U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the least crappy weather?
Vancouver 22 15.28%
Seattle 24 16.67%
Portland 98 68.06%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,027,085 times

Advertisements

Portland has rarely gotten too hot in the summer the last few years, except for 2009. Some years you'll have a huge heat wave like in 2009, but it's been rare, and in those cases Seattle's going to be hot as well. But there's been summers where I rarely needed to use even a fan to cool off.

If 75-80 degree weather and no humidity is too hot for someone, I'd imagine most of the US is going to feel too hot for them in the summer. When it does get too hot in the Northwest there's always a chance to escape to the coast. And if the coast is too hot--well count your blessings, because the coast of BC, Washington or Oregon on a super hot and rare heat wave is great place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM

35 posts, read 63,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And that's why I abandoned the thought of trying to move to Vancouver BC, which I mulled over for a year or two. It was the realization that it was Canada's "Miami"...essentially one of the milder/warmer areas in the country.
And that's a bad thing because?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM

18 posts, read 27,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Portland has rarely gotten too hot in the summer the last few years, except for 2009. Some years you'll have a huge heat wave like in 2009, but it's been rare, and in those cases Seattle's going to be hot as well. But there's been summers where I rarely needed to use even a fan to cool off.

If 75-80 degree weather and no humidity is too hot for someone, I'd imagine most of the US is going to feel too hot for them in the summer. When it does get too hot in the Northwest there's always a chance to escape to the coast. And if the coast is too hot--well count your blessings, because the coast of BC, Washington or Oregon on a super hot and rare heat wave is great place to be.
80 isn't too hot for me. But Toronto has an average high of 80 in July, and it can sometimes get over 90.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 PM

605 posts, read 1,179,940 times
Well I think this graph speaks for itself showing how dark the pacific northwest is. In the summer time I would say that Portland is definitely a little warmer than Seattle and Vancouver. Really summer in Seattle doesn't officially start until the end of July. When it is sunny in Seattle and Vancouver the views are amazing, easily blows away anything else in North America in terms of beauty in close proximity to a major city.

But as another poster stated there is an amazing number of micro climates in between Portland and Vancouver B.C. You can literally drive 40 mins and go from anything ranging from sunny weather or drizzle to 10 feet of snow on the ground.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,453,499 times
West Coast Perspective:

West Coast Winters - Average cloud cover & high/low temps over 3 months:

Pacific Northwest (PNW) - 95% cloudy, 40/30, pacific storm systems can last til June.

Bay Area & SAC - 50% cloudy, 55/45, receives 1/2 the pacific storms that the PNW gets. Pacific storm systems shut down after March.

Southern CA - 35% cloudy, 65/55, receives 1/4 the pacific storms that the PNW gets. Pacific storm systems on average shut down after Feb.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM

4,204 posts, read 5,475,444 times
All three sound perfect.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM

398 posts, read 597,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Well I think this graph speaks for itself showing how dark the pacific northwest is.

That is a great map, no wonder I did so bad in the midwest with days under 100, I grew up in over 200. It is also interesting see the more sun cities like NYC and Boston get to some of the midwest or interior great lakes, quite a difference.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM

45 posts, read 65,456 times
Arrow pull out the statistics

I'm from Vancouver, and if you can believe statistics, quite simply, the further North you go, the colder and wetter it gets.
Vancouver gets a LOT of rain due to its proximity to the coast mountains, being built on the windward side.
Portland also, being unprotected from Pacific Storms, gets its share of winter rain, whereas the Olympics protect Seattle Somewhat.

Portland is the sunniest (2300 hrs of sunshine annually, then Sattle at 2000, and Vancouver at 1800.)
Winters are mildest in Seattle as both Portland and Vancouver can have cold outflow winds, but spring comes earliest to Portland, then to Seattle, then to Vancouver a week or two later.

January averages in Fahrenheit: Portland 39°, Seattle 41°, and Vancouver at 38°

Portland has the warmest summers, (July mean 70°F, followed by Seattle at 66°F and Vancouver at 64°F)

Hope that gives all this some clarity

Regarding the map a few posts up, it seems as if that map was perhaps designed somewhat simplistically. The georgraphy of the Northwest is complex, and influenced by ranges of mountains. There are areas in Washington state, and in Oregon, which receive over 2200 hours of annual sunshine easily. Just east of the Cascade range in Washington and Oregon is a full scale sage-brush, sand dune, and scrub desert, with precipitation at a mere 7 inches. Included with that is summer heat, arid landscapes, and a LOT of sunshine.

Last edited by trofirhen; 07-19-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 53,757 times
Although I live in Seattle, at one point I had to go to Portland every weekend for 6 months. I remember how I'd get out my car in Portland and could literally feel how drier and warmer it was. I wouldn't underestimate the difference.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,548,153 times
The winds off the puget sound keep seattle cool in the summers while it can get quite uncomfortable in portland. Portland has the best spring, seattle has the bet summer and fall, and if your like me and enjoy colder winters hen vancouver has the best winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or