U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the least crappy weather?
Vancouver 22 15.28%
Seattle 24 16.67%
Portland 98 68.06%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

This is a great response. I grew up in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia. I moved to the east coast of the USA (Connecticut/New York area) about 10 years ago and I have wanted to leave since I got here.
It's true what they say: "You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"...I miss the west coast like crazy. I get to go back once a year, to visit family, and of coure we always return in the summer, when it is at its most glorious...but we have wanted to relocate for years and the past four years we were seriously considering Colorado...but for some reason, we have been thwarted on all sides from making it happen, and just recently I started considering Portland, Oregon, as a place to relocate to...I love the idea of being back in the Pacific Northwest (even though I did used to struggle with the fall/winter grays), but I actually miss those magical misty days now...and I like the idea of being able to drive to Vancouver, BC, but still living in the US, in a hip, eco-conscious place...so I have been doing a lot of research and we are heading out this summer to explore Portland. I would love any advice. I don't quite know how to use this site - how do I PM you?

Many thanks,
Rocio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Underpopulated? Well thank you for that then. But by virtue of the traffic and growth the secret got out a very long time ago I'm afraid.

As a 4rd generation native I am a lifelong member of "Lesser Seattle" That being the clandestine group whose soul mission is to spread the myths regarding the suicide rates (nowhere near as high as you'd think), SAD (this can be real), and the "Seattle Freeze" (total BS in my opinion).

All seriousness aside. The weather is mild in comparison to all other areas. By mild it lacks extremes. Seattle for example has had one day in its history over 100 degrees. That's right, just one. The summer are glorious. Typically in the mid 70's, no humidity and no bugs.

As to the grey season. It's not for everyone to be sure. On the other hand, statistics that show the NW as perpetually grey can be very misleading as well. Often days listed as overcast have what we locals call "sun breaks". To go from blah to spectacular here happens in an instant. When the sun is out, is as pretty as a postcard around here.

I have traveled extensively. and when I meet other folks and they ask "How do you deal with all the rain there?" Mind you, when they are asking it might be 20 degrees and snowing & blowing sideways...I simply, would you prefer this, or 45 and drizzle? Or I might find myself in the sweltering heat and humidity of summer and I mention that I don't own an air conditioner and neither do 95% of those who live in Seattle.

The overcast days in the late fall to early spring are a real part of living here. So too are the days when the sun breaks out and you find yourself in complete awe of your surroundings. The natural splendor in the NW is eye popping.

As to your question which weather is better? Subjective really. The differences are subtle but a general rule is that Portland is 5 degrees or so hotter in the summer and winter. And while they get less snow (which in Seattle's case isn't much anyway) they are prone to an occasional ice storm.

Vancouver is a few degrees cooler still than Seattle.

Keep in mind that there are many micro climates in the NW The San Juan Islands for example are in the rain show of the Olympic Mountains. And while they sit in the middle of The Puget Sound, part of them get rain in the teens per year. Locals know this secret all too well. Some outsiders visit them never to leave.

As to the towns. Seattle and Vancouver are much more comparable to each other both in size and cosmopolitan feel. Busier downtowns, larger cities, worse traffic, etc. and major universities in their midst. Portland is growing, but still is more of a large town in my opinion. Great foodie, micro brew and coffee scene there. In that sense they compete well with their larger bretheren.

Bottom line. Well worth a visit. If you want specifics on great places to visit...pm me.

In general terms, the very best time to visit is the summer of course, which in these parts start July 5th. (a local joke as it often rains on the 4th) and runs through the later part of September.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
I live in Vancouver and I find there are huge variations depending on where you live. The further west or south you live in the city, the sunnier it is. I live in Kitsilano and there are lots of days in the winter where it's sunny in Kits and over the ocean but you can see the dark clouds over the North Shore or further east as the clouds bunch up against the mountains. Winters can be gloomy, but in certain parts of the city, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, when it does rain, it means it's snowing in Whistler and Mt. Baker

As far as summers go, Pacific Northwest summers are the best out there. Lots of sun, no wind, perfect temps, very little humidity and no thunderstorms. I'll take summer here over almost anywhere.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,914 times
I've lived in Portland, Oregon all of my life. It actually used to be colder here in Portland in the 50's and 60's, as compared to now, in the Winter time. It had even gotten below zero a few times. Snows were longer and harder. It seems more mild now. Yes, Portland has a lot of rain, but I love the rain, since I was born here. I keep hearing from friends in the East and they're complaining and crying about the long Winters there, the freezing rains, the 2 feet of snow just dumped on them in early March, etc., and here we are sitting in awesome Spring like weather here. Last Sunday was awesome, and every Sunny day in the Spring is awesome here in Portland, Oregon and our Autumn's are awesome as well (nothing can compare). I'll take the rain any day vs. the long Winters in the East.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,479,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbed feet View Post
I've lived in Portland, Oregon all of my life. It actually used to be colder here in Portland in the 50's and 60's, as compared to now, in the Winter time. It had even gotten below zero a few times. Snows were longer and harder. It seems more mild now.
Correction: the winters have got milder. The summers are much hotter than they used to be! Even compared to when I first moved to Oregon in the early 2000s they seem hotter.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:20 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,575,937 times
Perception indeed is everything. I live in Florida right now and would take PAC Northwest weather over anywhere in the country, but that's just me.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
In the Pacific Northwest, the rule of thumb is that the further south you go in the Cascadian Corridor (North terminus: Vancouver; Middle: Victoria & Seattle; South terminus: Portland), the better the weather, the more the sunlight, and less of the cold and rain (even if it's ever so slightly at best).

On a personal note, I've seen a multiplicity of examples from these specific cities on the same day, in person, and would say that the rule of thumb checks out, though the differences I've personally felt, this past winter, between the four cities is marginal at best overall.

The differences don't really feel that huge though.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 AM

633 posts, read 847,399 times
Well, for me, the Portland weather is not that bad, I grew up in Paris, but have traveled a lot (lived in London, Liege (Belgium), Boston and Montreal), and spent a winter in Portland.

Winter :
Boston -> Clear but cold and long... and most of the time snowy.
Montreal -> Must have the worst winter I have ever experienced... Freaking cold, lot and lots of snow, harsh wind, icy roads, icy sidewalk... I think it has the worst winter of any city I have ever visited in my life...
Paris - London - Liege -> Similar winter, grey, cloudy, cold and rainy. When I look online weather, Paris winter look lot like Portland winter but colder but with less rain (I mean negligible, Portland can have like 2-3 more rainy day during winter months).
So my pick here would be Portland / Paris, I hate long icey cold snowy winter.

Spring :
Boston -> kind of pleasant, still too cold for a spring (early spring) but tend to get hot reaching june.
Montreal -> Still cold with temperature that would make most city cold winter, snowy, kind of clear. but start to get hot in June.
Paris - London -> Start to see many shinny days, pleasant, hotter than Boston and the north american northeast.
Liege -> Cloudy and grey... But not cold.
Portland -> Temperature getting close to Parisian summer ones (19C) and many sunny / partial sunny days (according to theweathernetwork dot com).
My pick would be Portland.

Summer :
Boston -> Hot... hot and humid... hot, humid, rainy (thunder storm) and without A/C, you won't survive... But I like very hot summer.
Montreal -> Hot and humid but not as hot as Boston or DC.. You coulld make it without A/C. But frequent thunderstorms.
Paris - London -> 1 month of hot pleasant weather then the rest is just rain and cold temp... My last summer in Paris, I wore a jacket from mid- july to september...
Liege -> 2 weeks of hot nice temperature then ...Cloudy and grey...
Portland -> Well... the best summer i ever spent was in Portland... No rain, barely cloudy day, no humidity... almost perfect.
My pick : Portland, then Boston.

Fall
Verry short : Never experienced Portland fall.
Liked boston one, Montreal one was ok, Paris, London and Liege... cloudy... My pick : Boston then Montreal.

So, Portland doesn't have a crappy weather... Compare season VS season and you will see that you are well off in Portland. I guess Californian relocating there are saying Portland weather sucks.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 AM

15,356 posts, read 8,031,052 times
Definitely Portland. But it's not so much better that I would consider it to be a major factor in deciding where to live. It gets much better in southern Oregon around Medford.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 14,590,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Definitely Portland. But it's not so much better that I would consider it to be a major factor in deciding where to live. It gets much better in southern Oregon around Medford.
In Medford we have a similar winter - cool, cloudy, misty, occasional morning fog, a dusting of snow once or twice a winter - it's just shorter. Roughly Nov-beginning of March.

But, unlike Portland, we have a very hot summer. 10-13 days a summer where the high temp is over 100 and about 4-5 weeks where the average high is 91. Not as hot as Redding or Chico to the south, but still hot, particularly if you are from Portland.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 PM

15,356 posts, read 8,031,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In Medford we have a similar winter - cool, cloudy, misty, occasional morning fog, a dusting of snow once or twice a winter - it's just shorter. Roughly Nov-beginning of March.

But, unlike Portland, we have a very hot summer. 10-13 days a summer where the high temp is over 100 and about 4-5 weeks where the average high is 91. Not as hot as Redding or Chico to the south, but still hot, particularly if you are from Portland.
For me, that's much better, especially the shorter duration of the rain and clouds of winter...Medford sun hours are significantly more than Portland over a year. The warmer summer highs allow water sports as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or