Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,457,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I want to comment on the New Orleans part really bad but I won't.
Why not? I'd love to be proven wrong. Heck, most of the country still thinks Pittsburgh is a "dying steel town" and haven't been here in the past couple of years to see how much we've been transforming ourselves. If I'm wrong in my assumption that New Orleans has a high crime rate, then prove me wrong. I've admittedly never been there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM

16,506 posts, read 26,209,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. Each and every one of these townships, boroughs, and cities in Allegheny County typically has their own board of supervisors, council members, mayors, police departments, fire departments, tax collectors, etc. It leads to a very inefficient duplication of services. Basically in TX you have large swaths of unincorporated land that simply fall under the county's jurisdiction. That's not the case in PA where every bit of land is governed on a more local level somehow.
That sounds horrible, I'm not from Texas but that is how it is in Louisiana. I would like that in Louisiana but not townships and boroughs, that is just crazy to me.
Quote:
Why not? I'd love to be proven wrong. Heck, most of the country still thinks Pittsburgh is a "dying steel town" and haven't been here in the past couple of years to see how much we've been transforming ourselves. If I'm wrong in my assumption that New Orleans has a high crime rate, then prove me wrong. I've admittedly never been there before.
New Orleans was 32nd in violent crime ratings out of cities over 250,000 in 2010.
Crime in New Orleans is horrible but crime happens everywhere, as long as you don't break any laws you would just as fine as you would in another city.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM

144 posts, read 222,664 times
Quote:
Well, CoalCityTrash (love the screenname, by the way!) I grew up just north of you guys in Pittston, and I currently live in Pittsburgh. I really love it here. I've visited Cincinnati before, and I love it there, too, albeit that city noticeably has more of a conservative tilt to it than Pittsburgh. I haven't been to Cleveland yet, but I've heard great things. New Orleans has a violent crime rate that is just way too high for me to even want to visit, let alone consider relocating there. I don't know enough about Houston to really offer an opinion.

What I like about Pittsburgh is that we're a major U.S. city that feels like a patchwork of small towns. The city itself has about 90 neighborhoods, if I'm not mistaken, and Allegheny County has well over 100 different municipalities. While that may be inefficient from a purely economic standpoint in the duplication of services it helps to really create more of a "cozy" atmosphere here. I live very comfortably here on one job that pays $10/hr. and another job in which I namely earn tips (no, it's not prostitution!)

Pittsburgh seems to most closely align with what you seek in your last reply.
That sounds a lot like W-B. The city only encompasses 10 square miles, but it's divided into about 14 districts & you identify with your district, like you wouldn't just say "I'm from Wilkes-Barre". You'd say "I'm from North End, Parsons, Irish Town...etc".

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM

144 posts, read 222,664 times
Quote:
That sounds horrible, I'm not from Texas but that is how it is in Louisiana. I would like that in Louisiana but not townships and boroughs, that is just crazy to me.

New Orleans was 32nd in violent crime ratings out of cities over 250,000 in 2010.
Crime in New Orleans is horrible but crime happens everywhere, as long as you don't break any laws you would just as fine as you would in another city.
Well, crime wouldn't be much of a culture shock. In terms of per-capita crimes, Wilkes-Barre leads the entire nation in malice murder, violent assault, armed robbery, armed rape, & intravenous drug use, but that's probably largely due to the fact that we have about 650,000 people in a space meant to accommodate only about 200,000.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Well, crime wouldn't be much of a culture shock. In terms of per-capita crimes, Wilkes-Barre leads the entire nation in malice murder, violent assault, armed robbery, armed rape, & intravenous drug use, but that's probably largely due to the fact that we have about 650,000 people in a space meant to accommodate only about 200,000.
That was the main reason you said you would never even visit New Orleans but now it's not a culture shock? I'm lost in that logic.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM

37,047 posts, read 39,138,311 times
Quote:
That was the main reason you said you would never even visit New Orleans but now it's not a culture shock? I'm lost in that logic.
That's because it was a separate person who said that.

Hopefully that clears things up.

New Orleans would be an interesting place to try the sort of music the OP is going for.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's because it was a separate person who said that.

Hopefully that clears things up.

New Orleans would be an interesting place to try the sort of music the OP is going for.
Oh they're names are similar at a glance.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,959,571 times
You don't want to be in Houston for sure. The rock scene here is TERRIBLE. This is a city for Mexican, country, and ghetto music mainly. If you like that it's all good. But for us rock people, the scene is amazingly small for a large city. There are places, but they are few and far between. There may be a killer show with only about 20 people there on a given night.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
You don't want to be in Houston for sure. The rock scene here is TERRIBLE. This is a city for Mexican, country, and ghetto music mainly. If you like that it's all good. But for us rock people, the scene is amazingly small for a large city. There are places, but they are few and far between. There may be a killer show with only about 20 people there on a given night.
Ghetto music huh. Emo music. I can be stereotypical too.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,959,571 times
Quote:
Ghetto music huh. Emo music. I can be stereotypical too.
I don't think there is much emo music in Houston. I know Blue October is from here. Are you saying there isn't a lot of ghetto music in Houston? I thought Houston was know for its ghetto music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City