Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
San Diego has a superior climate by miles and miles.
Of course it does & you pay a premium for it too.

California's economy sucks & San Diego's is no different from the rest of the state.

California high COL + few jobs = suck

Texas low COL + plentiful jobs = good

I think I'll save my money in Houston & vacation in SD or some place even better like Hawaii.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM

358 posts, read 751,499 times
Not surprised to see Houston getting blown out in this poll. San Diego to live AND vacation.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Not surprised to see Houston getting blown out in this poll. San Diego to live AND vacation.
Houston is by far the superior big business city & center of culture.

The Port of Houston blows San Diego's away in both foreign & domestic trade.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-06-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

419 posts, read 994,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Of course it does & you pay a premium for it too.

California's economy sucks & San Diego's is no different from the rest of the state.

California high COL + few jobs = suck

Texas low COL + plentiful jobs = good

I think I'll save my money in Houston & vacation in SD or some place even better like Hawaii.
Quote:

Nobody cares, if money was not an issue, I think the choice is obvious.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Houston because it has more of what I'm looking for. That said, the climate of SD is enticing.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM

43 posts, read 89,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So your list looks like this?

Paris
London
Sydney
Tokyo
NYC
Houston

.......I don't think so...

A big reason why Houston is growing so fast is because it's CHEAP. What's the median home price there? $150,000? Chump change.
Ok, let's put it this way - SD is a touristy place, somewhere where you go from the UK and say "wow, California, let's have some fun. Who wants to go to the beach or to the zoo?". Houston on the other hand, is pretty much useless for tourism from the outside of US (that's my personal opinion). But its well known, particularly in Europe as the energy hub and medical centre. That's one of the top destinations for European professionals. Also, I know more people who know about Houston than about SD. Houston is y a megacity with impressive international image. I don't want to upset anyone here, but a lot of tourists g to San Diego for a day or weekend trip after visng LA. I like SD but I think Houston is more affordable and more interesting.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,643,839 times
let's put it this way. houston got big because of industry (oil, medical) and the plentiful number of jobs.

san diego got "big" because of her location, weather, and beautiful scenery. San Diego has very little jobs and yet people struggle trying to make it work. no one would bother doing that for houston.

so san diego if money/jobs is not necessary. houston otherwise.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM

485 posts, read 866,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinPete View Post
look at you, they gave you bait and you bit off it. learn boy everyone is anti-LA. they even made another southern californian attack LA. true san diego is a great place and its really beautiful but still its no LA. LA had 56 million visitors in 2006 so what is ur point? its true San diego just like san fran is in LA shadow but still give San diego some more years and it will be a major force.
^ This. You swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. There's no need to attack LA SouthCali4LifeSD. There's enough folks outside of SoCal to do that for you. LA should be your ally in this debate, not your enemy. And from your post, you don't seem to know LA that well anyway.

I'd go with San Diego to live, Houston to visit.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM

64 posts, read 153,658 times
Quote:

Is this a reason to move to Houston You really are not helping your city if this is all you can boast about.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,684 times
I'd say BOTH. They offer plenty for both living and visiting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.