Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
The Houston area added 135k/year since 2008 and most of it is in our UA. We should have close to 5.3 million as of 2012. We are catching up to Philly individual UA. If you like combining NY stats to boost your numbers than might as well change your user id name to kidphilly/nyc
The UA is grey in that the census needs to cut lines

Honestly if you the new the Houston and Philly areas you might better understand the size differences the stats dont always show

The Woddlands are the same disatnce as Allentown is from Philly (not even included) and another nearly 1 million person metro. The density is misleading as where the extensions are in Philly they add exurbs to the South and west; not really where the main part of development are.

Is neither here nor there but on urban scale there is a pretty dramatic difference. Also the areas are so different in their urban proximities; Houston has nothing around it for miles whereas many of the metro cuts around Philly are basically smack dab in the middle of urbanized development that would be as dense as the inner loop in Houston. 11 miles East the UA is cut (just a line not development); 14 miles North

While on paper the metric may suggest this, the reality is different

Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
I may have issues with it, but it has to be San Francisco. Honestly, I'd rank it like this in terms of performance, not my personal preferences:

1) New York City
2) Chicago (don't like it, but it'll always be the Second City)
3) Washington, DC (never underestimate the government)
4) San Francisco
5) Los Angeles

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I know that Hagerstown will be joining the DC 'CSA' area next year if the definitions stay the same or ease up. That's another 400,000 in the DC basket
I highly doubt that. Hagertown is 70 plus miles from DC. There is basically no development between Hagerstown and Frederick. I don't see Hagerstown being added to DC next year or ever.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I may have issues with it, but it has to be San Francisco. Honestly, I'd rank it like this in terms of performance, not my personal preferences:

1) New York City
2) Chicago (don't like it, but it'll always be the Second City)
3) Washington, DC (never underestimate the government)
4) San Francisco
5) Los Angeles
This post isn't an attempt to denigrate Los Angeles.

Not at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I highly doubt that. Hagertown is 70 plus miles from DC. There is basically no development between Hagerstown and Frederick. I don't see Hagerstown being added to DC next year or ever.
He meant to say the CSA which means being added to the DC/Baltimore CSA. There is a real strong possibility of DC and Baltimore being added together as one MSA because Howard and Anne Arundel County will probably be taken from the Baltimore MSA and added to the D.C. MSA next year. That would mean that Baltimore's MSA commuter percentage would reach the 25% commuter rate from the rest of the Baltimore MSA that is left. If not, then D.C. will grow to close to 6.5 million and Baltimore will shrink to 2 million.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-07-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
He meant to say the CSA which means being added to the DC/Baltimore CSA. There is a real strong possibility of DC and Baltimore being added together as one MSA because Howard and Anne Arundel County will probably be taken from the Baltimore MSA and added to the D.C. MSA next year. That would mean that Baltimore's MSA commuter percentage would reach the 25% commuter rate from the rest of the Baltimore MSA that is left. If not, then D.C. will grow to close to 7 million and Baltimore will shrink to 2 million.

Actually dont think this will happen. there are two factors in the commuter rates; first is the commuter rate and secondly is the commuter rate to core counties

I believe MOCO and PG do not count in this regards; could be wrong but though I read that prior when digging into connections

Bottom line is for Howard the core county commuters to Baltimore will most likely always be higher than the core county commuters to DC. Also unless some pretty drastic changes Baltimore and DC will retain seperate MSAs (makes sense functionally) and will continue toi be connected as CSAs also makes sense in the grand scheme of things

For Hagarstown to attach to the CSA more than 15% of its commuters will have to commute into the core counties of either MSA; also not likely

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually dont think this will happen. there are two factors in the commuter rates; first is the commuter rate and secondly is the commuter rate to core counties

I believe MOCO and PG do not count in this regards; could be wrong but though I read that prior when digging into connections

Bottom line is for Howard the core county commuters to Baltimore will most likely always be higher than the core county commuters to DC. Also unless some pretty drastic changes Baltimore and DC will retain seperate MSAs (makes sense functionally) and will continue toi be connected as CSAs also makes sense in the grand scheme of things
Well, I guess we will see. D.C. has added substantial growth in jobs compared to 2000 while Baltimore has not. There was only a 5,000 person difference in commuting from Baltimore city proper and D.C. in Howard county so I guess it will depend on how the 40,000 additional residents commute. Most people in Howard County identify with D.C. now in 2010 anyway so if it is switched, it will make more sense. Anne Arundel County had a 7,000 person difference between Baltimore proper and D.C. proper. A huge wide card here is the increase in jobs in D.C. proper and the loss of jobs in Baltimore city proper due to 20%+ office vacancy rate in 2010. Office vacancy was non-existent in D.C. proper in 2010. We will see, but in the last 10 years, the region has made a complete 360 degree shift. It is a very real possibility.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Stop saying "catching up to philly." No metro is going to catch up to Philly especially when our suburbs are more urban than your actual cities (looking at you Houston). The development in Philadelphia is continuous and connects to New York. There is no other option but to connect UA's and one day connect CSA's. Mercer County in New Jersey is included in both the New York and Philadelphia CSA's. What does that tell you?

By the time Houston gets anywhere close to Philly in UA or CSA, Philly will be combined with New York. We're not "leaching on to New York to boost Philly." Why would the Census want to boost either city? That doesn't make any sense. This forum baffles me sometimes.

Now stop the bickering

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

Not at all.
It is pretty much an attempt to denigrate any city that is not New York

Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

Not at all.
Well, I'm sorry, but what is Los Angeles honestly bringing that can compare with what's above it? Cite entertainment all you want, but that's rapidly leaving and going to Canada or other places abroad. It doesn't have the intense tech production and industry of the Bay Area, nor DC's world importance in government, or Chicago's historical or financial status. It's not meant to denigrate anyone, just my opinion on the relative importance of cities in the US. Just because LA's population is the second highest after NYC doesn't mean it's the second-most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City