U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 PM

5,396 posts, read 3,755,820 times
Worcester Massachusetts is littered with ponds and lakes, including lake Quinasimbug
Syracuse has a lake just outside dt and it's Pretty nice
Springfield, MA has a very nice lake right In Metro Center

In general mid- sized cities in the East would probably win this if you Dont see Seattle as a winner because the west is dryer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,822,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
But I'm talking about a lake that's completely within the city, not a lakefront city.

The lake completely within Seattle is Lake Union.
Is it a lake or an inlet? It looks like it connects with the sea.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM

This is one category where Minneapolis should be among the most votes, yet again though, people underestimate the city!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM

322 posts, read 514,623 times
Orlando has dozens of lakes within city limits. One of the neat things you don't realize about that city because it all gets overshadowed by that hellhole south of town. It's actually quite scenic.

Lake Eola downtown:

Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,155,993 times
Minneapolis and/or St. Paul probably have the most urban lakes. Whether they also have the best or not, I'm not sure about.

Does bigger mean better, here? I don't think it does, but that would work against Minneapolis.

Proximity to downtown? We don't have any large lakes within walking distance of downtown (the pond in Loring does not count), so that would work against us, too.

Skyline views, MSP probably has down.

Things to do on the lake, MSP would be very competitive (things like Como Zoo and Conservatory, the Lake Harriet Bandshell, Theo Wirth Golf Course, etc.). Plus, you can boat, fish, ice-fish, snowshoe, cross country ski, swim, waterski, etc. on our lakes, so there are activities no matter what the season.

MSP probably has a bigger "lake culture" than any other big city, but whether or not we have the be-all, end-all best urban lake is up for debate....

Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Minneapolis and/or St. Paul probably have the most urban lakes. Whether they also have the best or not, I'm not sure about.

Does bigger mean better, here? I don't think it does, but that would work against Minneapolis.

Proximity to downtown? We don't have any large lakes within walking distance of downtown (the pond in Loring does not count), so that would work against us, too.

Skyline views, MSP probably has down.

Things to do on the lake, MSP would be very competitive (things like Como Zoo and Conservatory, the Lake Harriet Bandshell, Theo Wirth Golf Course, etc.). Plus, you can boat, fish, ice-fish, snowshoe, cross country ski, swim, waterski, etc. on our lakes, so there are activities no matter what the season.

MSP probably has a bigger "lake culture" than any other big city, but whether or not we have the be-all, end-all best urban lake is up for debate....
Best "Lake Parks", maybe. They're over a century old and stand the test of time (never trendy or dull).

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM

9,830 posts, read 6,929,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Is it a lake or an inlet? It looks like it connects with the sea.
It's a natural freshwater lake that was connected to Puget Sound when a boat canal and locks was built in the 20th Century--along with being connected to Lake Washington.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,124,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
While there are some beautiful lakes in the Twin Cities, this is one I think Orlando runs away with. There are lakes everywhere throughout the metro.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM

883 posts, read 697,744 times
Those aren't lakes in Orlando, they're gator infested swamps

Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
While there are some beautiful lakes in the Twin Cities, this is one I think Orlando runs away with. There are lakes everywhere throughout the metro.
The one downtown is smaller, it looks...Besides, the benefits of the Chain of Lakes is that there are beautiful pathways and parkways that were built in the 1800's that give it a historic feel, something that Orlando probably doesn't emulate as well. Give Minneapolis credit where credit is due, and I'll learn more about Southern cities with an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City