U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the least crappy weather?
Vancouver 22 15.28%
Seattle 24 16.67%
Portland 98 68.06%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,644,504 times

Advertisements

Portland has the best IMO-sunniest with the warmest summers, but the winters are worse than the other 2 locations due to being a bit inland; it is more prone to freezes.

Seattle is just a few degrees warmer than Vancouver due to being more south, but it really is not much different. Summers are usually 75F during the day in both places, 55F at night, with a cool breeze, sunny skies, no bugs and low humidity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Yeah, I can see that. Boston in the winter is generally clear but cold. Detroit is just cloudy from November to April on top of cold. Maybe Seattle gets a little more clouds than Detroit, maybe.... But it sure as hell is warmer.

That being said, nights during the summer in Seattle are kinda chilly. I always found myself reaching for my hoody. I kinda like to sweat a bit in the summer, it just doesn't feel right when it is July and I can't be comfortable outside shirtless.

Same thing in LA by the coast. I prefer about 10 miles in land, that way you get those warmer summer days and nights.
LA's coast actually has warmer nights pretty much year-round (minus heat waves, maybe) than inland areas. It also has warmer winter daytime temperatures than inland locales, even if only by 3 degrees. It is probably the sea breeze and fog that makes you feel cooler during summer nights there.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajonRondo View Post
Are you talking metro areas? Because Vancouver varies drastically. You can live on the North Shore, where they get over 60 inches per year of rain, or down at White Rock, where they probably get half that much rain, and more sunshine.

Vancouver's micro-climates vary too much to lump it all together.

For me, just looking at that stats, Portland looks too hot. I live in Toronto, and Portland appears just as hot as Toronto in the summer. And Toronto's summer's are too hot for my liking.
Thing is, in Portland it is a dry heat, and nights get cooler during the summer, so it won't feel as hot as Toronto. Toronto has its summer monsoon season, so all the thunderstorms, bugs sometimes, plus, more heat waves and that humidity that makes it feel hotter. And I know Toronto has quite a bit of cool summer nights, like Chicago, but also it has quite a bit of summer nights in the 70sF and sometimes higher.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM

15,388 posts, read 8,045,097 times
I say Portland but it's so close betwen the 3 that climate shouldn't be a major factor in deciding to live or visit any 1 of the 3.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,750 posts, read 39,666,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Assuming Toronto gets as hot as all the other cities in the eastern half of the continent do, then you would be wrong. Plus Portland is never humid in the summer, so its about a trillion times more comfortable than Toronto.
No. Portland and Toronto have similar summer highs. It is drier as you said, and sunnier too. Summer averages are about identical to much of upstate NY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon#Climate

Seattle and especially Vancouver are noticeably cooler.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,750 posts, read 39,666,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Thing is, in Portland it is a dry heat, and nights get cooler during the summer, so it won't feel as hot as Toronto. Toronto has its summer monsoon season, so all the thunderstorms, bugs sometimes, plus, more heat waves and that humidity that makes it feel hotter. And I know Toronto has quite a bit of cool summer nights, like Chicago, but also it has quite a bit of summer nights in the 70sF and sometimes higher.
Toronto does not have a monsoon season, only the southwest and (maybe) the deep south gets that. It just does not have a dry season, unlike Portland. For summer, I'd say Portland is better than Toronto. Rest of the year, Portland is somewhat cloudier with more drizzle but much milder. If you like seeing green early in the spring and don't mind drizzle, Porland is better.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM

20,878 posts, read 22,462,461 times
Funny how the OP assumes everyone thinks overcast skies to be crappy. There are plenty of us who like cloudy days and it's one reason we choose to live in the PNW. And I would love to see the stats to back up his claim that the PNW is underpopulated" due to the fact that it is overcast much of the time. Apparently that hasn't dampened (pun intended) the population surge in Seattle and Portland over the past couple of decades.

Personally, I consider any city with perpetual sunny days the crappiest having the crappiest weather. That's why I don't live in one of those awful places.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,549,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Funny how the OP assumes everyone thinks overcast skies to be crappy. There are plenty of us who like cloudy days and it's one reason we choose to live in the PNW. And I would love to see the stats to back up his claim that the PNW is underpopulated" due to the fact that it is overcast much of the time. Apparently that hasn't dampened (pun intended) the population surge in Seattle and Portland over the past couple of decades.

Personally, I consider any city with perpetual sunny days the crappiest having the crappiest weather. That's why I don't live in one of those awful places.
Haha yeah I never knew that 4.4 million people in Seattle was WAY under populated! Guess its time to get rid on suburbs and focus on only high density condos from now on!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM

2,637 posts, read 2,476,086 times
Neither of them has crappy weather. Oceanic climates are very good because they lack scorching heat and bitter cold. May be, not everyone loves rain itself, but it makes vegetation lusher, keeping grass from being scorched.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,042,868 times
Hard to pick, they all have great weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or