Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 AM

62 posts, read 168,928 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear opinions on which of these two places are better to live in and/or visit. Examples of comparable items include cost of living, population, ethnic diversity, music or thearte events,rent/utilites prices, scenery,things to do in and around the city, and places to meet people....and so on!! Any input welcome! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,111,707 times
My opinion

cost of living-tie- depends on where ya live in both cities. can be cheap/expensive

population-Phx - has twice or three times as much people

ethnic diversity-Atx - higher % of Blacks, Asians, East Indians

music or thearte events-Atx come on really, no place in US best Atx in music

rent/utilites prices-Phx- has more elec companies and they work real good with ya

scenery-Phx- city full of mountains. can't beat that

things to do in and around the city-Atx by a hair because of the river and lakes in and less than 1hr away, and nice downtown rocks

places to meet people-Phx due to its size and various city in the Valley area

Last edited by FastFerrari; 03-13-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
There are very few cities that Phoenix can beat. By default, Austin.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,040,360 times
When I think of the early 90's, I miss Austin. That city was fun then.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,389,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
My opinion

cost of living-tie- depends on where ya live in both cities. can be cheap/expensive

population-Phx - has twice or three times as much people

ethnic diversity-Atx - higher % of Blacks, Asians, East Indians

music or thearte events-Atx come on really, no place in US best Atx in music

rent/utilites prices-Phx- has more elec companies and they work real good with ya

scenery-Phx- city full of mountains. can't beat that

things to do in and around the city-Atx by a hair because of the river and lakes in and less than 1hr away, and nice downtown rocks

places to meet people-Phx due to its size and various city in the Valley area
Complete BS. It has a lot per capita, this is true... but come on.. NYC.. LA... even New Orleans down the road have great and/or better music scenes. I'd say the Phoenix metro is more interesting, so is Arizona (IMO) and being able to drive to LA/San Diego or Las Vegas pretty quick, or to real mountains..... but Austin seems like a more fun place to live and seems like it has a decent core to do stuff in, i.e. a lively downtown.

Texas to me still has some kind of weird stigma, I dunno... Not sure I could embrace it with all the RA RA RA Texas folks. Arizona seems cool though.

Tough choice bt these two.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,761,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Complete BS. It has a lot per capita, this is true... but come on.. NYC.. LA... even New Orleans down the road have great and/or better music scenes. I'd say the Phoenix metro is more interesting, so is Arizona (IMO) and being able to drive to LA/San Diego or Las Vegas pretty quick, or to real mountains..... but Austin seems like a more fun place to live and seems like it has a decent core to do stuff in, i.e. a lively downtown.

Texas to me still has some kind of weird stigma, I dunno... Not sure I could embrace it with all the RA RA RA Texas folks. Arizona seems cool though.

You are right, that was hyperbole. In its defense though, there really is a ridiculous amount of live music happening all the time, and Austin also has proximity and accessibility on its side. Add in the several huge musical festivals and the city does pretty well for itself. The whole 'live musical capital of the world' thing is just branding by the chamber of commerce, some people get their panties in a bunch about that but I think it's just meant to reflect that live music is one of Austin's defining characteristics. New Orleans definitely could be argued to have a better scene, for me it comes down to genre preference...my musical sensibilities skew towards what Austin offers.

Lol at your RA RA Texas comment...it's funny because it's true mostly, at least...there are 2 camps, you either complain about it or you get the hell on board with it

Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
You are right, that was hyperbole. In its defense though, there really is a ridiculous amount of live music happening all the time, and Austin also has proximity and accessibility on its side. Add in the several huge musical festivals and the city does pretty well for itself. The whole 'live musical capital of the world' thing is just branding by the chamber of commerce, some people get their panties in a bunch about that but I think it's just meant to reflect that live music is one of Austin's defining characteristics. New Orleans definitely could be argued to have a better scene, for me it comes down to genre preference...my musical sensibilities skew towards what Austin offers.

Lol at your RA RA Texas comment...it's funny because it's true mostly...there are 2 camps, you either complain about it or you get the hell on board with it
I'd still probably put it around 5th-6th in the country for the music scene, considering it's only a 2 million metro, impressive. It's most definitely not ahead of NYC or Los Angeles. I mean the place definitely revolves around music.
I would prefer the music in Austin also, but, I'm not sure I'd say it is *better* than New Orleans.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

How is it BS?? This is my opinion and at least I gave one with insight living in both cities. Have you lived in either one?? Texas is my home, but I had more fun living in Phoenix than Austin.

The RA RA Texas thing cannot be explain, you must be born here to get it.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
How is it BS?? This is my opinion and at least I gave one with insight living in both cities. Have you lived in either one?? Texas is my home, but I had more fun living in Phoenix than Austin.

The RA RA Texas thing cannot be explain, you must be born here to get it.
No, but I find the outside visitor usually has better insight into what is good and bad than actual residents, and often notices thing residents are just "used to". This is of course assuming they visit and spend time in a lot of cities. It gives them an objective lens to stack up the quality in multiple cities against each other. Residents when speaking of where they spend the most time are too often conflicted with illusory superiority. For that reason I tend to comment much less on say, Florida where I grew up, than I do other cities because I'm aware of my own probable bias. I generally tend to trust the opinions of well traveled people on here, as opposed to people who are "born and raised" somewhere who too often tend to skew towards "this is the greatest place on earth" and also go to the other extreme with "this is a rotting cesspool". The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Now if I wanted to figure out where is the closest place to get good food from a particular part of the city, then I would definitely trust the local over the transient/traveler... they just aren't the best at comparing cities vs cities.
Not that you can't be right... but I am saying your opinion on it being the best music place in the country is a bit off. It's the same way with a lot of Chicago folks that think the Mexican and Chinese food here is good, I have gotten into arguments with them saying it isn't so hot, having also lived in California, and not from either.

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM

886 posts, read 1,557,046 times
New Orleans is a crime ridden swamp that has no place in this conversation. Austin wins this by a hundred miles if it was against New Orleans and Phoenix is a decent place but Austin is nicer. Austin, Houston, and Dallas are the nicest places in the entire south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City