Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the least crappy weather?
Vancouver 30 16.85%
Seattle 30 16.85%
Portland 118 66.29%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's true and the Midwestern transplants do make that comment frequently about the Northwest--that they don't find the winter weather that bad out here. But I always hear Northeast/East Coast transplants complaining that they'd rather have a cold, brisk yet sunny day(below freezing even) back East than the constant grey skies of the winter in the Northwest.
Yeah, I can see that. Boston in the winter is generally clear but cold. Detroit is just cloudy from November to April on top of cold. Maybe Seattle gets a little more clouds than Detroit, maybe.... But it sure as hell is warmer.

That being said, nights during the summer in Seattle are kinda chilly. I always found myself reaching for my hoody. I kinda like to sweat a bit in the summer, it just doesn't feel right when it is July and I can't be comfortable outside shirtless.

Same thing in LA by the coast. I prefer about 10 miles in land, that way you get those warmer summer days and nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I didn't know it was that similar, I thought the locations near water might change it more drastically or something. Similar to how Sacramento can have drastically different weather on the same day as San Francisco.
You need to go across the Cascade range to get that kind of pronounced difference in climate and temperatures. Places like Spokane, Bend, OR and Kelowna, BC can be 10 degrees warmer in the summer or much colder and snowier in the winter than Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver. Eastern WA & Oregon and South Central BC are semi arid climates, simillar to inland areas of Northern California. Places like Yakima and the Tri Cities down in the valleys in Eastern WA can easily reach 95-100 when Seattle is 75-80. Sometimes when it was a dreay overcast day in June when I lived in Seattle and the clouds wouldn't clear and the temps would not break 70 my friends and I would drive over the pass on I-90 over to Moses Lake in Eastern WA to chase the sun and have a real summer day.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Seattle & Vancouver have pretty much the same weather. Difference of a few degrees here & there...Portland is definitely warmer in the summer and tends to have less rain (but still alot).
It's more the commonality of gloomy weather that links that region. Also, a high proportion of reserved, introverted types. Guess that has to do with weather too (just not sunny/ warm enough to bring out jubilee in ppl..or cold or frigid enough to build 'warmth' in ppl - just my take)

Great summers there though.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Also, a high proportion of reserved, introverted types. Guess that has to do with weather too (just not sunny/ warm enough to bring out jubilee in ppl..or cold or frigid enough to build 'warmth' in ppl - just my take)
This is patently false. Shall we list here all the blatant uninformed generalizations of folks from Southern California?

Long list it would be.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
So would you say Portland also has a "longer" summer also? I.E. the grey ends quicker in the Spring, and starts later in the Fall?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So would you say Portland also has a "longer" summer also? I.E. the grey ends quicker in the Spring, and starts later in the Fall?
A look at the average highs/lows for June and October would certainly suggest so, although I think the difference is minimal.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

That being said, nights during the summer in Seattle are kinda chilly..
Makes for great sleeping. Open a window...all is good.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 34,882 times
Are you talking metro areas? Because Vancouver varies drastically. You can live on the North Shore, where they get over 60 inches per year of rain, or down at White Rock, where they probably get half that much rain, and more sunshine.

Vancouver's micro-climates vary too much to lump it all together.

For me, just looking at that stats, Portland looks too hot. I live in Toronto, and Portland appears just as hot as Toronto in the summer. And Toronto's summer's are too hot for my liking.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM

18 posts, read 34,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And that's why I abandoned the thought of trying to move to Vancouver BC, which I mulled over for a year or two. It was the realization that it was Canada's "Miami"...essentially one of the milder/warmer areas in the country.
Huh? Why would Vancouver being one of the warmer areas in Canada stop you from moving there? That makes no sense.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajonRondo View Post
Are you talking metro areas? Because Vancouver varies drastically. You can live on the North Shore, where they get over 60 inches per year of rain, or down at White Rock, where they probably get half that much rain, and more sunshine.

Vancouver's micro-climates vary too much to lump it all together.

For me, just looking at that stats, Portland looks too hot. I live in Toronto, and Portland appears just as hot as Toronto in the summer. And Toronto's summer's are too hot for my liking.
Assuming Toronto gets as hot as all the other cities in the eastern half of the continent do, then you would be wrong. Plus Portland is never humid in the summer, so its about a trillion times more comfortable than Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City