Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
Yeah I agree I'm getting the feeling he is playing good cop bad cop with his posts
Translation: Being objective and not a homer.

I'm fine with that and I won't hestitate for one minute to point out the negatives of my state, which I can see bug some of the CA homers on here. But I don't let anyone completely trash and misrepresent my state either.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I have a post here with videos of "regular" people partying in the Montrose, downtown, Washington Ave, and etc. But who cares what you think. There are people walking and partying all around Houston yet it is still "lame" and "lifeless" or "horrid." Yeah, that reality burst your collective bubbles, eh?
And it does nothing but embarrass Houston at the same time. Neither of these videos do a great service for Houston. Is Houston improving in walkable areas? Yes. Is it getting more urban? Yes though mostly inside the loop plus the galleria area. Is it getting more vibrant and bustling? Yes. But those videos do nothing but show Houston is lifeless and spotty in its nightlife. We've already told you this before in the Houston forum.

And San Diego is more urban than Houston. I don't see why that is hard to admit. I like Houston more than SD. But SD is more walkable and dense than Houston. It also IMO has a better climate. This is no slight to Houston as it has many good qualities in itself despite what some people on here have said. But I tend to believe they only put down Houston because you put down San Diego to hype up Houston.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 AM

64 posts, read 154,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And it does nothing but embarrass Houston at the same time. Neither of these videos do a great service for Houston. Is Houston improving in walkable areas? Yes. Is it getting more urban? Yes though mostly inside the loop plus the galleria area. Is it getting more vibrant and bustling? Yes. But those videos do nothing but show Houston is lifeless and spotty in its nightlife. We've already told you this before in the Houston forum.

And San Diego is more urban than Houston. I don't see why that is hard to admit. I like Houston more than SD. But SD is more walkable and dense than Houston. It also IMO has a better climate. This is no slight to Houston as it has many good qualities in itself despite what some people on here have said. But I tend to believe they only put down Houston because you put down San Diego to hype up Houston.
Thankyou Mr. Spade finally someone who is non bias who see's the whole picture

Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
No you haven't and all I saw in those vids was people at restaurants that proves nothing, you have not given anything but your opinion, saying stuff like people shopping in wanna be ______ or people drinking at a pretend_______, its all opinion worldlyman show me one video of lively areas in Houston, you haven't and you wont because they don't exist
I've already shown videos (if the Anal Urbanists actually watch them fully and take in the context) where there is partying all over Houston and its environs. We have many more options that San Diego. Period. We just don't do it predictable, packaged Disney-style ala Gas Lamp. Even then, downtown Houston partying has a much more adventurous vibe than dt San Diego.

I've already shown downtown Houston pictures on an average day where there is actually life on Houston streets. For a sprawling city with multiple centers of activity there's nothing "dead" about downtown H-town. It ain't SF or Chicago or Boston (cities you can all fit into Houston)...but downtown Houston is far from "lifeless" (and "bland" and "lifeless" downtown Houston got a flashy Sundance Cinema from Robert Redford last November 2011...San Diego...ah, maybe way later, lol, if ever).

You must be a very inexperienced person if you "need videos of lively areas."

Houston is a sprawling place that is not densely built like SF or Chicago...but considering that, we sure have our share of neat areas where people do walk from place to place, places of all types of construction.

Last edited by worldlyman; 07-10-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I've already shown videos where there is partying all over Houston and its environs. We have many more options that San Diego. Period. We just don't do it predictable, packaged Disney-style ala Gas Lamp. Even then, downtown Houston partying has a much more adventurous vibe than dt San Diego.

I've already shown downtown Houston pictures on an average day where there is actually life on Houston streets. For a sprawling city with multiple centers of activity there's nothing "dead" about downtown H-town. It ain't SF or Chicago or Boston (cities you can all fit into Houston)...but downtown Houston is far from "lifeless" (and "bland" and "lifeless" downtown Houston got a flashy Sundance Cinema from Robert Redford last November 2011...San Diego...ah, maybe way later, lol, if ever).

You must be a very inexperienced person if you "need videos of lively areas."

Houston is a sprawling place that is not densely built like SF or Chicago...but considering that, we sure have our share of neat areas where people do walk from place to place, places of all types of construction.
Who the hell are you?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Ah, Spade. You, whose Anal Urban posts in Houston forum kind of deride the city for not being enough like SF or Chicago, or something along those lines...yep, not too surprising.

Embarrass? What's embarrassing about them? They show Houston's multiple formats, that we can socialize and party beyond mere predictable "dense" constructs. What about what's ACTUALLY in Houston's party areas rather than the format? Houston just offers substantially more diverse options than San Diego. It's that simple.

See. Houston can't win. If Houston attempts to be like other cities, "Ooh, inferior complex Houston has to try and copy such and such city." But when Houston is at its unique best and displays its maverick character...then it is an "embarrassment."

I love the varying formats of Houston's party areas.

Yeah, I bet you "like Houston better than San Diego." You apparently don't have a problem when other posts label Houston as "lame" and "lifeless."

I've seen enough injustice in San Diego in my time to make me express my thoughts on the place. Houston isn't perfect, and it has its own screwball issues, but at least it doesn't hide things or pretend to be perfect, unlike "America's Finest City."

This "urban" thing. Indeed, San Diego is more dense. OK. But where is the REAL urban culture there? Houston has more of that on both ends of the spectrum!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Ah, Spade. You, whose Anal Urban posts in Houston forum kind of deride the city for not being enough like SF or Chicago, or something along those lines...yep, not too surprising.

You have me confused with the wrong person. I don't want Houston to be SF or Chicago. I want Houston to be Houston but improve in its urbanity and density. Chicago and SF are dense and urban cities, but they have their own unique patterns of density and urbanity and most of all, culture.

Quote:
Embarrass? What's embarrassing about them? They show Houston's multiple formats, that we can socialize and party beyond mere predictable "dense" constructs. What about what's ACTUALLY in Houston's party areas rather than the format? Houston just offers substantially more diverse options than San Diego. It's that simple.
Because there is nothing in those videos that show Houston is on par with any other city when it comes to nightlife. In fact, it makes Houston look dull.

Quote:
Yeah, I bet you "like Houston better than San Diego." You apparently don't have a problem when other posts label Houston as "lame" and "lifeless."
I mentioned that Houston has many great qualities despite what people on this thread said or did you skip that part of my comment. You labled with San Diego and they brought it back to you. If you can't take the heat, don't dish it.

Quote:
This "urban" thing. Indeed, San Diego is more dense. OK. But where is the REAL urban culture there? Houston has more of that on both ends of the spectrum!
No, it really doesn't. Houston is mostly suburban in nature. Even the inner loop is suburban though it's changing. SD is more walkable. The neighborhoods are more pedestrian friendly. better public transit , etc.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
You have me confused with the wrong person. I don't want Houston to be SF or Chicago. I want Houston to be Houston but improve in its urbanity and density. Chicago and SF are dense and urban cities, but they have their own unique patterns of density and urbanity and most of all, culture.
So why would my videos be an "embarassment?"

Quote:
Because there is nothing in those videos that show Houston is on par with any other city when it comes to nightlife. In fact, it makes Houston look dull.
How so exactly? Houston sure knows how to make good use of its massive square miles. There's a TON of nightlife happening outside of predictable dense blocks. If you have no sense of architectural variety or appreciation of varied street texture...you have no clue then. Everything from HUGE palapa decks to intimate low-rise sidewalk storefronts to classic urban settings...Houston has it all. I will remind of that variety time and time again. Not very many cities offer that.

Other cities are more dense...but are they as varied in arrangements as Houston? Name a city that has something like Richmond Avenue where there is a COLLECTION of HUGE patio decks unmatched, like Sam's Boat...Deck Haus...Rocca's...Mazaj...Horn...Gertner's Sports...Concert Pub...British Isles...Maryz Lebanese...when we don't feel like doing Washington Ave or downtown or the Montrose? (Little bitty alfresco patios that are the standard in other cities don't count.)

Quote:
I mentioned that Houston has many great qualities despite what people on this thread said or did you skip that part of my comment. You labled with San Diego and they brought it back to you. If you can't take the heat, don't dish it.
I don't really notice any genuine positive "comments" about H-town, to be honest. Proud is proud.

And the others haven't brought anything back, really. Houston's got an explosion of new in-fill developments going on ALL OVER which give this town I live in A WAY COOLER buzz factor. San Diego...not so much.

Robert Redford's group gave Houston THE 3rd Sundance Cinema, awesome place, (I don't think you'll find a theater like that anywhere in San Diego) because they know people take higher-end culture more seriously in downtown Houston than in the Gas Lamp.

As someone who actually lived in the heart of San Diego for a few months, I gave a painful perspective of "America's Finest City." By and large, San Diego is NOT for truly adventurous (and actual) city lovers and deep thinkers.

Quote:
No, it really doesn't. Houston is mostly suburban in nature. Even the inner loop is suburban though it's changing. SD is more walkable. The neighborhoods are more pedestrian friendly. better public transit , etc.
Walkable, schmalkable. Disney is quite more walkable. Like I've said, it doesn't make it more "urban." San Diego is simply Disney to me in a city arrangement.

What is "suburban" in Houston anyway? I would say Katy or Sugar Land. But looking more closely...

In sections of Houston, there is appreciable pedestrianism along Ranchester to New Chinatown to shop for groceries at Jus-Go and Welcome Center or fetch water or eat at the vast number of cafes or catch the No. 2 bus to go downtown/Med Center or wherever. REAL PEOPLE. REAL CITY LIFE. (I head to New Chinatown to fetch my water, buy my cabbage, etc.) The mass pedestrian liveliness is quite impressive in those centers like Sin Chao, Dun Huang, DiHo...

This shows more "urban" substance to me than when I lived in downtown San Diego. Just basically a Navy frat boy's/pasty tourists'/wannabe yuppie urbanistas' haven. Working class folks are at the periphery to catch the trolley somewhere else, for the most part.

It just felt hokey when I lived in the Gas Lamp. Didn't have the same true survival fabric. Gas Lamp was neat for the first few weeks...then it was an over-priced trendy trap.

And the eateries in New Chinatown BLOW away the Gas Lamp's! There is largely no REAL food in Gas Lamp or Hillcrest or Old Town that comes close to touching a place like Yummy's Kitchen or Sinh Sinh or Xiong's Cafe. You could get good ethnic meals in San Diego's Convoy area but, but, but that's strip centers! My gosh, the irony of it all!

"Ethnic" food in San Diego's trendy "urban" clusters that has NO spiciness, lol. Only in San Diego. (Well, El Cajon Blvd has some good ethnic eateries...but the Anal Urbanists probably wouldn't actually eat there...not gentrified enough...)

New Chinatown = real city life
Gas Lamp = tourist trap (heck, I find downtown San Pedro near L.A. to have more real vibe.)

Look at the Hillcroft/Bellaire axis. Gessner. Westchase. There is quite a bit of pedestrianism and "walkability" in Houston, considering the sprawl. People walk it in Houston. They do what they have to do. But, but, but those are working class people. But, but, but the sidewalks and storefronts aren't arranged a certain way, the density is not a certain point, so go the Anal Urbanists...

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 AM

A certain troll who spends way too much time here, and incidentally takes the time to send me a nice reputation message (and even nicer message on my YouTube channel)...can be interesting:

Exactly what has Houston lost? We should not count CD polls and threads as real, relatively.

Simply put, WAY more people go flock to Houston than San Diego. Houston has grown the largest in the last 10 years. Houston must be doing a few things right. San Diego is not even in the top 20. "Cost of living." Sure seems like more people are heading out to the Los Angeles environs compared to San Diego...

Smart Planet, July 14, 2011

Houston named fastest-growing city in U.S.; here’s the top 25 | SmartPlanet

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 AM

26 posts, read 101,198 times
^ WOW. These San Diego homers are some serious losers. Lobbying for votes? Seriously? LMAO it's not even that serious. Some people need to log off, head out into some sunlight and seriously reevaluate their lives. SMH. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City