving all over town and learning the city these past two days, on my own. Reminds me of the Phoenix I grew up in (a good thing) but with it's own nifty little quirks and touches. The Chamber of Commerce should hire all y'all!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM

1,419 posts, read 4,287,122 times
Quote:
OK gang, ABQ won. Accepted a job offer today, will be here in January. Thoroughly enjoyed driving all over town and learning the city these past two days, on my own. Reminds me of the Phoenix I grew up in (a good thing) but with it's own nifty little quirks and touches. The Chamber of Commerce should hire all y'all!
good to hear that you enjoyed our city. Hope the move goes smoothly and quickly!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM

13 posts, read 30,084 times
It was really great to find this thread! My wife and I are looking into the ABQ and DEN areas. From PHX, so we could always go back there (but why when there is so much more out there to try?) It will be tough leaving Charleston, SC, a city so full of history that you can't go anywhere without running into something significant. Thanks for the hospital info as well since I am a physician assistant student who graduates in August and needs to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or