Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
In 50 years Houston MSA will be more than twice the size of Philly MSA. It's growing at 26% vs 4.9% over the last decade. The boom has just begin and I don't see the world demand for energy getting any less. Houston's big advantage is that there's alot of infilling so these brand new structures, freeways, light rail should last over a century.
Because you continue to annex land. Good for you. We had more people in a smaller area than you have ever had yet. Even though we lost so many of them, we still have more people than you in a smaller area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
Boston CSA, D.C/Baltimore, & Bay Area are very close for 4th. Houston & Dallas are tie for 5th but will jump to 4th within 15 years. Philly and Atlanta are tie for 6th. Seattle should come in 7th.
The Bay Area isn't a city. It's also not even remotely fourth as far as metros go and the only important part of it is San Francisco. Baltimore is not part of DC, at all. It was an important city before DC even existed. Houston and Dallas are definitely not in the top five, and are definitely not above Philadelphia and Atlanta. You're also excluding Miami, which is a much more important city than either Dallas or Houston are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Houston is definitely growing and at a rate with which the infrastructure cannot keep up. Yikes. If it could just slow down a bit. I saw the construction on the 10 Fwy west of 610 and it was mind-boggling.

Houston will always be America's energy capital, it's the largest city in the 2nd most populous state in the Union, it has one of the major ports on the Gulf (along with N.O.), and it is in the Sunbelt. The Rust Belt will try to hang on, but people don't like living in those harsh conditions for 3 to 4 months out of the year. Talk to most people in humid ATL, and the transplants may be willing to go back to the Northeast or the Middle Atlantic, but they are mostly unwilling to return to the interior, especially its northern tier.
Not sure what you're talking about but let's get into a few things for starters: Wolf's Head, Pennzoil, to start with two. Do you know where those two companies are actually from? PA. Do you know what was the energy capital before anybody gave a damn about Houston? PA. Do you know where the first pipelines and commercial oil wells in the US were? PA. Do you know where Sunoco, Gulf, and others were/are from? PA.

The Sunbelt is a fad and if it weren't for immigrants, you'd lose half your population within two decades from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
To the outside observer, it seems unlikely that Houston could keep up that sort of insane growth for 50 years.

Even the biggest boom cities, LA and NY did not grow at that rate for a sustained period of 50 years.
New York isn't a boom city. It's been steadily growing with fits of major gains since the 18th Century.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Not sure what you're talking about but let's get into a few things for starters: Wolf's Head, Pennzoil, to start with two. Do you know where those two companies are actually from? PA. Do you know what was the energy capital before anybody gave a damn about Houston? PA. Do you know where the first pipelines and commercial oil wells in the US were? PA. Do you know where Sunoco, Gulf, and others were/are from? PA.

The Sunbelt is a fad and if it weren't for immigrants, you'd lose half your population within two decades from now.
We are talking metro areas, obviously.

I'll give you that Philadelphia is squarely in the 6-10 group, as is Boston. I'll even give you that Philadelphia is nice, though its suburbs are hardly housing bargains, though one from the outside might think so. I'll even give you that Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, ranking high on QOL studies, but its metro population over the decades has been stagnant. And this is despite the city's success in attracting new businesses and research ventures to the area. The middle of PA could almost be considered part of the rust belt. Scenic, yes, but not much is happening there.

The Sunbelt is hardly a fad. The population "center of gravity" as seen in the almanac, or anywhere else, moves west and south with every decade. One in four new immigrants indicates California as their destination. I'm sure that, as people settle in Houston, that's where their incoming relatives from Mexico, China and Vietnam will also settle...at least initially. There's no turning back on that dynamic.

I'm still NY-LA-Chi-DC (4)-SF (5) -and now HOU (6). BOS-PHL-SEA-ATL are right behind these six, though I don't know in what order. That makes 10.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

118 posts, read 210,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Houston will not age well my friend.It's already a sprawling mess with little to no natural beauty to preserve its integrity. Todays boomtown could very well be next centuries industrial wasteland.

Always remember.Here in the USA affluence is mobile but poor people generally are left behind. As cities like Houston age deteriorate and become costlier to maintain, there will be a new regional "OZ" where the better half gathers.

As a point of reference you can research the rise and fall and in some instances- rise again- of the East Coast cities including national juggernauts like NYC,Phil,DC.
Cities will be built with what the population demands. From the 50's to 90's the trend was to move outward at which time Houston more than tripple it's size and sprawled outward. Same thing happen with rust belt cities. People left the inner city for places like Jersey or Delaware right outside of Philly. Revitalization started in the Mid 90's and Houston is developing fast inside the inner loop. The great benefit is that Houston is booming now during this new trend.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM

422 posts, read 815,932 times
No Dallas?

Quote:
We are talking metro areas, obviously.

I'll give you that Philadelphia is squarely in the 6-10 group, as is Boston. I'll even give you that Philadelphia is nice, though its suburbs are hardly housing bargains, though one from the outside might think so. I'll even give you that Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, ranking high on QOL studies, but its metro population over the decades has been stagnant. And this is despite the city's success in attracting new businesses and research ventures to the area. The middle of PA could almost be considered part of the rust belt. Scenic, yes, but not much is happening there.

The Sunbelt is hardly a fad. The population "center of gravity" as seen in the almanac, or anywhere else, moves west and south with every decade. One in four new immigrants indicates California as their destination. I'm sure that, as people settle in Houston, that's where their incoming relatives from Mexico, China and Vietnam will also settle...at least initially. There's no turning back on that dynamic.

I'm still NY-LA-Chi-DC (4)-SF (5) -and now HOU (6). BOS-PHL-SEA-ATL are right behind these six, though I don't know in what order. That makes 10.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Because you continue to annex land. Good for you. We had more people in a smaller area than you have ever had yet. Even though we lost so many of them, we still have more people than you in a smaller area.

The Bay Area isn't a city. It's also not even remotely fourth as far as metros go and the only important part of it is San Francisco. Baltimore is not part of DC, at all. It was an important city before DC even existed. Houston and Dallas are definitely not in the top five, and are definitely not above Philadelphia and Atlanta. You're also excluding Miami, which is a much more important city than either Dallas or Houston are.

New York isn't a boom city. It's been steadily growing with fits of major gains since the 18th Century.
another Texas basher.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Couldn'tthinkofaclevername, tell me this, how does an MSA annex land? :

where do you come up with those posts of yours? They are all whacky and uninformed

Quote:
To the outside observer, it seems unlikely that Houston could keep up that sort of insane growth for 50 years.

Even the biggest boom cities, LA and NY did not grow at that rate for a sustained period of 50 years.
A young population/ High Birth rate is the reason for half Houston's population increase. I doubt it will slow much in less than 30 years.

the migration rates are anybody's guess.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM

118 posts, read 210,860 times
Quote:

50 years ago, Philly was more than triple the size of Houston. Because of insane growth, Houston has recently passed up Philly MSA and will continue to pull apart. Houston MSA will be larger than Philly CSA by 2015. Let's keep it real, Philly was a great city (top 3) before it's decline in the 50's. Houston and Dallas has passed it up and Atlanta, Miami and Pheonix will pass it up in 10-20 years.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
No Dallas?
It's important. Maybe toward the bottom of the 10. Don't know where, though. We're getting off track - including myself. We were only looking for FOURTH place, and I think everyone is going to push for the city they want to see get that spot, so many cities will be discussed.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM

422 posts, read 815,932 times
I agree. DC, SF, Philly or Boston. Houston and Dallas can fight for 8.

Quote:
It's important. Maybe toward the bottom of the 10. Don't know where, though. We're getting off track - including myself. We were only looking for FOURTH place, and I think everyone is going to push for the city they want to see get that spot, so many cities will be discussed.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
I agree. DC, SF, Philly or Boston. Houston and Dallas can fight for 8.
That is not what he is saying at all. You are misquoting robert. He listed Houston Boston and philly in the 6,7 and 8 group.

He never said Philly and Boston were ahead of Houston and Houston can fight for 8. In Fact in another post he listed Houston ahead of Philly and Boston.

so dunno what you agreeing with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City