Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
He said the SF MSA plus the SJ MSA was smaller in population than DFW, which is technically true.

Not that its a good measure of things, but that was my only point.
who cares if it is true. he made it in relation to the post I made about the Bay. He can add up different MSA's in the BAY all he likes, the fact remains DMA lists DFW bigger than the Bay which it isn't.

Read, and stop spending time on irrelevant side issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Quite frankly Radio Markets tend to be a misleading barometer. Within Philadelphias TV Market there are 9 seperate radio submarkets.

Philadelphia
Reading
Allentown
Wimington
Trenton
Vineland
Atlantic City
Dover
Lancaster

I believe we should stick with TV Markets for aguments sake.
Lancaster is not in Philadelphia's TV market.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
who cares if it is true. he made it in relation to the post I made about the Bay. He can add up different MSA's in the BAY all he likes, the fact remains DMA lists DFW bigger than the Bay which it isn't.

Read, and stop spending time on irrelevant side issues.
Relax, this is a not an issue worth getting worked up about.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
That seems highly inaccurate.

TV Market Maps

That can't be just 7 million people.
The numbers aren't people, they are households.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The numbers aren't people, they are households.
and thus is the worst measure of population out there.

Highly hispanic areas such as those in the SW and Texas usually are younger areas with large families, while areas such as Pittsburgh have older populations with more single family homes. That is why Pittsburgh ends up with a Billion homes

Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
and thus is the worst measure of population out there.

Highly hispanic areas such as those in the SW and Texas usually are younger areas with large families, while areas such as Pittsburgh have older populations with more single family homes. That is why Pittsburgh ends up with a Billion homes
no everyone in Pittsburgh owns 700 homes duh.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
From Moyock, NC it is faster to drive to Hartford, CT than it is to Hothouse, NC (western tip of NC). I'm sure that varies with traffic, though!

It's also faster to drive from Hothouse to New Orleans or St. Louis than to Moyock.

You can also drive from Chincoteague, VA to Portland, ME in the same amount of time it takes to drive to Cumberland Gap, VA.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
From Moyock, NC it is faster to drive to Hartford, CT than it is to Hothouse, NC (western tip of NC). I'm sure that varies with traffic, though!

It's also faster to drive from Hothouse to New Orleans or St. Louis than to Moyock.

You can also drive from Chincoteague, VA to Portland, ME in the same amount of time it takes to drive to Cumberland Gap, VA.
Sorry, you guys. For some reason I posted this in the wrong thread!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
What?

DMAs are not intended to be a guide of a city's size and they are actually horrible indications of size.

Their criteria is totally different.
I used to have a DMA map next to me at work when I purchased TV (and a radio Arbitron one as well).

Some cities that are distant from anything of size (but still would be small metros) are rolled into the DMA of the bigger city - Salt Lake City is essentially all of Utah. Baltimore is really no bigger than its metro as it neighbors other metros of varying sizes.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
no everyone in Pittsburgh owns 700 homes duh.
Either that or each TV in Pittsburgh is considered a Household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City