Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sunset Strip or South Beach
The Sunset Strip 26 35.14%
South Beach 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I dunno, just like you say about East Coast weather; we grew up with it like that, we are used to it and even like it the way it is.

I'm from further up the coast near Pismo. The water is even colder up there. Doesn't stop the beaches from being absolutely crushed with people come Memorial Day.
Not sure what you are trying to prove. There are also people who swim in close to freezing waters in the dead of winter in Russia and Finland.

Point is that Miami is the only place in the US where you can have a tropical beach vacation -- any time of the year -- in a cosmopolitan urban setting. That's what makes it unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Not sure what you are trying to prove. There are also people who swim in close to freezing waters in the dead of winter in Russia and Finland.

Point is that Miami is the only place in the US where you can have a tropical beach vacation -- any time of the year -- in a cosmopolitan urban setting. That's what makes it unique.
I agree with that, and maybe you were getting all hyperbolic to offset Ray... but if you think that the cold water is even a slight deterrent to beach goers, you have got it all wrong.

NOTE: Actually probably the next best place other than other Florida cities is San Diego. I do believe that they have much warmer water than in LA (strange right?) and their downtown is built right on the water, unlike LA. I wouldn't say that it is year-round warm, but moreso than LA.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
I think the East Coasters complaining about cold water in the Pacific is generally equivalent to West Coasters complaining about the cold weather on the East Coast.
Actually its far, far more pathetic. How many hours does the average person on the east coast spend in the water vs. how many they spend OUT of the water in the winter and summer months?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
If you surf or enjoy any activity that requires, you know, waves, Miami's Beaches are useless year-round.
And about 0.009 percent of the American population surfs. Most people are going to the beach to relax and maybe toss around some chicks in the ocean.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
I agree with that, and maybe you were getting all hyperbolic to offset Ray... but if you think that the cold water is even a slight deterrent to beach goers, you have got it all wrong.

No I was not getting hyperbolic. There is no comparison to be made between LA's beaches and Miami's. None at all. The numbers speak for themselves. I am not really gonna waste my time trying to convince desperate LA boosters like Ray and nslander that 68 degress is too cold for an average person to have an enjoyable experience in the water. And that's in August!

Now if you are a surfer that's a different story, but that's a tiny segment of the population.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And about 0.009 percent of the American population surfs. Most people are going to the beach to relax and maybe toss around some chicks in the ocean.
Waves really would get in the way of chick-tossing, probably cause some injuries

I guess that is what we use our lakes are for?

This is actually something I noticed when I was in Boston... there is more of a party-on-the-lake attitude in the west (at least compared to New England.)

I remember the first time someone mentioned taking their boat out. I though that meant going out for some wake boarding, docking up and partying... He actually was referring to sailing.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
No I was not getting hyperbolic. There is no comparison to be made between LA's beaches and Miami's. None at all. The numbers speak for themselves. I am not really gonna waste my time trying to convince desperate LA boosters like Ray and nslander that 68 degress is too cold for an average person to have an enjoyable experience in the water. And that's in August!

Now if you are a surfer that's a different story, but that's a tiny segment of the population.
Whatever you want to believe... Just know it is not true.

As a side note, I have had friends and family from all over the country come to the beach with me. Yeah at first the cold is a bit of shock, but you quickly adjust to the temperature. And honestly 68 degrees is not that cold.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
This is actually something I noticed when I was in Boston... there is more of a party-on-the-lake attitude in the west (at least compared to New England.)
That's New England. A lot of people go to the Vineyard for the summer, but that's a really "grown" vacation. I'd expect to do that with a wife, two kids, and $475,000 in various offshore accounts.

Miami is obviously a different story. The fact that the air and water temperature is warm pretty much all the time gives South Beach an electricity and sexiness you can't find anywhere else in the country.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What is it...out the door at 2AM in CA? Miami Beach clubs stop serving at 5AM. Miami proper goes to 7AM.
This reason alone gives South Beach my vote

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:

Its not a small percentage here. In fact, at some point in the life of a person growing up in coastal SoCal, EVERYBODY surfs. Those who become addicted never stop.

Again- exactly how many dips in the ocean does it take to effectively offset the South Florida summer humidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City