U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you agree with NYC, LA, CHI, DC, SF being the top 5 US cities
Yes 27 48.21%
No 29 51.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

90 posts, read 65,908 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how many people would agree with this ranking (in any order) of the top 5 US cities (by cities, lets be real..we mean metro area inclusive)

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco

How many would agree with those being the top 5 cities?

I have a feeling most people would agree, except for perhaps the last 2. I can see people disagreeing with San Francisco, but IMO, there isn't really enough to say that they AREN'T a top 5 US metro region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM

886 posts, read 1,268,203 times
Of course I agree because those 5 ARE the top 5. Also leave it open poll, always nice to see the delusional eye to eye

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

423 posts, read 635,777 times
So many ppl are going to argue that Boston, Houston and/or Philadelphia can easily be placed in the top 5. I love SF, but in this poll, it's certainly the wild card that everyone will want to replace for one of the aforementioned cities.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM

The top 5 argument is boring because save a few homers from Boston, Houston, and Philly the majority (including many level headed posters from these 3) would agree that NYC, LA, CHI, D.C., SF are top 5.

More interesting question would have been who is the second set of 5 where obviously Boston, Houston, Philly, and Dallas place in any order from 6-9 but who is 10th? It's close between Atlanta, Detroit, and Miami

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

672 posts, read 1,471,740 times
NYC/LA are 1 and 2 set in stone for the forseeable future.

SF/CHI/DC juggle for the 3/4/5 positions depending on what criteria you are looking for. I don't think there is any city that can pierce this in any way for the forseeable future.

And yes, I'm glad that the poll is transparent as well. It makes it easy to see if a poll is rigged or tainted.

I'm going with this report that analyzes 21 of the major "city indices" and spits out a composite score. The results are not surprising.

Top 5 for the US
NYC, LA, SF, CHI, DC

No ifs ands or buts about it.
http://www.melbourneknowledgesummit.com/portals/14/proceedings/documents/12_Grant.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM

6,621 posts, read 10,908,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
I am wondering how many people would agree with this ranking (in any order) of the top 5 US cities (by cities, lets be real..we mean metro area inclusive)

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco

I have a feeling most people would agree, except for perhaps the last 2. I can see people disagreeing with San Francisco, but IMO, there isn't really enough to say that they AREN'T a top 5 US metro region
Miami should be in here. I've never been to San Fran but I do think NYC should be number one followed by LA.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM

7,177 posts, read 14,959,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post

For what?

For the hell of it, I'm just going to assume "overall importance."

I think the top four are fairly universal. NYC, LA, Chicago and DC. While you may be able to debate the order of those four (many will switch the last two), it's hard to argue that another city in the US is more important.

That 5th spot is debatable, but I'd probably go with San Francisco too. I like Boston better, but largely due to my ties to the area (family, friends, etc). If I were unbiased, I'd probably prefer San Francisco. I also think it's more culturally significant than Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, etc. It's certainly no slouch economically either (of course, I mean the Bay Area as a whole... SF, OAK, and SJ). I'm sure this thread will end up into a debate nitpicking even the slightest statistics, but in terms of overall influence (economic, cultural, tourism, education, etc), I would put the Bay Area as number 5.

Fittingly enough, by saying San Francisco is the 5th most important, the top 5 break down like this:

West Coast: 2 cities
Central US: 1 city
East Coast: 2 cities

That's a fairly even breakdown.

That's just my opinion, it would be fairly simple to make a case for a city like Philadelphia, Houston, Boston, etc. in the 5 spot, but I would give SF the edge.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM

4,835 posts, read 9,581,900 times
I think that is a pretty fair breakdown. DC, NYC, LA and Chicago are without a doubt. I think 5. San Fran does make the most sense though Atlanta, Miami, Boston and Philly could all have a decent discussion of being included in 5 but SF does have the edge. That being said take those four and Houston or Dallas to make the top 10.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Uh no Houston and Dallas have a cement spot from 6-9 easily and so do Boston and Philly. It's Miami that must battle Atlanta and Detroit for the 10th spot and Seattle to a smaller extent

Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM

423 posts, read 635,777 times
I agree! So, much to your chagrin; I obliged. See the newest CD thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
The top 5 argument is boring because save a few homers from Boston, Houston, and Philly the majority (including many level headed posters from these 3) would agree that NYC, LA, CHI, D.C., SF are top 5.

More interesting question would have been who is the second set of 5 where obviously Boston, Houston, Philly, and Dallas place in any order from 6-9 but who is 10th? It's close between Atlanta, Detroit, and Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or