U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: US City with best Indian food?
New York 14 30.43%
Chicago 6 13.04%
Los Angeles 2 4.35%
Washington DC 0 0%
Bay Area 6 13.04%
Houston 3 6.52%
Atlanta 4 8.70%
Dallas 2 4.35%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM

5,010 posts, read 1,903,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, using the logic circulating in other threads, the answer is NYC because it has more Indians than any other city.

This also means that NYC has the most variety of any city in the country because it has the largest populations of Indians and Chinese.
Indian, maybe, I wouldn't know. Chinese--very few foodies rate NYC above L.A., SF, Toronto, Vancouver.

You seem upset by the Mexican food thread. You okay, little guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,089,253 times
They all have the best Indian cuisine, including many not named here.

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,818,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also the part of Central Jersey is well above the area anyone would consider with any Philly influence IMHO
I'm not talking about a sphere of cultural influence. I'm talking about New Jersey as a whole.
Philly can't claim their proximity to NJ's Indian cuisine as an asset to Philly because NJ does not get afforded the same luxury.

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,613,183 times
NYC Chicago LA SF, no order.

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM

18,101 posts, read 13,394,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I'm not talking about a sphere of cultural influence. I'm talking about New Jersey as a whole.
Philly can't claim their proximity to NJ's Indian cuisine as an asset to Philly because NJ does not get afforded the same luxury.

No I would consider that part metro NY, but still think very good Indianfood regardless

Unread 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM

637 posts, read 185,622 times
I would generally agree with the region between Philadelphia and New York City as having great options for Indian food. From South Indian Tamil to Kashmiri to Gujurati to Bengali, New Jersey seems to have it all.

New York City itself has those same kind of options, and so does Milbourne, PA.

It's interesting because you never have a comparison of places with good Indian food.

Unread 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,818,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No I would consider that part metro NY, but still think very good Indianfood regardless
Are you intentionally trying to not understand me?
NY can't claim whatever asset NJ has either (and they most likely wouldn't). NY & Philly don't offer NJ such privileges, so neither one can claim ours.
If you enjoy Indian food in New Jersey; say New Jersey has good Indian food.

PS
I've have my fair share of Indian in New Jersey & quite enjoyed it, but I have not experienced enough Indian cuisine outside of the state to say who is best. My only intention is to point out that Philly or anyone else can't take credit for NJ offerings.

Unread 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM

7,585 posts, read 5,123,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I would generally agree with the region between Philadelphia and New York City as having great options for Indian food. From South Indian Tamil to Kashmiri to Gujurati to Bengali, New Jersey seems to have it all.

New York City itself has those same kind of options, and so does Milbourne, PA.
You can find all of those cuisines in the LA and SF areas, as well.

Indian food in NYC actually, on the whole, didn't seem to be any "better" or "worse" than it is in LA. Never tried Jersey. IMHO, the best Indian places that I've been to, overall, are in Boston and Cambridge.

Unread 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM

18,521 posts, read 13,781,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NYC Chicago LA SF, no order.
this should have been a multiple pick poll. I have had varied great dishes in different cities and its hard to pick just one

Unread 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM

637 posts, read 185,622 times
I thought this thread would be a bit more interesting because Indians seem to be spread out all over the United States, unlike a huge concentration of Chinese or Mexicans or Italians in one or two places. Despite having the largest concentration in and around NYC, that only makes up 1/8 of the Indian population in the US.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the top Indian restaurant is in some small town in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City