U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 PM

908 posts, read 2,495,673 times

Advertisements

First, a belated welcome Yukon. I enjoyed watching your posts build to the big move! Second, getting to something from your original post, I think Albuquerque's job market is amazingly diverse given the Labs and Kirtland being on the hill. This is off the top of my head, but these are some of the new and relatively new businesses I thought of when reading your original post:

1. Lion's Gate Studios ( I believe in Mesa Del Sol )

2. Eclipse Aviation (survived a underperforming engine swap-out mid certification to reign the only Very Light Jet standing. Last I heard deposits were over two THOUSAND airframes deep. Bye bye Adams aircraft (major competitor) in....Denver.)

3. Tesla motors (builds a sweet little electric roadster and intends to build an electric sedan called the Whitestar project.)

4. TempurPedic (just built a million square foot factory on the west side.)

5. Can't think of the name, but there's a new solar cell factory going in at Mesa Del Sol.

6. Fidelity Investments is opening shop here. Ad in the past Sunday Journal already hunting for people.

7. Verizon (new call center coming in)

8. Kirtland... I know one of your original points was the worry of too much federal work, but if you've got to have it, it may as well be stable. Kirtland AFB came out of the last round of base closures with...new jobs and missions. As other bases were shutting down, we picked up a training squadron for the OV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor.

So: film, aviation, financial, eco-power, telecommunications, automotive and super mattresses. And not just also-rans...top contenders or technology leaders in their respective fields. That's diversified!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,250,024 times
Thanks ziaAirmac! One of the reasons I finally chose ABQ was the diversity you wrote about. I was afraid that too many of the job opportunties in PHX were related to the housing market, and felt when the real estate imploded, so would many of the jobs there. Denver was really nice, but too dark and felt crowded to me (think it's the geography, not the people). And it wasn't as sunny. Gotta have sunshine!

I work for a small CPA firm and the variety of business industries/fields our clients are in is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or