U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Formally NW Chicago burbs, now Denver
1,618 posts, read 1,074,478 times
Reputation: 1733
DC since it is the hub of federal politics...

 
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
Good point.

But lets say the population of Houston doubled or tripled, i would assume that market forces wouldnt just spread people and jobs evenly over all of houston. I assume the more desireable areas and sections of town would be bid up while there are certain areas that people would not want to live.

Same for businesses - businesses would cluster around certain areas driving up those prices.

I guess I am wondering at what COL increases makes a place like Houston lose desirability since it seems to be a major strength.

But its a point well taken that houston has lots of land to expand.
the area in bold is where you went off the track. I agree that the population won't be evenly spread, it never is, but population booms in the city usually surround employment centers. That is why the city is so unevenly populated. For instance. Uptown and TMC are huge job centers. The density around those two are much higher than the intervening space. Most probably if the population doubles or triples, it would be a result of a new residential area or an old one that was bulldozed and built over.

I don't think you understand how spread out the population and economic centers are around here. Let me give you an idea. Greenspoint is in the City limits of Houston. It is 14M away from Downtown. I saw a Red Wolf. Yes a freaking Red Wolf in between the Greenspoint economic district and Downtown. For a carnivore of such size to exist in an area it mush have sufficient wooded area to hunt, breed, etc And that is in between two districts in the city limits. Heck you can probably fit in 3-4 million people between Houston's downtown and Greenspoint without altering the price of land very much.
 
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
 
367 posts, read 403,450 times
Reputation: 221
Interesting...i didnt realize houston was so vast as my personal experience in texas is growing up in Dallas and some time in Austin.

I was surprised that Dallas had become a more expensive city to live in the last time I visited. If i moved back, I wouldnt want to live out in the sticks, and those more central areas were alot more expensive than i remembered.

however, the area I grew up, which had now become seedier, was still affordable but obviously declining.

I assumed Houston was similar.




Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
the area in bold is where you went off the track. I agree that the population won't be evenly spread, it never is, but population booms in the city usually surround employment centers. That is why the city is so unevenly populated. For instance. Uptown and TMC are huge job centers. The density around those two are much higher than the intervening space. Most probably if the population doubles or triples, it would be a result of a new residential area or an old one that was bulldozed and built over.

I don't think you understand how spread out the population and economic centers are around here. Let me give you an idea. Greenspoint is in the City limits of Houston. It is 14M away from Downtown. I saw a Red Wolf. Yes a freaking Red Wolf in between the Greenspoint economic district and Downtown. For a carnivore of such size to exist in an area it mush have sufficient wooded area to hunt, breed, etc And that is in between two districts in the city limits. Heck you can probably fit in 3-4 million people between Houston's downtown and Greenspoint without altering the price of land very much.
 
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
Interesting...i didnt realize houston was so vast as my personal experience in texas is growing up in Dallas and some time in Austin.

I was surprised that Dallas had become a more expensive city to live in the last time I visited. If i moved back, I wouldnt want to live out in the sticks, and those more central areas were alot more expensive than i remembered.

however, the area I grew up, which had now become seedier, was still affordable but obviously declining.

I assumed Houston was similar.
I am not saying that nowhere in the City has changed. Prices in Montrose, Midtown, Heights, Greenway, Uptown, Binz, etc have shot up. Rice, River Oaks, Memorial, etc have always been pricey.

What I am saying is that there are so many alternatives. The east side of town a stones throw from Downtown is still affordable. The 3rd Ward is slowly increasing its high density residential units, I guess the 5th ward will be next. There is so much land very close to Downtown that can be redeveloped that I just don't see land becoming an issue anytime soon.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 AM
 
120 posts, read 89,497 times
Reputation: 89
You can debate Houston all you want, but no Texas city is ever going to be relevant in this discussion.

HTH.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
You can debate Houston all you want, but no Texas city is ever going to be relevant in this discussion.

HTH.
Your opinion.

People who know more would disagree.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
 
120 posts, read 89,497 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Your opinion.

People who are from Texas would disagree.
Fixed that for you.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Fixed that for you.
many people not from Texas disagreed with you in this very thread.

But I bet you won't let that alter your ignorance
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
 
22 posts, read 40,259 times
Reputation: 35
DC, SF...............................a Texas city, uh.....no!
 
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
 
423 posts, read 356,603 times
Reputation: 278
This is one of those threads that needed a poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top