Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM

13,685 posts, read 15,586,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
If DC can't attract fans, maybe it shouldn't have been awarded a team. At least it provides an option for Phillies fans who can't get into our sold out park.
We are DC, we are awarded everything. And by the way, attendance looks pretty good to me. Maybe you should check the attendance this year. Win and they will come. Win for a consistent basis and they will come whether you win or lose. Never win in your history and nobody will come which goes for college and pro's and every single sport known to man. I played a sport in the SEC when I was in college so I know way more about passion from fans than you will probably ever know. Pro fans can't touch SEC college fans for passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We are DC, we are awarded everything. And by the way, attendance looks pretty good to me. Maybe you should check the attendance this year. Win and they will come. Win for a consistent basis and they will come whether you win or lose. Never win in your history and nobody will come which goes for college and pro's and every single sport known to man. I played a sport in the SEC so I know way more about passion from fans than you will probably ever know.

So far this year (avg per game attendance this year)

DC 23,838 (expect this will go up this weekend) 57% capacity
Philly 45,409 104% capacity

2012 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
Win and they will come.
As I said earlier: fair weather fans.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
So you are trying to tell me that people from Philadelphia travel to Jersey Garden's Mall in Elizabeth NJ after work for a little shopping from day to day. LOL....this is getting ridiculous.....

Nobody is talking about exurb intermingling. I'm talking about real single region core city intermingling. NYC and Philly don't fit the bill. People in Baltimore can travel to Tyson's Corner for upscale shopping after work when ever they want to. How many people from New York City travel to King of Prussia for shopping after work sometimes. I'm sure this has been a joke right? I'm sure you were playing this whole time so it's all fun.

Umm people from Jersey travel to KOP, people from PA to short hills or Bridgewater commons. people buy cars in flemingot or langhorne in both directions, why wouldnt they, they are only a few miles from anotjher, in real life people dont care nor are detered by MSA lines that smack against one another

more common would Jersey folks to Oxford Valley Mall or PA and NJ folks in the Philly MSA to PMC or Quaker Bridge - yes absolutely

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Umm people from Jersey travel to KOP, people from PA to short hills or Bridgewater commons. people buy cars in flemingot or langhorne in both directions, why wouldnt they, they are only a few miles from anotjher, in real life people dont care nor are detered by MSA lines that smack against one another

more common would Jersey folks to Oxford Valley Mall or PA and NJ folks in the Philly MSA to PMC or Quaker Bridge - yes absolutely
So people in New York City or Hoboken or White Plains for that matter travel to KOP? See counting people in NJ 45 minutes to an hour from NYC that go to KOP is not what we are talking about. You seem to be forgetting that the NYC MSA sprawls. There are people on the tip of the LA MSA that travel north and south to other MSA's as well. In our region DC/Bmore, people from the ******PRINCIPAL CITIES***** travel into each other's MSA. Stop trying to compare your region to us. It's not going to work.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So far this year (avg per game attendance this year)

DC 23,838 (expect this will go up this weekend) 57% capacity
Philly 45,409 104% capacity

2012 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN
LOL...stop trying to act like success has not affected the Phillies attendance over the years:

Funny how easy you all forget those years of attendance flux from 38,000 average attendance down to 18,000 average attendance in Veterans Stadium. Wake Up!!!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As I said earlier: fair weather fans.
Yes, I know Philly fans are fair weather. They only come when you are winning. You see, google is your friend!

Philadelphia Phillies Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

By the way, Alabama in the SEC has sold out their stadium for the last four decades every game. That includes when they sucked and were on probation for many years. Like I said, you all don't know what passion is!

Furthermore, DC is redskin territory and we are the second highest grossing franchise in the NFL. We have three super-bowls too. How many do the Eagles have? You are a second rate city and you have a second rate team!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
This thread is so off topic by now that it's not even recognizable.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
Yes, I know Philly fans are fair weather.
LOL. Philly sports fans have been accused of many things. Only a random psoter on CD would label them "fair weather," however.

Post all the silliness you want. For the upcoming series, local Nat officials tried to limit sales of tickets to folks with DMV credit card addresses to avoid another poor show of local fan support. They even had to enlist the support of high rollers to prevent Philly fans from securing even the premier seats (Capital Buzz: Lexus dealers join in ‘Take Back the Park’ - The Washington Post). How embarrassing! Rather than gripe over nothing, DC should be happy Phillies fans help sell out the stadium now and then. This occasional boost in attendance might keep the District from losing its second baseball franchise. Don't blow this one. It took the city 45 years to get a 2nd shot at the big leagues.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-03-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
So people in New York City or Hoboken or White Plains for that matter travel to KOP? See counting people in NJ 45 minutes to an hour from NYC that go to KOP is not what we are talking about. You seem to be forgetting that the NYC MSA sprawls. There are people on the tip of the LA MSA that travel north and south to other MSA's as well. In our region DC/Bmore, people from the ******PRINCIPAL CITIES***** travel into each other's MSA. Stop trying to compare your region to us. It's not going to work.
As usual you missed the point and even where I said they are different on the whole but the space of the connection is similar.

People in Reston are not going to go to Balt to shop when they go to Tysons etc. You are pretty dense

You brought up development and commuters and PT etc and cross over shopping etc I showed examples of the volumes that do and have said repeatadly that the closer to the cities at the ends the iunterplay becomes less but the space in the middle is basically a similar dynamic and the people that flow between them is the same in absolutes; not a percentage of the hole

you are not going to get it; obviously though do you have a lot of experience in this area, just curious as you act as if you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City