Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well.. we all know you think that, in your funny little world.

Actually, they're about the same but I find DC to be more interesting.
Yawns.

They are about 'the same' as a Honda Accord( fully loaded if it makes you feel better) and a Porsche Panamera, that's a sedan btw.

Even for things East Coasters jiz over like density and vibrancy and ethnic neighborhoods and public transit blah blah blah, SF whallops DC.

Let alone amenities and other things SF wins before the comparison even begins like natural setting and cosmopolitanism.

Let's keep it real people.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

They are about 'the same' as a Honda Accord( fully loaded if it makes you feel better) and a Porsche Panamera, that's a sedan btw.

Even for things East Coasters jiz over like density and vibrancy and ethnic neighborhoods and public transit blah blah blah, SF whallops DC.

Let alone amenities and other things SF wins before the comparison even begins like natural setting and cosmopolitanism.

Let's keep it real people.
If DC was a person it would have a masters degree wearing a suit while walking to work. If the Bay Area was a person it would be a hippie on a street corner begging for change or attending a political rally.

Face it.... DC>SF in importance, deal with it.

#owned

Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,180,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
If DC was a person it would have a masters degree wearing a suit while walking to work. If the Bay Area was a person it would be a hippie on a street corner begging for change or attending a political rally.

#owned
Totally agree but i think SF might be important in technology though because they have apple and Microsoft but thats it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,470,485 times
The obvious answer, as stated before, would be Washington. The city's influence on the country's political fabric alone asserts that notion. San Francisco, while having a more diversified economy, would trail right behind DC.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
If DC was a person it would have a masters in a suit walking to work. If the Bay Area was a person it would be a hippie on a street corner begging for
Change or attending a political rally.

#owned

lol

And let's not even talk about downtowns because DCs collection of high density office parks is mediocre compared to the world class downtown one finds in SF, the City.

How does DC beat SF city vs city exactly?

If you couldnt ever leave city limits, only a fool would pick DC over SF.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

lol

And let's not even talk about downtowns because DCs collection of high density office parks is mediocre compared to the world class downtown one finds in SF, the City.

How does DC beat SF city vs city exactly?

If you couldnt ever leave city limits, only a fool would pick DC over SF.
You see Montclair, I love both and speak the truth. I do not pick sides of hating a city and boosting another when two cities are on this high of a level.

SF has the better downtown, DC is more important though.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 04-10-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
The obvious answer, as stated before, would be Washington. The city's influence on the country's political fabric alone asserts that notion. San Francisco, while having a more diversified economy, would trail right behind DC.
I think that's a reasonable and objective opinion, and I agree--the overall political importance of DC gives it a place and stature in the US more considerable than it's size alone or other amenities would indicate.

Unfortunately prepare for that viewpoint for it to be buried under the same tired homerism that overtakes every city vs. city thread like a legion of raging Vikings pillaging the English coastline circa 850. Followed by 80 more pages arguing about density, diversity and the number of millionaires in each city.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Totally agree but i think SF might be important in technology though because they have apple and Microsoft but thats it.
What do you mean by "they have Microsoft"?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM

6,542 posts, read 6,576,312 times
#4 is a close call between SF and DC. DC CSA and MSA have higher regional GDPs than SF Bay. But I have a hard time including Baltimore in any analysis of DC, because they are so different than us. The 49ers are moving a couple miles from the San Jose city line, and will still be "San Francisco". But if you put a team named "Washington" on the Anne Arundel-Baltimore Line, you'd have a dudes-in-jeans-shorts rebellion.

So I'm going with SF 4th. Also extra credit for giving us Facebook, Google, Apple, etc, while we're taking your tax dollars.

Lastly, I've learned from this forum that Philly is the most important city ever, so I expect that within 18 months, it will leapfrog everybody and become #1, as soon as the Cira South project is done. Also, we need to remember that Census bureaucrats are crazy biased, and are plotting against Philadelphia to keep its rankings down.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You see Montclair, I love both and speak the truth. I do not pick sides of hating a city and boosting another when two cities are on this high of a level.

SF has the better downtown, DC is more important though.
The truth is, DC is more important as far as govt and related services while SF is more important in virtually everything else.

Finance, Banking, High Technology, Multimedia, Health Care, Bio Sciences, Engineering and Architecture, Fashion and Apparel, Education, etc.

Cities proper, DC is currently stalled because govt spending on fluff has been curtailed and they have a bunch of projects currently underway that will sit half empty upon completion. SF on the other hand is booming by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City