U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM

1,108 posts, read 768,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Lol. The lake culture in Minneapolis is as large as anywhere in the country. Everyone might not live on or use the lakes in the cities (which a lot of the population does anyway) but a large portion of the population has cabins on some of the 10,000 or so lakes spread around the state.
But this thread is about in-city lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM

11,133 posts, read 6,045,901 times
Green Lake Seattle

Lake Union Seattle

Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,464,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
definitely should have Seattle on the list, and perhaps Orlando, maybe...they feel more like impounded drainage.....

Austin for sure, doesnt matter to me if its damned. It feels very natural and integrated into the urban environment.
Oh, to me that lake in Austin felt very fake and manufactured. Different perspectives -- same lake.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Lol. The lake culture in Minneapolis is as large as anywhere in the country. Everyone might not live on or use the lakes in the cities (which a lot of the population does anyway) but a large portion of the population has cabins on some of the 10,000 or so lakes spread around the state.
Yeah, I didn't understand what that poster meant by "Minneapolis is debatable"....but I took it as that Minneapolis is a debatable top contender, not that it was a debatable contender to be on this list, PERIOD!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
But this thread is about in-city lakes.
Minneapolis has something like 20 in-city lakes. It's absolutely a contender and frankly probably #1. Seattle and Orlando are DEFINITE contenders though, and I had no idea not only how beautiful Lake Eola is in Orlando, but also that it appears to be surrounded with nice trails and pathways and used as an urban park, like The Chain of Lakes are in Minneapolis.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM

906 posts, read 536,679 times
Default Minneapolis and St. Paul should win. Then Orlando.

Ok, i dont know why everybody would even consider Minneapolis or St. Paul to have "some" lake culture or not that many lakes. Minneapolis. The name (which most people know) is mixed Dakota and Greek. Minne- is dakota for water, and -polis is Greek for city, and the a.... just makes it sound cooler . But Minneapolis has over 20 lakes, St. Paul has almost the same. Minneapolis' lakes are large, surrounded by parks, and have beaches (minnesota-style), apartments, hotels, trails, sail boats in the summer, woods, docks, and they all have good views of downtown. In the winter, people ice skate and ice fish on the city's lakes. Minneapolis holds the US pond hockey championships on one of its lakes in the winter. Besides, the thing that kills the "some" lake culture comments about Minneapolis is the Minneapolis Aquatennial. AQUAtennial. The whole point of it is to celebrate Minneapolis' lake/water culture. It features milk carton boat races and competitions, sand castle competitions, parades, water ski shows, beach volleyball competitions, a tennis invitational, lots of food, a triathlon, and last of all, the Target Fireworks, one of the biggest firework displays in the US. All because of lakes. If that isnt lake culture, i don't know what is. And what about St. Paul? It has lake phalen, which hosts the St. Paul triathlon, other things similar to Minneapolis, and St. Paul's big thing is the Winter Carnival, a frozen version of the Aquatennial. It has its own legend, royalty, The Grand Parade, The Torchlight Parade, dogsled races, ice sculpture competitions, a city wide medallion hunt (trust me, this sounds childish, but the winnings are $10,000 for finding it, along with a spot in the final paradeparade. The clues are in th e St. Paul Pioneer Press. Finally, the main part, the Ice Castle. It is a giant Castle of ice built in the center of the city, and all the massive blocks of ice are cut out of the city's lakes. So i think Minneapolis wins, St. Paul comes second, and Orlando should come third.

Minneapolis lakes:

Lake Harriet

Lake Calhoun

Lake of the Isles

The Minneapolis Aquatennial:

Kemps Boat Races and Competition:

Sand Castle Competition:

Target Fireworks:

The st paul winter carnival:

Ice Castle 2004:

Ice Casle 1887:

Royalty:

Ice sculptures:

This is getting long, i think youve gotten my point.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

906 posts, read 536,679 times
And for the Aquatennial Water ski show picture, go here
Co-op Night at the Twin Cities River Rats! | Eastside Food Cooperative

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM

1,420 posts, read 5,018,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I think Seattle should be up there. Any other thoughts?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/311108_10150324052080073_46835910072_8275120_28734 0845_n.jpg (broken link)
What about Phoenix, Arizona??

No seriously, Milwaukee and Cleveland are good contenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City